Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Sim

• 03-08-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Jus wondering if there are any android dual sim phones? If so , any recommended? Really can't understand why the dual sim trend never tok off :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

OK is it time for one of these yet ? I need Dual SIM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah they're available from here http://www.chinabuye.com/cell-phone-accessories/mobile-phones/android ... They cost slightly more than the bog standard dual sim phones (also available from that site) but still cheap enough... They come with 2 batteries because the dual sims take up a lot of juice!

I don't know how reputable the site is but I've placed a cheap order with them so I'll let you know as soon as/if I get it. They claim 15-30 days delivery and accept paypal so perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Really can't understand why the dual sim trend never tok off :(

That's easy to explain.
    Dual SIMS are often wanted to have two different networks on one phone. Most phones are sold by the networks, which have no interest, that their competition can be used on a phone they are subsidizing. So the phone manufacturer have no incentive to build dual SIM phones, as no network would sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you used to be able to buy thing called a multi-sim which could store up to 12 sim card images on one "multi" sim card, but you can't get them any more unfortunately from what i can see.

it basically allows you to copy your sim cards via a usb dongle and then insert multiple sim copies onto a single sim card which you then manage from your phone with (afaik) just a simple power cycle. iirc it even allowed you to have two numbers active simultaneously if your phone supported it.

strangely enough i bought one back when they were available and i recently found it again, although i've never actually used it. it also appears to be GSM only, so no high speed data by the looks of it, although i'm not 100% sure if that is sim dependant or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I was mooching about for a DUal SIM a few days back and stumbled across a big name phone, granted, I think it's a rebrand..

Marketed in India at the moment.

Motorola Glam - (Motorola XT800 ZHISHANG)

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_xt800_zhishang-3073.php

Some video..

Doesn't look too bad.

EDIT: isn't there a risk with some Chinese Dual SIM devices being blocked in Ireland if they have EMEI's that are just a string of 00000000000's..

I read somewhere that one or other of the networks don't play nice with the above situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Magic Sim 26th edition is confirmed as working with the HTC Desire.

Its has an app that lets you change SIM card whenever you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Amalgam wrote: »
    EDIT: isn't there a risk with some Chinese Dual SIM devices being blocked in Ireland if they have EMEI's that are just a string of 00000000000's..

I read somewhere that one or other of the networks don't play nice with the above situation.
    not sure, but i can tell you that (at least a few years ago when i was doing some work for them) one of the major operators in ireland used to use cloned sims in GSM PDA's so staff could road test them without having to arse around swapping sim cards out of their regular phones. :)

EDIT: had a play with the one i have and it's so old that it only reads GSM SIM's not 3G ones, so it's pretty much useless now either way. :(

Advertisement