Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light corn syrup

Options
  • 03-08-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Drooling over peanut brittle recipes and it calls for light corn syrup now I know there are substitutions (joyofbaking site has a great list of alternatives) but would prefer to use actual light corn syrup.
    Does anyone know if it's easily available?

Not golden syrup, this stuff is clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can get the Karo brand in Fallon & Byrne, or liquid glucose in Kitchen Complements, which will do the same thing. But the best value is in the Asia Market on Drury St. and the Oriental Emporium at Jervis LUAS stop, as they sell a 1ltr bottle of a korean brand of corn syrup, it's about €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

korean corn syrup - excellent, thanks. I have 2 bottles of karo that I picked up in Boston last month, had seen it in F&B too but good to know there's an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Here's a photo of it. In the oriental emporium, it's €3.20/1.2kg. There's more information on the use of corn syrup, here, here and here.
    In confections like brittle and fudge, etc. it's mainly used as a "doctor" i.e. something that controls sugar crystallisation, as well as having various other properties (humectant, gives texture, low sweetness.)

Advertisement