Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaces*being*converted*to*asterisks*in*message*on*preview

Options
  • 03-08-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'm*responding*to*a*thread*and*when*I*click*the*"Preview*Post"*spaces*are*changed*to**.

e.g.*I*type*"Another*ten*months*on"*and*it*gets*changed*to*"Another*ten*months*on".**Every*space*character*is*getting*munged*the*same*way.

What's*going*on?

Edit:*See!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think the problem is on you end.

What are you using to type?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

It's*still*happening*this*morning.
    Browser*is*Opera*10.60*on*Fedora*11.
    Here's*a*screenshot*of*the*textbox*before*pressing*submit.

Can you try Firefox and see if you get the same result?

This is Opera 10.60 on F13 on a different machine and it's not happening.
    Now I'm mystified.

What possible setting is there in a browser that would convert spaces to asterisks on web form when it's submitted? That would surely be a contender for the least useful option in the short history of computing.

That is bizarre.

Do let us know if you find out WTF is going on. :)

• Advertisement

I think I've figured it out.
    The third or fourth-level modifier key must have somehow got logically stuck active for the space bar.
    On my keyboard map that makes pressing space generate a non-breakable space (HTML:  ) here's one inside the quotes: "*". When typed it looks the same as any other space except that line breaks will try to avoid them. Come to think of it, the lines were breaking in a funny way when I was typing.
    I presume vBulletin converts non-printable characters to asterisk and so all spaces appeared as such when submitted.
    Anyway, mystery solved, although I don't know how that specific modifier got stuck but I'll not worry about it and I'm sure no one else will either.

That's mad, Ted.

Thanks for the updated. No doubt we will see it again at some stage, so it serves as a reference.

Advertisement