Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless & LAN issue

Options
  • 03-08-2010 11:21pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

The wifi card in my desktop PC is rubbish and doesn't pick up a signal while my laptop does fine, so I connected my laptop to my desktop via a network cable and setup a basic LAN between the two of them, so that I could transfer files to the desktop. However it seems that while the lan connection is enabled, I can't access the web via the wireless on the laptop. It stays connected to the router but I can't load any webpages.

Any ideas how to get around the problem?

... and also, if so, how can I setup my desktop to access the internet through the laptop's wireless?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

The wifi card in my desktop PC is rubbish and doesn't pick up a signal while my laptop does fine, so I connected my laptop to my desktop via a network cable and setup a basic LAN between the two of them, so that I could transfer files to the desktop. However it seems that while the lan connection is enabled, I can't access the web via the wireless on the laptop. It stays connected to the router but I can't load any webpages.

Any ideas how to get around the problem?

... and also, if so, how can I setup my desktop to access the internet through the laptop's wireless?

Thanks

you could try setting the WLAN to the top of the priority list in the network settings on the laptop.. is it windows XP? tbh what you are trying to do sounds very messy! would it not be possible to move the wireless router to near the PC and connected a cable directly from that to the NIC on the PC?

also, are you able to transfer files between desktop and laptop? if you are dont worry but normally you need a cross over cable if going from nic to nic...

also remove the gateway ip from the wired connection if one exists ..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

corkcomp wrote: »
    you could try setting the WLAN to the top of the priority list in the network settings on the laptop.. is it windows XP? tbh what you are trying to do sounds very messy! would it not be possible to move the wireless router to near the PC and connected a cable directly from that to the NIC on the PC?

also, are you able to transfer files between desktop and laptop? if you are dont worry but normally you need a cross over cable if going from nic to nic...

also remove the gateway ip from the wired connection if one exists ..
    Not sure how to change the priority list. It is XP.

It's only a temporary thing anyway but I can't move the router. Ordinarily I do have the PC connected by a cable but the PC has to be moved away for a while. I'm able to transfer files over without a crossover cable but as I say the wireless connection doesn't work while it's enabled.

Advertisement