Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks of DCM training (sub 3 attempt)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Dont forget you owe me a pint:D

Woah, I went to buy it for you and you refused it. No back tracking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play to you on the sub 3 - well deserved. Great report aswell. You did well to get out of the dip around halfway aswell - that would break some people.

Hope you enjoyed the pints.... whats next on the agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Man I watched the video of you at the finish.......brilliant stuff, you lost the plot. Funniest part though wasnt yourself, it was a baldy lad behind you wearing shades crossing the line looking like he's about to drop dead......

http://mysports.tv/default2.asp?e=DM10M&l=EN&n=ANDY%20HANRAHAN&r=2138&ct_s1=&nt_s1=&ct_s2=09:46:13&nt_s2=00:42:43&ct_s3=10:33:51&nt_s3=01:30:21&ct_s4=11:11:13&nt_s4=02:07:43&ct_f=12:02:47&nt_f=02:59:17&player=1&random=7867&k=finishtotaal&index=12&index=11&index=10&index=9&index=1&cct=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000&player=1&player=1&player=1&player=1

very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Killerz wrote: »
    Fair play to you on the sub 3 - well deserved. Great report aswell. You did well to get out of the dip around halfway aswell - that would break some people.

Hope you enjoyed the pints.... whats next on the agenda?
    Hey thanks Killerz and congrats yourself on an excellent recent PB. Not sure whats next but easy running for the next few weeks and maybe the aware 10km in December. I don't know really.
    tunguska wrote: »
    Man I watched the video of you at the finish.......brilliant stuff, you lost the plot. Funniest part though wasnt yourself, it was a baldy lad behind you wearing shades crossing the line looking like he's about to drop dead......

http://mysports.tv/default2.asp?e=DM10M&l=EN&n=ANDY%20HANRAHAN&r=2138&ct_s1=&nt_s1=&ct_s2=09:46:13&nt_s2=00:42:43&ct_s3=10:33:51&nt_s3=01:30:21&ct_s4=11:11:13&nt_s4=02:07:43&ct_f=12:02:47&nt_f=02:59:17&player=1&random=7867&k=finishtotaal&index=12&index=11&index=10&index=9&index=1&cct=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000&player=1&player=1&player=1&player=1

very funny.

Ha, he is in a bit of a mess alright. Gurning finishes = giving it everything.

I want to wrap things up a bit and summarise things for the sub 3 thread. I think I might keep this log running until I decide on another plan/log.

Just want to thank everyone for their 'well done' comments and all of the positive contributions in this log over the last 12 weeks. Many of which snapped me out of my negative thoughts. That in itself a massive learning. Unfortunately the only negative I had on Monday was not seeing more people make the sub 3 from the logs. I got lucky and I had some things in my favour. Some of the learnings below made it for me, hopefully 1 or 2 of them might help.

Disclaimer: Obviously, some of this is my opinion, what works/worked for me.

Learnings.

I learned a lot on Monday and during training but I also learned a lot about the race I had in Rotterdam. All the way through training for DCM, I never felt like I was running as free or as strong as back in April. My 10m time in March (62'12 finishing like a train) was a lot better than my Dublin half time in Sept (1'24'45 ok but finishing sick and horrible). Not only that, Rotterdam was way way easier than DCM. What I mean here is, I was way fitter for Rotterdam...I just know it. So how'd I do it this time?

- The pacers at DCM. A hugh benefit. I won't say I wouldn't have done it without them, I think I would if I'm honest but who knows. All I know is that it was so much easier to zone out come mile 18 when I was right up next to him. I'm so greatful for the pacer and I think its a really generous thing to do. Major thanks for that.

- The experience of running 3'00'30 in Rotterdam. Not stressing too much over time and knowing I could run a 3hr marathon (with negative split) and not blow up was big. Being sick on the last week of taper, I wouldn't have gone for sub 3 if I didn't know this. I was injured after Rotterdam for about 8weeks and had a bad time of things but that marathon and the training was still in my legs. Muscle memory and all that? In a way, being sick took the pressure off. I had nothing to loose but still I was desperate for sub 3.

- Home town marathon. Knowing the route helps big time and Tunguska's post detailing all of the miles was very useful. It meant there was no 'ah sh!t' thoughts when you come across a hill. You expect to see it and get on with it. I also had a good nights sleep the two nights before the race, in my own bed and ate all of the food I was used to. Lovely.

- I'm not sure if this helped. I had a better final two days of eating and drinking water. I made more of an effort with this than previous times making sure I ate lots of smaller size carb meals and drinking lots of water. I sipped on water all week because I figured I was loosing lots of water with the very runny nose I had. Might have been nothing but I'll stick to this next time.

- I now think (and I'm going back on what I said) that it is better to go for close to even splits. Thinking back, I ran out of miles in Rotterdam trying to pull back ~90 seconds from 18miles. I think if doing this, you need to go for it at half way. I do think that a negative split is the way to go but so long as you don't leave too much work to do too late. Might be different for a course like NY or Boston where there are though hills at the end. I don't know.

- Note to self. I need to stop looking back at how I felt before and comparing to the present. I moaned a lot during training this time and wanted to bin the sub 3 attempt because I felt I wasn't as stong as when I had a 3hr marathon at a flat course. This is silly stuff. Every race has its own story and you never know what can happen. Be positive.

- A general point we all hear. So much of marathon running is in the head. I always thought that this was a load of crap. Its not crap. Obviously, you need serious training to run sub 3 and you need to not blow up. I think its important to point out that if you blow up, your mind can get you home and that in itself is a serious acheivement. I'm talking more about the later stages of the race were you haven't blown up, when you are hurting like hell and you really want to slow down, your mind is telling you to ease off. Don't listen to that sh1t at mile 23. It is so important to be positive during the race, believe you can do it and don't give into the demons. I had bad thougths during the race on Monday. I mean I was hurting but its amazing how your mind can snap you out of it.

- You need to be comfortable for the first 6 miles or so. I mean I think it really should feel like you are holding right back.

- As per training for Rotterdam what worked for me was the 2 big workouts per week. The LSR was either long and slow or slow with PMP miles at the end. See training attached. There is also a worksheet for my Rotterdam training. The med/long run during the week was a mix of Brendan O'Sheas Fartlek advice or Tergats big workout of 4x2m @ HMP. A brilliant session I did was a 4x3m @ MP with 2m warm up and 2m cool down on the thurs of the 3rd last week.

- Believe in the training you have bagged.

- Lunaracers. I wore these on Monday and I gotta say, they are brilliant. So cushioned and light. B O'Shea recommended wearing racing shoes so thats what I did. Don't know if they made a difference but I'll wear them again only because I had no problems with them. Although I have got bruises on my feet now but feck it.

Thats all I can think of right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Belated Congrats Misty, well done on a great achievement!
    I bet your glad you didn't decide to trundle around with me;)

Well done yourself Elfoyzer. A PB in the bag, you faded at the end but you kept going and bagged a great time, well done. Sub 3 next time.

Yeah I thought I'd give myself a chance, going close before, I had nothing to loose really. Everything clicked for me after a run of bad luck. should have told you on the Sunday night that I wasn't going for 3:05...sorry. You see I was sick when I told you I'd go for 3:05 and then cleared up.

Enjoy the break.

Fri 29th Oct
    3m very slow. Legs didn't like that one so I went really slow and even walked a little. More days off required.

Mon 1st Nov
    7.5m with a couple of lads from the club. Headed up the canal at park west and up to clondalkin. Got to 4 miles and bumped into a mate out for a walk so I joined him and let the others run on. They were going a little too hard for me, into a headwind. Got going again but my quads were burning. Quite sore. Jesus, I wrecked myself last week. Will do my own thing for the rest of the week. No fast miles and I must get to bed earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fri 29th Oct
    No fast miles and I must get to bed earlier.
    Good choice. No hard running! You should be putting the feet up and enjoying a few pints, and the odd 'slightly quicker than a stroll'.

Good choice. No hard running! You should be putting the feet up and enjoying a few pints, and the odd 'slightly quicker than a stroll'.

I spent Sunday on the couch, dying. Such a waste of a day. Typical all or nothing with me. You seem to be able to have a couple and head out running the next morning. Envious of that. I had some nice beers in the porter house all the same.

Tues 2nd Nov
    4m untimed, very slow.
    Terrible conditions but after a stressful day in work I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Wed 3rd Nov
    7m easy around Phoenix park with some of the lads. Good one.

2nd week post DCM
    • Mon 1st: 7.5m first 4m pushed a little too much.
    • Tues 2nd: 4m untimed, very slow.
    • Wed 3rd: 7m easy
    • Thurs 4th: Rest
    • Fri 5th: 3m easy
    • Sat 6th: 11.5m easy with some hills (7:51m/m)
    • Sun 7th: Rest

Total: 33m for the week.

Saturdays 11.5m was great and crap. I'm back with the same nerve tension issue I had after Rotterdam. This problem hasn't been fully sorted since and DCM hasn't helped. I can run easy but I know if I step it up it'll get bad. I'm thinking of rejoining the gym near me to do some swimming, bike (stationary sucks but I aint cycling in the evenings) and weights. Hate to admit it to myself but I got to do the exercises my Physio gave me back in May. Damn it!

I really want to work on these things but I'm a little afraid of loosing running fitness. Its a good time (for me) to chill out on the running though. Decisions. Will have a think, decide, finish this training log and start a new one.

Advertisement