Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks of DCM training (sub 3 attempt)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

good sessions misty - i think daniels has the tempo pace at 6:26 for sub3 vdot. I run by time as well, i prefer it as it stops you racing to get sessions complete, there's no incentive to run faster than the prescribed pace as the time is the time.

But i think seany means you can set up the watch to count down the time or distance for you and it will show your average pace using the training centre. It will also beep you to slow down or speed up if your pace falls out of the right zone.

That last arcade fire album was a bit of a sham, funeral was super...saw them at the EP followed by Kraftwerk - amazing stuff. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

asimonov wrote: »
    But i think seany means you can set up the watch to count down the time or distance for you and it will show your average pace using the training centre. It will also beep you to slow down or speed up if your pace falls out of the right zone.

yup, thats what i mean, last time i did the 4x 12mins Tempo, i set it up as 4x (12min tempo, 2mins rest) but you could do the following:
    4x (12min tempo, rest until i hit the lap button)

anyway, just a though, but once you know what your doing, thats the main thing....

i find i always race faster than i train, i did a 64:31min 10m race on the back of 6:40-6:45m/m tempo training, max 5miles Tempo of 7m total.
    as i say, hopefully get the tempo down to sub6:20 and that might give me the cushion along with some good quality LSR's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Cheers Sean/Asimonov, I see what you mean now about the Garmin. I'll set that up properly, it would be especially useful for the 5min hard - 5min easy etc session that I did on Thurs. I'm sure I can set it up to tell me average pace for each of the 5min hard bits....I'd like to know that.

Sun 15th Aug
    20m LSR (with last 5m near marathon pace).
    First 15m was at a crap pace but thats how easy felt today. Maybe I was holding back for the MP miles? Anyway, Last 5m: 6:50/6:43/6:40/6:53/6:30

That was a real mental battle to hit those numbers for the MP miles. I just happened to be listening to a psychologist from a www.marathontalk.com podcast about being positive and focus on how I'm improving, how well I'm doing instead of how hard it felt. Tick off the miles and concentrate on the next one. Worked well cause I was working very hard.

Some hills in middle. 2xgels & 800mls water. Nice and warm too, great day for it.

9th - 15th August

Mon: 5m easy
    Tues: 4x12min @ 6:22m/m on grass (11.5m total)
    Wed: 6.5m easy
    Thurs: Fartlek. 5x(5min hard, 5min easy). Hilly. 9.6m Total
    Fri: 11.2m easy
    Sat: rest
    Sun: 20m with last 5 near PMP. First 15 slow. Some hills.

63.8m Total for week.

Ease up a bit for the Frank Duffy next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Yeah I've had that album a few weeks now and have given it a few listens. I like it a lot. Prefare it to the second album anyway. They are playing in the O2 and tickets on sale next Friday but its €62 and like I said I'm smashed.

Fri 13th Aug
    Mrs Floyd (to be) robbed my garmin. Delighted to hear she ran 10m in training for the Frank Duffy. Fair play. Anyway, don't know what my pace was but according to gmaps: 11.2miles and it was run easy.

I have to disagree a bit man, I thought Neon Bible was top, gets better every time I listen to it, some great stuff going on there. My body is a gage is an absolute belter of a song.

Delighted to see that Car is doing the 10miler, thats amazing. I mean 5k and 10ks are a different game to a 10miler, thats a proper race. Man I think she has potential. Be interested to see how she gets on. She'll be doing dublin marathon next year............

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Delighted to see that Car is doing the 10miler, thats amazing. I mean 5k and 10ks are a different game to a 10miler, thats a proper race. Man I think she has potential. Be interested to see how she gets on. She'll be doing dublin marathon next year............

ha she's sitting here beside me. She laughed. The 5miler killed her so fair play.

How did you get on with that schedule you posted above?

ha she's sitting here beside me. She laughed. The 5miler killed her so fair play.

How did you get on with that schedule you posted above?

Fridays 20 was great, rock solid tempo throughout. Saturday I felt a bit tired though, it was a recovery day so that was ok. First 10, legs felt heavy, second 10 I felt brand new though.
    Got up today and the stomach felt a bit dodgy, but the work had to be done regardless of how I felt so off I went. Shouldve went out earlier in the day, went at 1pm and it was baking hot. I ended up knocking back 3 litres of water over the course of the entire run and even that wasnt enough. First 13miles flew by but I had a bad patch at 18miles. Has happened before and when it does the temptation to quit and call it a day is massive. But I saw a documentary once about ultra endurance runners and in it this guy talked about the phases he goes through on long runs. He says that sometimes you hit a bad patch, a point where you just want to quit and leave it at that, but its just a phase and will pass. Most people will quit at this point but if you hang on you;ll be ok in a few minutes. So I always think about that when I struggle, and he was spot on because it always passes. So I was fine again by 20miles and just hammered away until the end(26.6miles). Bit short so I need to add in a little bit for next time. Man Im hijacking your log big time here.......

Arcade fire gig is a little pricey and I reckon this show will sell out in no time. But Im sure they'll announce a second date, I'll go to that one.

Hijack away, thats great stuff. You must have found it hard to hit target pace with the sun? It was some day alright, I'm burnt anyway.

Yeah second date is what seems to happen these days. Will be a cracking gig. By the way, I like neon bible but prefare suburbs. Funeral is by far my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Misty,

I found your log and was going to post earlier, but after reading of tunguska's weekend exploits I had to lie down and rest for a few hours - that weekend is pretty much a peak week's mileage for me, nearer two weeks these days! Savage.

I reckon you're well set up for a great run in DCM. You looked good after the 5 miler and that was a good time - I could only manage 31:18 last year and I thought I was in peak shape then - needless to say I improved a lot over the next few months. It's a good sign when you can ramp up to a long run with PMP miles with no trouble. I'll be watching with interest.

Thanks very much Aero. Yeah I'm getting back to where I was but not there yet. I wouldn't say the 20 with PMP miles was no trouble but a couple more of them and I think I'll be in a good place.

Yeah, great to see that commitment from Tunguska. It does show you what you can do with lots of hard work.
    You don't really need to be hitting big weeks in fairness. Quality over quantity. Might see you on Saturday and good luck with it Aero.

Mon 16th Aug
    5m recovery run.

Tues 17th Aug
    Christ I was knackered today. I went home to bed after a busy day in work and my alarm went off at 6.30. Had to be at club at 7 for 1000's or else I was taking a lazy rest day. Made it anyway

1.5m easy to the polo grounds.
    6x1km with 90s recovery. My average pace for each km stayed at 5:59m/m after each rep. Held back on these as the 20miler was in the legs and I didn't see any point killing myself....I'll save that for Saturday. Ok I didn't set up the watch like asimonov and seany suggested my brain wasn't working.
    1.5m cool down.

Injury pretty much gone. Just a niggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Thanks very much Aero. Yeah I'm getting back to where I was but not there yet. I wouldn't say the 20 with PMP miles was no trouble but a couple more of them and I think I'll be in a good place.

Yeah, great to see that commitment from Tunguska. It does show you what you can do with lots of hard work.
    You don't really need to be hitting big weeks in fairness. Quality over quantity. Might see you on Saturday and good luck with it Aero.

Mon 16th Aug
    5m recovery run.

Tues 17th Aug
    Christ I was knackered today. I went home to bed after a busy day in work and my alarm went off at 6.30. Had to be at club at 7 for 1000's or else I was taking a lazy rest day. Made it anyway

1.5m easy to the polo grounds.
    6x1km with 90s recovery. My average pace for each km stayed at 5:59m/m after each rep. Held back on these as the 20miler was in the legs and I didn't see any point killing myself....I'll save that for Saturday. Ok I didn't set up the watch like asimonov and seany suggested my brain wasn't working.
    1.5m cool down.

Injury pretty much gone. Just a niggle.

Good stuff Misty - whats the target for Saturday's race ? What would you be happy with in terms of the main sub three hour goal. (Just curious as obviously we're on a similar track but I haven't a clue what to go for on Saturday myself )
    LL

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Good stuff Misty - whats the target for Saturday's race ? What would you be happy with in terms of the main sub three hour goal. (Just curious as obviously we're on a similar track but I haven't a clue what to go for on Saturday myself )
    LL

Hey Lex,
    Well 4 weeks before Rotterdam I did 62'12. I'm not as fit as then but getting there and I reckon by 4 weeks before Dublin I want to be fitter than 62. So target for Saturdays race is 62 even though I'm not as fit, I'm going to go for that to know how far behind I am. I'd be happy sub 64 all the same and I'm going to empty the tank anyway. Having only run one properly paced marathon, I think I'm better at the 10miler and below distance. I think. So I'm not the best gauge anyway.

What about yourself Lex, whats your plan? and how did the kilomarathon go for you? Take a while to recover? Will you be doing any kind of long run this weekend or are you dropping it?

LL

More log hijacking here, hope you dont mind Misty.........

Lex, I think you should shoot for sub 60mins. You might not get there but then again theres a good chance you will. You put in a good run in the kilomarathon and that was a tough race. Sub 60 after that is easy. Aim high, you'll learn a lot from this race.

tunguska wrote: »
    More log hijacking here, hope you dont mind Misty.........

Lex, I think you should shoot for sub 60mins. You might not get there but then again theres a good chance you will. You put in a good run in the kilomarathon and that was a tough race. Sub 60 after that is easy. Aim high, you'll learn a lot from this race.

Hi Misty - sorry about the hi-jack !!!!
    Tunguska, you're kidding me right ? I was thinking i might have an outside hance at sub 63 at best.
    Clearly d to look deep into my soul between now and tomorrow at 10...

Misty hopefully catch up with you at some stage tomorrow - areyou going to the marathon talk afterwards ?

Misty hopefully catch up with you at some stage tomorrow - areyou going to the marathon talk afterwards ?

Hey Lex, yeah I think I'll be wearing the singlet although last time I tried it on, it didn't fit. I blame the washing machine :o Yes, I'm heading to the club after. Would be good to do a couple miles cool down after though, I hope we aren't meeting too soon after the race.

Lads, I told yee Hijack away. Its interesting stuff, 'my loga, su loga' :D

Wed 18th Aug
    5.3m recovery

Thurs 19th Aug
    Went out for 8m, felt like **** and just done 3m.....listen to the body.

Fri 20th Aug
    Rest

Sat 21st Aug
    Frank Duffy 10m

Went for a PB today knowing I wasn't as fit as then (62'12 in Galway March this year). I didn't really know what to do at the start and just went with it thinking I could dig deeper than ever before. I figured that I'd see where I was at at least.

After the first mile, even sooner actually, I knew I was gonna have a tough race. I just felt I wasn't fit enough for the pace and general tiredness

%$£%%$^$£&$&£$^&

blah blah and blah blah blah. 64'39.

I was gonna write down how it went but it was sick and I don't feel like it.

Anyway, I'll stop being a baby. Positives: It was a tough session, I learnt lots (start comfortably), I know how much work I gotta do. Leeds won today.

My gf finished well today and lots of boardsies nailed it. Well done. I'm going for a few beers. Up the Dubs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Don't let it get to you Misty, it looks like lots of very good runners struggled today - many were 2 mins down on what you might expect.

And 64:39 is a good time to set you up for sub -3 in Dublin, I could only manage 64:50 last year and I didn't have any injury problems in the previous few months.

Enjoy the beers!

aero2k wrote: »
    Don't let it get to you Misty, it looks like lots of very good runners struggled today - many were 2 mins down on what you might expect.

And 64:39 is a good time to set you up for sub -3 in Dublin, I could only manage 64:50 last year and I didn't have any injury problems in the previous few months.

Enjoy the beers!

Thanks Aero, you are right. I'd enjoy the beers if she'd hurry up getting ready :D zzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

After the first mile, even sooner actually, I knew I was gonna have a tough race. I just felt I wasn't fit enough for the pace and general tiredness

Hard luck on the run, I felt very similar today. I started fast trying too get ino a nice stride but things went downhill after that. That was a great talk by Brendan inspirational, felt like going for a 23miler in the afternoon:), I did'nt realise how good those guys were in there day, savage stuff. Enjoy the beers.

hard luck today misty, you are still in good form for a sub 3 in oct.... mcmillan will tell you that, so just keep plugging away with the training and you will be grand....up the rebels!!!

• Advertisement

misty, go easy on yourself, today was just a minor speed bump on the way to the real goal........big picture man, big picture !

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Hard luck on the run, I felt very similar today. I started fast trying too get ino a nice stride but things went downhill after that. That was a great talk by Brendan inspirational, felt like going for a 23miler in the afternoon:), I did'nt realise how good those guys were in there day, savage stuff. Enjoy the beers.

Starting downhill isn't good. Yeah that talk was great. Jim McNamara is a top bloke too. Him and Willie were in the Montreal '76 olympics. Loads of great stories out of them. Now they trained hard.
    seanynova wrote: »
    hard luck today misty, you are still in good form for a sub 3 in oct.... mcmillan will tell you that, so just keep plugging away with the training and you will be grand....up the rebels!!!

Cheers Sean, appreciate some of your comments ;) I'm heading into the game now actually. Up the Dubs !
    misty, go easy on yourself, today was just a minor speed bump on the way to the real goal........big picture man, big picture !

ah I know. Good race out of you today Lex, well done.

16th - 22nd August

Mon: 5m recovery
    Tues: 6x1km @ 5:59m/m on grass (~7m total)
    Wed: 5.3m easy
    Thurs: Cut short run, felt crap 3m
    Fri: rest
    Sat: Frank Duffy 10m race 64'39
    Sun: hungover = 0miles

30.3m Total for week.

Week 4 begins

Mon 23rd Aug

7.6m easy in the lashing rain. Really enjoyed that run.

Tues 24th Aug
    21m slow LSR around the Blessington lakes
    I've cycled that route a few times and forgot it was hilly. First 12m was really enjoyable listening to marathon talk and enjoying the scenery. The rest was a bit of a slog in the rain. I don't know if that was the hills or the race on Saturday but it was tough going. Delighted to have that in the bag.
    2hrs 54mins :eek:

Wed 24th Aug
    4.1m run at recovery on grass. Right, tired as hell, that was crap.

Week 4 begins

Mon 23rd Aug
    7.6m easy in the lashing rain. Really enjoyed that run.

Tues 24th Aug
    21m slow LSR around the Blessington lakes
    I've cycled that route a few times and forgot it was hilly. First 12m was really enjoyable listening to marathon talk and enjoying the scenery. The rest was a bit of a slog in the rain. I don't know if that was the hills or the race on Saturday but it was tough going. Delighted to have that in the bag.
    2hrs 54mins :eek:

Wed 24th Aug
    4.1m run at recovery on grass. Right, tired as hell, that was crap.
    Misty well done on getting a nearly three hour hilly run in two days post race - not to be sniffed at all ! (might see you tomorrow at club for the planned fartlek extravaganza)
    LL

Thurs 25th Aug
    1.5hrs Fartlek in Phoenix.
    Covered 12.2 miles with an overall average of 7:18min/mile. 10min warm up and 8min cool down included so considering that, happy with the overall pace.
    10mins easy at end and start. 400m, 2mins, 1min, small hill bursts, we mixed it up. It was tough but good craic actually and flew by.

Fri 27th Aug
    Went out for an easy 5m.........0.2m screw that. Rest day needed.

Sat 28th Aug
    10m easy in Phoenix. I was still very tired for this one and the right hamy and bum cheek were tight.

Sun 29th Aug
    Didn't listen to my body and went out for a 20m. Going fine until 10m and then ran out of steam. Same problems with tightness. Got to 15m and hit a wall of sorts. The last 4miles to get home were a run walk strategy. Just totally empty, it wasn't nice. Managed running for 17.6m.

So too much this week was never a good idea after last weekends 10m race. Time to put the feet up.

23rd - 29th August

Mon: 7.6m recovery
    Tues: 21m LSR (very hilly)
    Wed: 4.1m easy
    Thurs: Fartlek 12.2m in Phoenix. Overall pace:7:18m/m. Hard session.
    Sat: 10m easy
    Sun: 17.6m LSR

72.7m Total for week. Thats the most I've ever done in a week, happy with that but overall not a good week because I've overdone it. Live and learn.

23rd - 29th August

Mon: 7.6m recovery
    Tues: 21m LSR (very hilly)
    Wed: 4.1m easy
    Thurs: Fartlek 12.2m in Phoenix. Overall pace:7:18m/m. Hard session.
    Sat: 10m easy
    Sun: 17.6m LSR

72.7m Total for week. Thats the most I've ever done in a week, happy with that but overall not a good week because I've overdone it. Live and learn.

thats good going after last week, you really only had 1 recovery(low mileage) day and 1 rest day, the 10miler on sat might have better stood to you on sunday if it were a 5/6miler....and normally doing 2 LSRs in one week is a bad idea(but i cant say anything, cos i did the same this week!) so all in all, good mileage, good fartlek session, 1 good quality LSR and 1 med(?) quality LSR, which is still time on your feet....so will stand to you!!

• Advertisement

Fri 27th Aug
    Went out for an easy 5m.........0.2m screw that. Rest day needed.

Sat 28th Aug
    10m easy in Phoenix. I was still very tired for this one and the right hamy and bum cheek were tight.

Sun 29th Aug
    Didn't listen to my body and went out for a 20m. Going fine until 10m and then ran out of steam. Same problems with tightness. Got to 15m and hit a wall of sorts. The last 4miles to get home were a run walk strategy. Just totally empty, it wasn't nice. Managed running for 17.6m.

So too much this week was never a good idea after last weekends 10m race. Time to put the feet up.
    Misty time to listen to your body and take it back a notch for a couple of days..........

Advertisement