Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks of DCM training (sub 3 attempt)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

seanynova wrote: »
    thats good going after last week, you really only had 1 recovery(low mileage) day and 1 rest day, the 10miler on sat might have better stood to you on sunday if it were a 5/6miler....and normally doing 2 LSRs in one week is a bad idea(but i cant say anything, cos i did the same this week!) so all in all, good mileage, good fartlek session, 1 good quality LSR and 1 med(?) quality LSR, which is still time on your feet....so will stand to you!!

ha seems you had a cracking week Seany. No crumbling from you, fair play to ya that was a great week you did. Cheers.
    Lex Luther wrote: »
    Misty time to listen to your body and take it back a notch for a couple of days..........

Yeah thanks Lex, thats exactly what I'll be doing. Day off tomorrow and easy for the rest of the week. I'll be happy to just hit a good LSR next weekend. Hope your long run went well today with Charlie, he mentioned yesterday you were doing one.......at 8.30 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

ha seems you had a cracking week Seany. No crumbling from you, fair play to ya that was a great week you did. Cheers.

Yeah thanks Lex, thats exactly what I'll be doing. Day off tomorrow and easy for the rest of the week. I'll be happy to just hit a good LSR next weekend. Hope your long run went well today with Charlie, he mentioned yesterday you were doing one.......at 8.30 :eek:
    yeah ran for 2.53 ( longest time I've ever run in training ! ) quite slow, about 21 miles, but that was the plan so happy enough to be honest.
    Misty you had a super week mileage wise, trick is to get the balance right and get to start line in one piece - might see you during the week.
    Cheers, LL

Mon 30th Aug
    Rest. 9 funsize bars, loads of chips and a burger.

Tues 31st Aug
    10.7m easy Fartlek. No watch for this, overall pace was slow probably @ 8m/m. Exactly what the doctor ordered. Enjoyed that.

Wed 1st Sep
    9.2m with two friends, very slow but enjoyable. Cracking day.

Wed 1st Sep
    9.2m with two friends, very slow but enjoyable. Cracking day.

Good stuff , Misty, trick now would be to keep yourdiscipline for another day or two andthen head into the week-end refreshed for a quality session and long run......but what do I know !
    LL

• Advertisement

Lex Luther wrote: »
    ......but what do I know !
    LL

...................more than me. Yeah listening to the body this week. Plan is to enjoy it.

Might catch you in the club tonight.

Thurs 2nd Sep
    10.3m @ 7:30m/m on grass. A few 7min/miles thrown in.

Fri 3rd Sep
    Rest day.

Sat 4th Sep
    20.6m LSR with 7m near PMP at the end. Couldn't sleep this morning so I got out the door for 8:30. Got lashed on for 2hrs and it stopped as soon as I got home. I didn't hit the right numbers but not far off. Goal was to not eyeball the PMP miles and to run them at what I 'felt' was PMP. When I got to 20, I took the foot of the gas...it felt easier when I was running faster. My right leg isn't right. Hammer, calf, glute all tight. Will book in for a massage on Monday.

500mls water, 2x gels. Breakfast: Porridge and pint water.

Happy. The completion of the distance wasn't an issue at all and the PMP wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Fri 3rd Sep
    Rest day.

Sat 4th Sep
    20.6m LSR with 7m near PMP at the end. Couldn't sleep this morning so I got out the door for 8:30. Got lashed on for 2hrs and it stopped as soon as I got home. I didn't hit the right numbers but not far off. Goal was to not eyeball the PMP miles and to run them at what I 'felt' was PMP. When I got to 20, I took the foot of the gas...it felt easier when I was running faster. My right leg isn't right. Hammer, calf, glute all tight. Will book in for a massage on Monday.

500mls water, 2x gels. Breakfast: Porridge and pint water.

Happy. The completion of the distance wasn't an issue at all and the PMP wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.

good 20miler with PMP misty, the few days east running served you well....your back on track!

Fri 3rd Sep
    Rest day.

Sat 4th Sep
    20.6m LSR with 7m near PMP at the end. Couldn't sleep this morning so I got out the door for 8:30. Got lashed on for 2hrs and it stopped as soon as I got home.

Fair play for running through that deluge this morning Misty, a lesser man would have been tempted to defer for a day. Good run and sounds like you're back on track.
    LL

• Advertisement

30th Aug - 5th Sep

Mon: Rest
    Tues: 10.7m easy Fartlek (7:40 overall pace)
    Wed: 9.2 easy
    Thurs: 10.3 @ 7:30 on grass
    Fri: rest
    Sat: 20.6 with last 7 @ PMP (nearly hit numbers)
    Sun: Lazy day

50.3m Total for week. One too many rest days....no harm.

Plan this week is to do 2m intervals on the road, a long one on Friday with PMP and try to take it easy at a stag in Galway at the weekend. The last target will be the hardest thats why I've taken Monday off next week to run long again. Or if anyone has any other suggestions on what to do that day fire away.

Mon 6th Sep
    6.5m easy

Tues 7th Sep
    4x2m intervals with 2mins recovery
    I set the watch up properly for this but I couldn't see what my pace was so I just ran these at what I thought felt like was HMP....that I'd like it to be (~6:20).

2milers: 6:23/6:21/6:29/6:27.......slower and harder than I thought. I had to work hard to hold that for the last two. Thats ok, still getting better. Had some stomach problems during the cool down. A long fart sorted that out :D

Total ~13m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Mon 6th Sep
    6.5m easy

Tues 7th Sep
    I set the watch up properly for this but I couldn't see what my pace was so I just ran these at what I thought felt like was HMP....that I'd like it to be (~6:20).

2milers: 6:23/6:21/6:29/6:27.......slower and harder than I thought. I had to work hard to hold that for the last two. Thats ok, still getting better. Had some stomach problems during the cool down. A long fart sorted that out :D

Total ~13m.

Very nice session, 4*2mile is where I'd like to get to, did 3*2mile on sat, don't worry that u were just off pace, you'll nail it next time, knowing that ya did 4*2mile the last time, good stuff!

tisnotover wrote: »
    Very nice session, 4*2mile is where I'd like to get to, did 3*2mile on sat, don't worry that u were just off pace, you'll nail it next time, knowing that ya did 4*2mile the last time, good stuff!

Thanks Tno, I actually hit ~6:23m/m for 4x12minute intervals a few weeks back on the grass so I thought today would be faster. I'm not disappointed though. Yeah I saw that session in your log. Fast times! Good stuff.

Mon 6th Sep
    6.5m easy

Tues 7th Sep

Total ~13m.

thats a good session misty, the paces are within where you want to be, and you stuck to the 2min recovery with a bit of pace also...today i was walking and everything between reps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Mon 6th Sep
    6.5m easy

Tues 7th Sep

Total ~13m.

nice one misty. pretty even splits running by feel. 6'25 average aint slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Mon 6th Sep
    6.5m easy

Tues 7th Sep

Total ~13m.

Havn't checked in for a while Misty, seems like your right on track for the sub 3. Another good session under the belt.

Btw, if your feeling adventerous in Galway this weekend, you could always join us for 20mls at 8am on Sunday morning, you should be back from the stag by then surely :D

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Havn't checked in for a while Misty, seems like your right on track for the sub 3. Another good session under the belt.

Btw, if your feeling adventerous in Galway this weekend, you could always join us for 20mls at 8am on Sunday morning, you should be back from the stag by then surely :D

Ha ha you know what, this is sad, but I'd actually love to hit a 20 miler on Sunday as I'm getting into the swing of things with training. No chance in that happening though, but thanks. 16 lads from Tallaght....its gonna be messy. Funny you should post here, I was just laughing (sorry) at your post about locking the keys in the car. If that had of happened this weekend, one of us could have opened it in seconds*. Nice tempo btw.

*only messing, they are decent lads

Wed 8th Sep
    5m recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Ha ha you know what, this is sad, but I'd actually love to hit a 20 miler on Sunday as I'm getting into the swing of things with training. No chance in that happening though, but thanks. 16 lads from Tallaght....its gonna be messy. Funny you should post here, I was just laughing (sorry) at your post about locking the keys in the car. If that had of happened this weekend, one of us could have opened it in seconds*. Nice tempo btw.

*only messing, they are decent lads

funny you should say that bout the keys. The car was at a mates house who's from the southside of Dublin. I said to him that if he was a northsider it wouldn't have been an issue :D

• Advertisement

Thurs 9th Sep
    5 junk miles. Felt very hungry as I had to stay late in work again and messed up eating plans.

Fri 10th Sep
    20m @ 8:08m/m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Fri 10th Sep

Good man misty you are back flying. how was that run? I like your two big runs approach im going to be using it myself from now on as my body just doesnt allow track intervals and the like

Thurs 9th Sep
    5 junk miles. Felt very hungry as I had to stay late in work again and messed up eating plans.

Fri 10th Sep

is that your 3rd 20miler already of this 12week training plan? your flying! and with another solid 6 weeks till the marathon you will surely do another 2 or 3 LRS....how bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I had to search through 5 pages before I found your log. C'mon man, half marathon saturday, lets get this thing going again.

I was away boozing for the weekend and haven't checked the log until now.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good man misty you are back flying. how was that run? I like your two big runs approach im going to be using it myself from now on as my body just doesnt allow track intervals and the like

Cheers Kenny. That run was crap, I didn't comment on it because I'm tired of moaning. Good to get it done I suppose but felt crap...and it shouldn't have. Yeah the two big workouts a week seem to be the way for me anyway. Add one more and I struggle. I tried it but it didn't work out.
    seanynova wrote: »
    is that your 3rd 20miler already of this 12week training plan? your flying! and with another solid 6 weeks till the marathon you will surely do another 2 or 3 LRS....how bad!

Don't know about flying....moaning again. I think thats my 3rd one yeah.
    tunguska wrote: »
    I had to search through 5 pages before I found your log. C'mon man, half marathon saturday, lets get this thing going again.

:D I know. Here is where I'm at...if anyone cares.
    I'm not sure about DCM. For lots of reasons. How I feel (fitness/niggles), not enjoying things, very busy in work and a few other things. Especially the thoughts of running a 3:04 marathon and having to recover for a month or so afterwards. Going from fat Andy to 4 marathons in two years is catching up I think. Just being honest.

So my plan.
    I'm going to race the half all out and I should be properly tapered for that. A weekend of drinking counts as taper ;) From there, I'll make my decision about DCM. I've covered the training so far so nothing lost. The fact that I'm ok with parking DCM is a sign.

Cross country would be great this winter. So will DCM. Will see.

How are you going Tunguska?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

How are you going Tunguska?

Have had 2 dodgy races in a row so confidence is a little dented. But by God Im gonna run the bollox out of myself on saturday, no more flutin' around.

Im not liking the overall tone of your post there dude, its very much one of resignation. Have been there myself, just takes one good race to snap you out of it. Looks like saturday is make or break for us both.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like taking a step away and re-focussing might be the right thing to do after the half, if you're not feeling the love. You're in good shape, you just need to get the head in the right place. Maybe drop the training program and run 'free' for a while like Gerard65?

tunguska wrote: »
    Have had 2 dodgy races in a row so confidence is a little dented. But by God Im gonna run the bollox out of myself on saturday, no more flutin' around.

Im not liking the overall tone of your post there dude, its very much one of resignation. Have been there myself, just takes one good race to snap you out of it. Looks like saturday is make or break for us both.

I hope you are nicely rested for Saturday. You don't take it easy before races. I've no doubt you've taken positives from the two of those races though. Thats the key.

I know, before I clicked submit reply I read over my post and realised that. Didn't mean it to sound so negative. I'm actually happy enough with things but I think thats because a big part of me has let go of DCM. If I run a great race on Sat, it might make me hungry. I only started training for DCM because a few of the lads in the club are doing it and I needed a challenge. That and base buiding was all I could manage anyway. Trust me man, I wouldn't give up if it wasn't right and sensible.
    Sounds like taking a step away and re-focussing might be the right thing to do after the half, if you're not feeling the love. You're in good shape, you just need to get the head in the right place. Maybe drop the training program and run 'free' for a while like Gerard65?

Cheers Krusty, it feels like a good thing to do. I'd love to just sign up for 10, 5km's on road, cross country, even to just run/rest whenever I felt like it.

6th Sep - 12th Sep

Mon: 6.5m easy
    Tues: 4x2m intervals (6:23/6:21/6:29/6:27) 13m total
    Wed: 5m recovery
    Thurs: 5m slow (calorie issues, horrible run)
    Fri: 20m @ 8:08 (parked PMP miles, felt ****)
    Sat: Rest day (Hungover)
    Sun: Rest day (Hungover)

49.5m Total for week.

• Advertisement

Mon 13th Sep
    5 miles easy

Tues 14th Sep
    8m fartlek with club. Average of about 7:16m/m ? Enjoyed that.

Wed 15th Sep
    Rest day

Advertisement