Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks of DCM training (sub 3 attempt)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I was away boozing for the weekend and haven't checked the log until now.

Cheers Kenny. That run was crap, I didn't comment on it because I'm tired of moaning. Good to get it done I suppose but felt crap...and it shouldn't have.

Don't know about flying....moaning again. I think thats my 3rd one yeah.

Ah nothing wrong with a good moan - my poor GF gets it in the ear non stop.

Sound to me like 1 of two things dude

1. Either your expecting too much and comparing evry run to how you thought you felt before rotterdam, but its amazing what a few months does in your mind - you remember feeling great in them runs but you didnt really at the time. I found myself doing this last night, i was thinking about myself striding beautifully after xmas going great and feeling in total control - but i bet i wasnt and i bet there was only 1 or 2 runs in any 6-8 weeks when i really was in control.

Anyway sat will tell you were you re at in this regard.

2. Or it could be that the pressure of sub 3 is getting to you - you allude to this in your post re running 3.04 - still a great time but its obvious you want to go sub 3 or you ll see the whole thing as a failure - not so imo. failure would be giving up running and going back to fat andy as you put it.

So you can either just try it and if you get it great but if you dont hopefully you wont have the same injury stuff after and it will be a fantastic base to get even faster. You wont know where you re at unless you try.

Or you can let it go and change focus to getting the hamstring right and getting the speed to mae you faster for a sub 3.

You ve come a long long way dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Jasus thanks Kenny, thats a very good post.

You are bang on on both accounts. Nail on the head except its both of those things not just one. Psychologist and Accountant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Jasus thanks Kenny, thats a very good post.

You are bang on on both accounts. Nail on the head except its both of those things not just one. Psychologist and Accountant?
    Nah just been there, know how you feel, but if only there was a way to get paid for both.

Best of luck on Saturday anyway, just do what you can and you ll know alot more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Especially the thoughts of running a 3:04 marathon and having to recover for a month or so afterwards.

point of information: ive just run a 3:05 marathon. It only takes about two weeks to recover :D, probably a lot less if you dont get properly sh*tfaced straight afterwards like I did!

we all get like this misty. ive been out on long runs (usually windy ones funny enough) asking myself why I bother. Truth is, racing is usually worth it. Hope you feel a bit better soon - one good race and it will all be forgotten.

If not - no bother, you'll crack that nut another day. good luck!

Cheers tbb. Don't get me wrong, I'm grand, things are good and I'm way fitter than I was 7 weeks ago. All options still open.

I'll stop being negative or people might be expecting to hear of a dead guy with 'sub' and '3' carved into his wrists. kidding :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Cheers tbb. Don't get me wrong, I'm grand, things are good and I'm way fitter than I was 7 weeks ago. All options still open.

I'll stop being negative or people might be expecting to hear of a dead guy with 'sub' and '3' carved into his wrists. kidding :D

Hey Andy, you need to give yourself a break ( I may have said that before !) You dont have to decide anything about anything right now. Just enjoy the race on Saturday and see how it goes ....every training programme has up and downs , that s just part of the process.
    Hopefully see you there,
    LL

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Hey Andy, you need to give yourself a break ( I may have said that before !) You dont have to decide anything about anything right now. Just enjoy the race on Saturday and see how it goes ....every training programme has up and downs , that s just part of the process.
    Hopefully see you there,
    LL

did you say that to me before?;) Seriously I know that. I'm giving myself a break, honestly, thanks.

See ya Saturday, I'll be leaving from the club myself.
    I'm gonna take ya on the last mile ;)

I'm gonna take ya on the last mile ;)

if not before Misty, if not before.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

ah you will be grand misty, with over 5 weeks to go there is still a lot of quality sessions you can get in.....tempo pace will be well and truely fermented at 'sub" where it needs to be and with more 20milers under the belt, you will have the endurance to boost....id give it a lash anyway lad....as i say there is lots of time to iron things out....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

seanynova wrote: »
    ah you will be grand misty, with over 5 weeks to go there is still a lot of quality sessions you can get in.....tempo pace will be well and truely fermented at 'sub" where it needs to be and with more 20milers under the belt, you will have the endurance to boost....id give it a lash anyway lad....as i say there is lots of time to iron things out....

Im with seany on this man. 5 weeks you can do some great work. I'd ditch the fartlek to be honest, with 5 weeks to go its all about Threshold and marathon paced running. To find your T-pace look up daniels vdot table page 48/49 table 3.1. Looking at it you'd have a vdot of 53. And if you go forward a couple of pages to table 3.2, you'll get a T-pace of 6:32 and marathon pace of 6:56. If you go to his marathon training plans, program A, phase IV(weeks 19 -26) he details some T-paced and M-paced sessions. Worth taking a look at.
    If youre interested Ive hooked up with a group doing T-pace and M-pace sessions every sunday morning. Its a big group with lads and girls at different levels but all doing the same basic session. Theres definitely a few lads at your level or even slightly above.
    Its all still to play for man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

tunguska wrote: »
    I'd ditch the fartlek to be honest, with 5 weeks to go its all about Threshold and marathon paced running.

Personally I would'nt ditch the fartlek, done properly they are excellent. I have been doing them the last few weeks and I'm finding my pace has improved alot, your effectively running at your threshold pace or sometimes faster during the burst, last night done a 16mile fartlek, 10 off those miles were done in 59minutes and it did'nt feel that hard at all. Its good too mix things up but I would'nt ditch them. In relation to your sub 3 conquest, thats in the bag ;)

Right fcuk sake, I'll do the marathon. I've been a little girl with all the moaning over the last few weeks. No more of that, I don't give a sh1t at this stage how it goes all I know is whatever shape I'm in, I'll stick to the sub 3 pacer and see how it goes.

As for Fartlek and/or Threshold Vdot....... I'll mix it up. I do like those fartlek sessions but the 2m interval ones are also really good, might stick in a long tempo too.

Over the next few weeks:
    - Tuesday night either Fartlek (1.5hrs) or 4x2m intervals.
    - Weekends, 20 - 22m with MP miles (wanna get up to 10PMP).

Thanks for the encouraging advice lads. Sorry for the moaning but I'm sure Mrs Floyd is sick of hearing it. FFS she's doing the half tomorrow on the back of feck all training and a stomach bug. What am I like.

Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Right fcuk sake, I'll do the marathon.I'll stick to the sub 3 pacer and see how it goes.

Really looking forward to tomorrow.

.........and there it is, he's back !!!
    Good stuff Misty , see you tomorrow.
    LL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Right fcuk sake, I'll do the marathon.
    I think I prefer angry Misty!

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Personally I would'nt ditch the fartlek, done properly they are excellent. I have been doing them the last few weeks and I'm finding my pace has improved alot, your effectively running at your threshold pace or sometimes faster during the burst, last night done a 16mile fartlek, 10 off those miles were done in 59minutes and it did'nt feel that hard at all. Its good too mix things up but I would'nt ditch them. In relation to your sub 3 conquest, thats in the bag ;)

Im not saying fartlek sessions arent good and beneficial, they are, but not at this stage of the game so close to the marathon. Fartlek training would fit into phase III and right now misty is in Phase IV. Although having said that, It depends on the length of the intervals. I mean Daniels has the following session in phase IV:

2miles easy + 10 -15mins T-pace + 3mins easy + 10-15mins T-pace + 30 -45mins easy

So this could be viewed as a fartlek session, only the intervals are a bit longer than your regular fartlek session. I suppose thats the bottom line at this point: To make the intervals longer.

Anyway Andy its good to see that you've been harassed into running the marathon. Nothing like a bit of peer pressure. Tell Mrs. Floyd I said good
    luck by the way. Whats she aiming for?
    Sure hopefully I'll talk to you at the finish line.........and you'll look a little less unwell than after the 10miler. Man you had literally turned green that day........thought you were gonna keel over and croak it.

I think I prefer angry Misty!

Ha ha ha funny you should say that, my nickname in work is either Krusty or Oscar :D
    ....and you'll look a little less unwell than after the 10miler. Man you had literally turned green that day........thought you were gonna keel over and croak it.

I wasn't happy after that. You should see me when I'm late:

Tell Mrs. Floyd I said good
    luck by the way. Whats she aiming for?
    Sure hopefully I'll talk to you at the finish line.........

Yeah cheers I'll tell her you said good luck. She's looking to finish thats all. 9.30m/m I'd say. She's been sick the last few days and hasn't eaten much. Better today though. She hasn't moaned once! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah cheers I'll tell her you said good luck. She's looking to finish thats all. 9.30m/m I'd say. She's been sick the last few days and hasn't eaten much. Better today though. She hasn't moaned once! :eek:

To butcher a line from Ed Byrne...

My girlfriend was sick recently, had a really bad dose. And all through it I was thinking, if I could take that sickness on for her, if I could suffer in her place, be sick so she could be well, I would, I would in a heartbeat.
    Because at least then I wouldn't have to hear her ****ing moaning

Plan was simple for this, run first 3 miles easy and do my best to get under 1:25. I really needed to run a sensible race.

Stress to get there on time this morning as I forgot the garmin and had to turn around. I parked on an awkward verge on acres rd and when my gf got out of the car the door smacked her in the knee. Sorry. She had a bigger day today, running her first half, she didn't need that.

I met a club mate, Tom, at the start, he told me that pace for the sub 1:25 is around 6:25m/m. I'd keep that in mind but wouldn't be a slave to it.

Start: Nothing better than being surrounded by hundreds running down chesterfield avenue. Mile 1-4 were 6:25/6:28/6:20/6:28, didn't care about time, I felt comfortable. Going well.

Back on the avenue and it was time to open up a little as it was gonna be a slight downhill for the next 3m: 6:19/6:15/6:14

Running up the kyber was.........nice, I kind of like that climb for some reason. Got to the top and the watch beeped at 6:31. Not bad for a long drag. There was a good breeze on the acres road...didn't need that but I spotted Tom about 50metres ahead and made him a target. I was gaining on him and got nice and close by the turn onto the military road. Miles 9/10 were 6:23 and 6:13. That done the trick and I overtook. We ran together for a bit and coming up to the hill at chapelizod he said to me "you are up on time so don't worry about loosing too much on this climb". He's a good guy, he would have been hurting and he knew I worked hard to catch him but took the time to say that. Shortly after that, he was gone and I was beginning to suffer bad. Mile 11, I'm surprised to see now was 6:26.

The rest was damage limitation really. Going down the hill to the pond at the furry glen and straight back up again was like a kick in the teeth. I got a perfectly timed shout from 4 girls :D(gf's mates) "C'mon Andy". A nice surprise, I needed that. Mile 12 was 6:49:o and finished the last mile working seriously hard. 6:29 and 6:02 average pace for the last 1.2m (on my watch).

Felt like I'd throw up afterwards but that passed after a few mins and as always good to chat to Tunguska who ran a serious time....again (1:17). Tom finished around 50m ahead of me and Lex Luther had a great time of 1:23:51. Met RacoonQueen and Ecoli (good to meet ya) both doing pacing duties today, well done.

Couldn't make Ryans, my gf and her mate wanted to get home. Delighted with my gf finishing in 2hrs 11min. She reckoned she could have done a lot better but it was all about finishing. Her knee was killing her during the race. Oops :D:o

I almost forgot to post my watch time: 1:24:38. Very happy but especially happy with how I felt for most of it. Delighted actually, its a PB from last years Dublin half time of 1:29:01.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

wow nice improvement - congrats.

Gives me hope. ran 1:29:03 last year for the half and id love to knock out a 1:25 wheni decide to jump into a plan for it for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running misty. Hopefully that's the kick you need to push on for a cracking PB in Dublin. Oh, and stop trying to sabotage the gf's races!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

great going Misty, good sensible running. Like the others said, a few LSR's under your belt and you'll be laughing

Felt like I'd throw up afterwards but that passed after a few mins and as always good to chat to Tunguska who ran a serious time....again (1:17). Tom finished around 50m ahead of me and Lex Luther had a great time of 1:24 low, I think.

Excuse ME, 1.23.51 , BIG difference:p......good run Misty, I think you are well back on track. Enjoy the next five weeks and give it socks on the day. ( By the way you did look a bit sick at the end....clearly you dont hold much back at the end.....except luckily your breakfast !)

Good stuff dude. I echo what the lads are saying, the sub 3 is on. Still work to be done but its defintely on.
    Great stuff from Lex Luther aswell. Oh and another good run from Mrs Floyd. She looked really comfortable aswell. A marathon next year perhaps?

Cheers lads!
    ULstudent wrote: »
    wow nice improvement - congrats.

Gives me hope. ran 1:29:03 last year for the half and id love to knock out a 1:25 wheni decide to jump into a plan for it for next year.

No bother to ya UL. I remember the pics from last years race so I'll be watching out.
    Lex Luther wrote: »
    Excuse ME, 1.23.51 , BIG difference:p......good run Misty, I think you are well back on track. Enjoy the next five weeks and give it socks on the day. ( By the way you did look a bit sick at the end....clearly you dont hold much back at the end.....except luckily your breakfast !)

ah crap, I came back here to edit the log, I knew you'd be around, I just saw the results. great time Lex, are you happy? You are well on plan anyway. No I don't hold back, give it everything. It passed, think I was dehydrated a bit.
    Oh and another good run from Mrs Floyd. She looked really comfortable aswell. A marathon next year perhaps?

Thanks man, yeah I hope so. It would be great. Although, I'll have to come up with something better to sabotage her race. Stomach bug during the week and wrecking her knee didn't work.

Thanks Speedy/Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Good stuff dude. I echo what the lads are saying, the sub 3 is on. Still work to be done but its defintely on.

+1, early days still so you can get in the right work over the next 5 weeks, even in taper mode you can get in some very solid tempo sessions, ill be doing a tempo run 5days out from the marathon(4x1200m T)....so between your tempo mix and the LSRs you will be good to go....

anyway, very good run today, well paced effort.....enjoy it lad and take it easy for a couple of days....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Solid running and a solid time, well done! 1 month til the big day, id say you got some confidence with todays time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done on achievingcomfortably below the target time , huge improvement on last yrs time

seanynova wrote: »
    anyway, very good run today, well paced effort.....enjoy it lad and take it easy for a couple of days....

Thanks Sean, good bit of work to do alright. Head down, give it a lash. Glad to see you are doing Dublin.
    smmoore79 wrote: »
    Solid running and a solid time, well done! 1 month til the big day, id say you got some confidence with todays time..
    Thanks smmoore, ah yeah good to get home without thinking "why do I do this?" during it, good for confidence alright.
    Seres wrote: »
    well done on achievingcomfortably below the target time , huge improvement on last yrs time
    Thanks Seres, think I read in the half thread you are injured. Sorry to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done Misty,

You're nicely set-up for a sub 3. I did 1:25:00 last year but I was fading at the end - 6:36/mile for the bit after 13 miles - and you've got an extra week to recover.

One good long run and a nice taper with a bit of intensity, and there'll be no stopping you on the big day.

Advertisement