Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks of DCM training (sub 3 attempt)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

cheers Speedy. I'm not sure about the next few weeks to be honest, I was just asking seany to see what he's at. I'm def doing a 'Tergat' type session on Thurs with 4x3m and I might do maybe 18m on Monday week with PMP. If not 18 then mabye 16 with 6PMP or something.

was just thinking 18m would be the best all round LSR to do, but in my case im semi-altering....but weekly mileage is constant....

those tergat type sessions are good alright, i might do 4 PMP miles as part of a 10miler on tuesday and will do a 2x20min(maybe more) 13m easy/tempo session on thursday after my 10% maths exam....blow off some steam....lol. could easily see myself dropping back to 18m on sunday also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Good luck in the maths exam Seany. You a science geek person? :D

Week 10 begins
    Mon 4th Oct
    5m recovery on grass. I take back what I said about the lack of foot problems with those race shoes. My right foot hurts (like a bruise) on landing and pushing off. Damn it, something to monitor but not that worried right now.

I've attached my training. It includes what I have done and what I plan to do. I think I'm happy with most of it. I can't see myself nailing everything as I'll go by feel too. Head melt time trying to figure out whats best to do. I did like that final two weeks last time out. Felt right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Good luck in the maths exam Seany. You a science geek person? :D

Week 10 begins
    Mon 4th Oct
    5m recovery on grass. I take back what I said about the lack of foot problems with those race shoes. My right foot hurts (like a bruise) on landing and pushing off. Damn it, something to monitor but not that worried right now.

I've attached my training. It includes what I have done and what I plan to do. I think I'm happy with most of it. I can't see myself nailing everything as I'll go by feel too. Head melt time trying to figure out whats best to do. I did like that final two weeks last time out. Felt right.

more of an engineering geek but id say science is better lol...cheers for the excel sheet...ill have a look at it tomorrow in detail but at 1st glance, weekly mileage is similar to mine!

Tues 5th Oct
    Rest day.

Wed 6th Oct
    6.5m v easy.
    Wore my new Lunaracers. They are a little long but ok. Some pins and needles in my feet but had the laces too tight I think. First impressions are very good. They are so light that its surprising how bouncy they feel. Might wear them for the big session tomorrow. Foot feels fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Tues 5th Oct
    Rest day.

Wed 6th Oct
    6.5m v easy.
    Wore my new Lunaracers. They are a little long but ok. Some pins and needles in my feet but had the laces too tight I think. First impressions are very good. They are so light that its surprising how bouncy they feel. Might wear them for the big session tomorrow. Foot feels fine.

Are you gonna wear those bad boys for the marathon? Im having similiar crazy ideas with my hyperspeeds...........

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Are you gonna wear those bad boys for the marathon? Im having similiar crazy ideas with my hyperspeeds...........

Gonna see how they go tomorrow (~17m).

I was laughing at a post you left a while back about bringing a scales to elvery's. Great stuff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Misty if a clown like me is thinking of sub 3, you will do it easy:D
    Taper time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭aero2k

tunguska wrote: »
    If you like doing long runs in the Hyperspeeds, go for it, if you have any doubt, don't risk it.
    Gonna see how they go tomorrow (~17m).

I was laughing at a post you left a while back about bringing a scales to elvery's. Great stuff :D
    Wait till I figure out how to make a table - I have a scales that I bought especially for weighing shoes keeping up with Nigella_Clown in the kitchen, and I've weighed every pair of shoes in the house - with interesting results...

No need to worry too much about the sessions between now and DCM, I reckon just keep a good bit of intensity and you'll be grand. You'll feel strange no matter what you do, but that'll all disappear when the starting gun goes off.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Misty if a clown like me is thinking of sub 3, you will do it easy:D
    Taper time.

Yeah I can easily think of doing sub 3 :D You are improving so fast mate, gonna be great to see ya concentrating on more quality over quantity or even quality with quantity, now that'll bring you some serious results.
    aero2k wrote: »
    No need to worry too much about the sessions between now and DCM, I reckon just keep a good bit of intensity and you'll be grand. You'll feel strange no matter what you do, but that'll all disappear when the starting gun goes off.

Cheers Aero. I keep reminding myself that you got a similar time in 09 Dublin half and still managed to make a sub3. I was telling Seany, I made the mistake of (and this is sad) checking last years half times for people and going to a similar time to mine. I then looked up a load of peoples full marathon time and not one of them made sub3, in fact loads went for it and bombed. Not saying I'm gonna bomb (don't think I will) and I know it doesn't tell the whole story but it wasn't a good excercise.

Thurs 7th Oct
    2m wu / 4 x 3m @ MP / 2-3min jog in between/ 2m wd (17m tot)
    Here are the 4x3 sets:

6:36/6:43/6:43
    6:42/6:38/6:45
    6:44/6:35/6:46
    6:34/6:41/6:39

A bit faster than PMP but I felt comfortable. Very happy with that session, I felt strong enough all the way, great.
    Wore the lunaracers again and I'm gonna wear them in the race. Really like them.

I Listened to this weeks marathon talk podcast which was great and the new Kings of Leon album. The jury is out for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers Aero. I keep reminding myself that you got a similar time in 09 Dublin half and still managed to make a sub3. I was telling Seany, I made the mistake of (and this is sad) checking last years half times for people and going to a similar time to mine. I then looked up a load of peoples full marathon time and not one of them made sub3, in fact loads went for it and bombed. Not saying I'm gonna bomb (don't think I will) and I know it doesn't tell the whole story but it wasn't a good excercise.
    Jaysus, you really do like to punish yourself, don't ya?!
    Great session today. Forget the other crap and focus on today's session. It has all the info you need.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, you really do like to punish yourself, don't ya?!
    Great session today. Forget the other crap and focus on today's session. It has all the info you need.

Yeah I know, I can be a bit hard on myself which is stupid.

Forgot to say. Taper time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Thurs 7th Oct
    2m wu / 4 x 3m @ MP / 2-3min jog in between/ 2m wd (17m tot)
    Here are the 4x3 sets:

Misty thats a really great session - well done. Just try not to go nutso over the couple of weeks and allow yourself a proper taper and rest.

At this stage whatever will be , will be - try not to put yourself under too much pressure ( or let anyone else do so) or second guess yourself. You have a plan, trust that and enjoy the race and after that its in the lap of the gods.
    LL

Nice times in those 4x3 pmp misty. Some of those must have been near tempo pace. Did my first tempo session tonight 5k in 19.28. The madness has begun:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

A bit faster than PMP but I felt comfortable. Very happy with that session, I felt strong enough all the way, great.

Strong session, well done. Keep reading those figures during the taper, very nice splits.

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Misty thats a really great session - well done. Just try not to go nutso over the couple of weeks and allow yourself a proper taper and rest.

At this stage whatever will be , will be - try not to put yourself under too much pressure ( or let anyone else do so) or second guess yourself. You have a plan, trust that and enjoy the race and after that its in the lap of the gods.
    LL

Thanks LL. Does a wedding tomorrow count as 'go nutso'? I'm gonna enjoy that. Whatever will be will be........I like that. You wouldn't think it but I'm doing my best to think like that. Hope you are going well this week. I was very tired for a couple of days after that LSR on Sunday. Was tempted during lunch on Monday to go out to the car for a nap.........I'm such an aul fella ;)
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Nice times in those 4x3 pmp misty. Some of those must have been near tempo pace. Did my first tempo session tonight 5k in 19.28. The madness has begun:D
    I saw that Oisin, good stuff, hopefully km's don't become your method of recording distance;). Kenny's log is great but he uses km's.....if you are reading kenny.....miles man! get with it :D

Thanks LL. Does a wedding tomorrow count as 'go nutso'? I'm gonna enjoy that. Whatever will be will be........I like that. You wouldn't think it but I'm doing my best to think like that. Hope you are going well this week. I was very tired for a couple of days after that LSR on Sunday. Was tempted during lunch on Monday to go out to the car for a nap.........I'm such an aul fella ;)

I saw that Oisin, good stuff, hopefully km's don't become your method of recording distance;). Kenny's log is great but he uses km's.....if you are reading kenny.....miles man! get with it :D

Only small runs of 5ish k in new money. I very rarely do ~5k. Gotta look for a flat 5k or 10k race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I made the mistake of (and this is sad) checking last years half times for people and going to a similar time to mine. I then looked up a load of peoples full marathon time and not one of them made sub3, in fact loads went for it and bombed. Not saying I'm gonna bomb (don't think I will) and I know it doesn't tell the whole story but it wasn't a good excercise.

LOL I did that too :D. We could form a support group for eegits. I bombed from a similar half time as yourself and ended up walking etc, eventually getting home in 3'05, however I charged straight into the wind (long straight roads etc) at pmp nearly all the first half. PMP did feel comfortable on the day early on - am convinced that on a better day (and a less thickskulled strategy) I would have been damn close.

Youre very fit (great session yesterday) and you know what it takes from rotterdam. Put the negative thoughts out of your mind buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Was tempted during lunch on Monday to go out to the car for a nap.........I'm such an aul fella ;)

My gf tells me this all the time, i go to bed at like half 10 most nights after a good run - i think she thinks im a little baby. I probably am! and yeah you are getting old!

I dont run as much as you animals, putting in 35 puny miles doesnt sound as good as i ran 56km. although my log is a bit of a mess in that regard, half in km's half in miles. sound like due to popular demand (you're just that important) i ll have to switch the garmin to miles.

Savage session by the way, dont torture yourself with how other people did. You ve trained differently and are an individual. You ve always fared better over longer distances than your short times would sugeest as you train long rather than for speed.

no, letting your hair down at a wedding is fine ( running 20 miles plus this week-end or doing a similar session middle of next week is more the kind of thing I was thinking of )
    Good week for me, Sunday took nothing out of me to be honest and I've run every day this week and feel great - however remember you DID sneak in an extra mile and a half on me on sunday and after 21.5 miles ( or so) thats bound to make a difference !
    LL

LOL I did that too :D. We could form a support group for eegits. I bombed from a similar half time as yourself and ended up walking etc, eventually getting home in 3'05, however I charged straight into the wind (long straight roads etc) at pmp nearly all the first half. PMP did feel comfortable on the day early on - am convinced that on a better day (and a less thickskulled strategy) I would have been damn close.

Youre very fit (great session yesterday) and you know what it takes from rotterdam. Put the negative thoughts out of your mind buddy.

ha ha I'm not the only one then.
    The aul goal time and strategy needs to be adjusted if its a really windy one. 3:05 is still a great time.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    I dont run as much as you animals, putting in 35 puny miles doesnt sound as good as i ran 56km. although my log is a bit of a mess in that regard, half in km's half in miles. sound like due to popular demand (you're just that important) i ll have to switch the garmin to miles.

Savage session by the way, dont torture yourself with how other people did. You ve trained differently and are an individual. You ve always fared better over longer distances than your short times would sugeest as you train long rather than for speed.

Thanks Kenny. And don't change it on our demands. Would be better though :D
    Lex Luther wrote: »
    Good week for me, Sunday took nothing out of me to be honest and I've run every day this week and feel great - however remember you DID sneak in an extra mile and a half on me on sunday and after 21.5 miles ( or so) thats bound to make a difference !
    LL
    Nice one Lex, good to hear you are going great. Ah the tiredness was a lot to do with not sleeping well too. My comments about sleeping in the car were a reference to our conversation about new born babies and lack of sleep. Not good when you have to explain a joke :D Good luck with the LSR this weekend.

Fri 8th Oct
    5m recovery on grass/trails. Great day for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Here (if I attached it correctly :rolleyes: ) is a link to one of the greatest finishes ever in a marathon. The quality isn't the best but its good enough to make me want to get up and run right now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzljrUrwKE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Wow, you really nailed that session the other day. You should take a lot of confidence from it. Hope the taper goes well, looking forward to yours and all the other Dublin reports already :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

NICE session there to kick off taper with a spring in your step. You are in great shape and I hope you get the just reward dude!

RE: naps, I'm seriously thinking about those 20 min kips at lunch in the car. Now, how to explain arriving into work again with bed head and a wrinkled shirt.. they will think I lead a more exciting life than I really do!

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Here (if I attached it correctly :rolleyes: ) is a link to one of the greatest finishes ever in a marathon. The quality isn't the best but its good enough to make me want to get up and run right now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzljrUrwKE

Thanks Speedy, animal stuff. I'd love to do the Boston marathon some time. I think I read on the Boston thread that you've done it a few times. Is it really that hilly? I mean, this years winning time was just under 2:06:eek: I'm over in Boston next May (just missing it) for best man duties. 2012 maybe.
    tisnotover wrote: »
    Wow, you really nailed that session the other day. You should take a lot of confidence from it. Hope the taper goes well, looking forward to yours and all the other Dublin reports already :-)

thanks very much tno and yes I'm taking lots of confidence from that run.
    NICE session there to kick off taper with a spring in your step. You are in great shape and I hope you get the just reward dude!

RE: naps, I'm seriously thinking about those 20 min kips at lunch in the car. Now, how to explain arriving into work again with bed head and a wrinkled shirt.. they will think I lead a more exciting life than I really do!

Cheers Mcos. You might need those naps when training for the IM. Homer's jury glasses would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

cheers Misty. I actually meant to post that on the generic Dublin Marathon thread, didn't mean to hijack yours !

Sat 9th Oct
    Worst hangover of my life. Despite drinking lots of water and eating loads, the aul red wine and beer killed me. Stupid but really enjoyed myself, a cracking wedding. Zero running but the night before I danced for about 2hrs :). Made a show of myself.

Sun 10th Oct
    Went out to do 15m but wasn't sure I'd be up for it. Cut it short to 6.2m easy with a few strides. Still a bit hungover :o

Mon 11th Oct

15m easy with last 2 PMP: 6:50/6:40. Grand.

Tues 12th Oct
    4.6m easy

Wed 13th Oct

Rest.....for todays race.

Thurs 14th Oct
    Race Report: Sports day in work (three legged race).
    There was a lot of pressure on myself and my work buddy this year. We won this last year after a very tight finish. Its one thing to win a race and be the champion(s) but its another to follow it up and retain the crown. We wanted to prove it wasn't a fluke.

We were late for the start but with a bit of a panic made it with seconds to spare.....fashionably late. The other competitors looked worried. The key to winning the three legged race is to get a good start, relax and get a good rhythm. To get a good start, you put your outside feet to the line and the tied feet behind you. This way when you start, its one big leap and your away before the rest. Thats what happened. It was a 40m dash and we tried to relax as much as possible. 20m in and our lead was closing. We tensed up a bit and lost a bit more of our lead. We were hungry and nobody was taking this one. We won by a foot. Amazing feeling. 3 in a row next year (if we still have a job), onwards and upwards.

Our team also won the wheelbarrow race. However, I need to work on my upper body.

This was followed up by a go on the 'bucking bronko' Rodeo. What a plank I am. I lasted about 8 seconds on the thing and I've injured my groin at the upper leg area. I'm such a tool. Will see how it is tomorrow, I did get a run done straight afterwards:

Proper session
    2m wu / 4 x 1m @ LT (whatever that is) / 2m wd
    Mile repeats~: 6:08 / 6:03 need to slow / 6:13 / 6:12 (9.5m total)
    That was harder than it should have been, even the 2m warm up felt crap. Groin was ok, I could feel it but not too sore during. Its sore now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Thurs 14th Oct
    Race Report: Sports day in work (three legged race).
    There was a lot of pressure on myself and my work buddy this year. We won this last year after a very tight finish. Its one thing to win a race and be the champion(s) but its another to follow it up and retain the crown. We wanted to prove it wasn't a fluke.

We were late for the start but with a bit of a panic made it with seconds to spare.....fashionably late. The other competitors looked worried. The key to winning the three legged race is to get a good start, relax and get a good rhythm. To get a good start, you put your outside feet to the line and the tied feet behind you. This way when you start, its one big leap and your away before the rest. Thats what happened. It was a 40m dash and we tried to relax as much as possible. 20m in and our lead was closing. We tensed up a bit and lost a bit more of our lead. We were hungry and nobody was taking this one. We won by a foot. Amazing feeling. 3 in a row next year (if we still have a job), onwards and upwards.

Congrats, your Rotterdam run pales in comparison to tonights heroics. :D

Lets hope that injury blows over, i imagine you'll feel rather stupid otherwise.

Congrats, your Rotterdam run pales in comparison to tonights heroics. :D

Lets hope that injury blows over, i imagine you'll feel rather stupid otherwise.

:D I already feel stupid. Feck it though. My attitude has gone full circle with things and at this stage there is no point in freaking out or worrying.

• Advertisement

Misty, really inspirational race report , thanks !:)

Advertisement