Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks of DCM training (sub 3 attempt)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Fri 15th Oct
    Had to take a rest day. My groin/upper leg area was killing me :rolleyes: No need to force it.

Sat 16th Oct
    6.2m easy

Sun 17th Oct
    13m with last 3m at PMP: 6:43/6:52/6:48

Going up a short but steep hill today I was just thinking of how easy it felt compared to a few weeks ago. I guy on a road bike came behind me (country road) and said to me how strong I looked and asked me not to overtake him as that would be embaressing. He was dragging a bike up it but I could have taken him easily :D. Had a great chat for a couple of mile.

Have a couple of injuries now....not taper madness I'm afraid. Physio and massage on Wednesday. Plan is still to stick to sub 3 pacer.

Week 10 4th - 10th Oct

Monday: 5m recovery
    Tuesday: 5m easy
    Wednesday: Rest day
    Thursday: 4x3m at ~ 6:40m/m (17m total)
    Friday: 5m Recovery on grass
    Saturday: zero hungover
    Sunday: 6.2m easy

38.2m for week

Week 11 11th Oct - 17th Oct
    Monday: 15m with last 2m PMP (6:50/6:40)
    Tuesday: 5m easy
    Wednesday: Rest day
    Thursday: 2m wu / 4 x 1m: 6:08 / 6:03 need to slow / 6:13 / 6:12 (9.5m total)
    Friday: Forced rest day
    Saturday: 6.2m easy
    Sunday: 13m with last 3PMP (6:43/6:52/6:48)

48.3m for week, which is more than last week but the LSR on Monday (that was pushed from Sunday) is the cause of that. Its grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Have a couple of injuries now....not taper madness I'm afraid. Physio and massage on Wednesday. Plan is still to stick to sub 3 pacer.

+1, am keeping the surgical tape on my foot now(seams to be helping) and have another phsyio appointment on thurs....like yourself, the plan is to stick to the pacers!

at this stage i couldnt care less if i make sub3 or not....but i dont want to drop like i did in edinburgh....

best of luck with the last week!

seanynova wrote: »
    +1, am keeping the surgical tape on my foot now(seams to be helping) and have another phsyio appointment on thurs....like yourself, the plan is to stick to the pacers!

at this stage i couldnt care less if i make sub3 or not....but i dont want to drop like i did in edinburgh....

best of luck with the last week!

Yeah good luck this week mate.
    IMO 6:50m/m pace for you is not going to have you dead on your feet....no way. I blew up in DCM last year and worried about that all the way through training last winter/spring. I even worried about during the race. It just didn't come because I trained properly....like you have. The last 4 weeks haven't been ideal for you but its what happens over the previous few months that count. Either way, you'll enjoy it....its gonna be great.

Yeah good luck this week mate.
    IMO 6:50m/m pace for you is not going to have you dead on your feet....no way. I blew up in DCM last year and worried about that all the way through training last winter/spring. I even worried about during the race. It just didn't come because I trained properly....like you have. The last 4 weeks haven't been ideal for you but its what happens over the previous few months that count. Either way, you'll enjoy it....its gonna be great.

i have trained pretty well overall, but if i was to run a marathon without injury i would have felt sub2:55 would have been on but it aint now.....i felt ok doing the 15m cork 2 cobh at 6:44m/m so i guess if i go with the pacers at 6:48-50m/m after a week of rest i should be good for the most part....keep the fingers crossed!!!

did you decide on the shoes you are going to wear? i might still wear the flats even though the most ive done on em was 13miles.....not much cushioning in em though!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

did you decide on the shoes you are going to wear? i might still wear the flats even though the most ive done on em was 13miles.....not much cushioning in em though!!! :rolleyes:

Gonna go with the Lunaracers. Only worn twice but nothing to loose.

nothing to loose.

i like it! ill prob tog out in the mana's also :D

Mon 18th Oct
    Around 5m easy in Phoenix park. Day off tomorrow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Mon 18th Oct
    Around 5m easy in Phoenix park. Day off tomorrow I think.

Good stuff Misty, stay lean and loose .....just a couple of days to go ......

Tues 19th Oct
    Rest day but not a good rest day. Spent half of it in bed (have been there since) sick with man flu. Don't need this but at least it ain't in the chest.

Wed 20 Oct
    Forced rest day. Sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Tues 19th Oct
    Rest day but not a good rest day. Spent half of it in bed (have been there since) sick with man flu. Don't need this but at least it ain't in the chest.

Wed 20 Oct
    Forced rest day. Sick.
    Hope you ll be okay dude, you got it well early so should be fine by friday and then an easy short run sat and sun to clear the mucus and you ll be grand. could be a blessing in disguise - you ll be super fresh anway

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hope you ll be okay dude, you got it well early so should be fine by friday and then an easy short run sat and sun to clear the mucus and you ll be grand. could be a blessing in disguise - you ll be super fresh anway

Thanks Kenny. Thats what I'm hoping anyway. I'm not stressing so thats a good sign. No point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Tues 19th Oct

Wed 20 Oct
    Forced rest day. Sick.

Jaysus dude, me last year and you this year. Feckin' tapers, good for nothing I tell ye. If you were training away as per usual you'd be fine. A mate of mine whos running the marathon on monday aswell, went out for an easy 5-miler last night but after 1mile he was doubled over getting sick all over the place. Legs turned to rubber, he couldnt even walk. Had to hitch a lift home off some kind citizen. Vomiting all last night aswell. Its just poxy luck, he was going for 2:35(definitely wouldve got it too). But you've both got 4 days which is a lot of time so hopefully you'll be good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sorry to hear about the illness. Seems like alot of people are suffering at the moment. The change in weather just seems to have come at the wrong time. Still the fact that its not in your chest and fact that you have a few days you can prob bounce back without any major drawbacks hopefully

Best of luck on the quick recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

sorry to hear you've come down with something, of all the weeks like, still there's time yet for it to clear before race-day, its taper and your meant to be no running anyway, fingers crossed for ya that it clears up!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nooooooo.....you of all people can't be sick. Load up on the vitamin c, hot drinks etc etc etc Hope ya like lemsip. :)

Look after yourself, you'll be fine by Monday, lucky it's taper time.

hope the illness cleards up quick....bad timing but it could be a lot worse! sure you might only miss a few miles cos of it, so not the end of the world!

Thanks very much for the comments. RQ, I hate lemsip. I have this stuff called Niquil that I got from the states. You take a wee shot of it and within 10 minutes its hard to stay awake. Great stuff. Thanks again ;)

Don't think I'll be sticking to the sub3 pacer as planned. I need to run this thing at my own pace now.

Now don't start thinking this is me giving up and not being mentally strong but I'm thinking of getting to half way at 3:05 pace (7:03m/m). The first half is tougher (hills wise) and there is a good few miles from half way to pick up time...if I can. Thing is 3:05 might be even too hard so I gotta see how I feel.

I'd love 3:05 and have made that my target now. Now if 3:05 pace feels too easy and at mile 5, thats obvious, I'll adjust. If its too hard, I'll adjust. I know what 3hr marathon pace should feel like so thats the craic.

Last xmas I had a similar sickness and a week later ran a 10m PB. Granted I was always going to pb at the time but I ran it strong.

Bug has gone (weakness/scuts) and the cold/man flu is still with me but that too is lifting. I'll definitely be able to run tomorrow (4m) which will probably feel sweaty but I'll take it handy until Monday and give it 100%. I have loads of support out on the course which is really cool and I can't wait for it. Its such a great race this one.

Thanks very much for the comments. RQ, I hate lemsip. I have this stuff called Niquil that I got from the states. You take a wee shot of it and within 10 minutes its hard to stay awake. Great stuff. Thanks again ;)

Don't think I'll be sticking to the sub3 pacer as planned. I need to run this thing at my own pace now.

Now don't start thinking this is me giving up and not being mentally strong but I'm thinking of getting to half way at 3:05 pace (7:03m/m). The first half is tougher (hills wise) and there is a good few miles from half way to pick up time...if I can. Thing is 3:05 might be even too hard so I gotta see how I feel.

I'd love 3:05 and have made that my target now. Now if 3:05 pace feels too easy and at mile 5, thats obvious, I'll adjust. If its too hard, I'll adjust. I know what 3hr marathon pace should feel like so thats the craic.

Last xmas I had a similar sickness and a week later ran a 10m PB. Granted I was always going to pb at the time but I ran it strong.

Bug has gone (weakness/scuts) and the cold/man flu is still with me but that too is lifting. I'll definitely be able to run tomorrow (4m) which will probably feel sweaty but I'll take it handy until Monday and give it 100%. I have loads of support out on the course which is really cool and I can't wait for it. Its such a great race this one.

fair play to ya misty, it takes b*lls to say that at this stage....but i would say you should stand on the line with us anyway man! you have trained alongside us(virtually anyway :)) so you might as well start with us.....bit on banter for the 1st mile which will prob be 6:5X+ anyway due to conjestion....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Hey Misty, I'm planning on starting with sub 3 group but and will run at 7:05 mile pace if its any use to ya. I'll be glad of the company as I watch those sub 3 balloons drift slowly into the distance.

PS any other 3:05 hopefuls are more than welcome too !!!!

• Advertisement

Good to hear it's lifting, you'll be fine by Monday and be having a rethink on starting slower. You've made incredible gains since DCM last year, don't make any decisions on adjusting your goal yet. You don't want to start too slow and have too much time to make up if you're fine by Monday. See how you're feeling by Sunday, you've worked too hard to not start with the 3hr guys.

Plus, there's always Barcelona in March! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good to hear it's lifting, you'll be fine by Monday and be having a rethink on starting slower. You've made incredible gains since DCM last year, don't make any decisions on adjusting your goal yet. You don't want to start too slow and have too much time to make up if you're fine by Monday. See how you're feeling by Sunday, you've worked too hard to not start with the 3hr guys.

best of luck misty! Sorry to hear about the bug. +1 on not adjusting the goal too much. You never know, you may feel quite strong on the day with all that good training behind you.

enjoy the race

fair play to ya misty, it takes b*lls to say that at this stage....but i would say you should stand on the line with us anyway man! you have trained alongside us(virtually anyway

ha sub 3 comrades. Not sure about being brave, sure I've basically dropped my original target time. I'll start there alright. The first mile, unless we are at the very start will be 7:2? at least surely. Will be on the look out for Speedy so keep an eye open for us.
    ELFOYZER wrote: »
    Hey Misty, I'm planning on starting with sub 3 group but and will run at 7:05 mile pace if its any use to ya. I'll be glad of the company as I watch those sub 3 balloons drift slowly into the distance.

PS any other 3:05 hopefuls are more than welcome too !!!!

Cheers Elfoyzer, sounds like a plan. 7:05 until mile 5/6 for me and make up my mind then. So the company would be great until there. I can't breath through my nose right now so conversation might be a bit crap ;) should be over the worst of the snots by Monday...I hope.

Cheers RQ. Its ok, I've let go of the sub3 (but not really :D). No seriously, I know where I'm at and the idea of labouring a 1:30 first half is not the right thing. I just know it. But like I said, if at mile 5/6 things are feeling great well then its catch the ballons (around 1minute ahead?) over the next 21 miles......catch them just before the line, arms raised, sub 3*, goosebumps, tears of joy, beers, get sick, more beer, wet myself, sleep :D

Barca in March, now I'd be into that big time but I'm getting married in Feb and a longish holiday in Thailand. I much prefare training during the spring/winter so Spring 2012 for me. Have started thinking about ultra's....just thinking mind. See ya Monday and thanks. By the way, are you running it or what? You don't seem to be committing, you're doing it right? Nice to not really give a sh!t. That way you'll enjoy it.

*or sub 3:05

best of luck misty! Sorry to hear about the bug. +1 on not adjusting the goal too much. You never know, you may feel quite strong on the day with all that good training behind you.

enjoy the race

Cheers mate. will see, I'll get that sub 3, Monday or next time. See what happens eh.

Cheers RQ. Its ok, I've let go of the sub3 (but not really :D). No seriously, I know where I'm at and the idea of labouring a 1:30 first half is not the right thing. I just know it. But like I said, if at mile 5/6 things are feeling great well then its catch the ballons (around 1minute ahead?) over the next 21 miles......catch them just before the line, arms raised, sub 3*, goosebumps, tears of joy, beers, get sick, more beer, wet myself, sleep :D

Barca in March, now I'd be into that big time but I'm getting married in Feb and a longish holiday in Thailand. I much prefare training during the spring/winter so Spring 2012 for me. Have started thinking about ultra's....just thinking mind. See ya Monday and thanks. By the way, are you running it or what? You don't seem to be committing, you're doing it right? Nice to not really give a sh!t. That way you'll enjoy it.

*or sub 3:05

Surprise her with a second honeymoon.

No decision made yet, will pick up my number etc etc and probably decide on Sunday or see if I can get out of bed on Monday morning, I might just turn off the alarm and laugh at you all. I'll treat the weekend as if I am running but I'll only do it if it feels right.

Whats the story dude are we meeting up with the other folks from boards post race? Barring any unforseen trips in a wheelchair that is.......

Surprise her with a second honeymoon.

No decision made yet, will pick up my number etc etc and probably decide on Sunday or see if I can get out of bed on Monday morning, I might just turn off the alarm and laugh at you all. I'll treat the weekend as if I am running but I'll only do it if it feels right.

You are doing it. You'll appreciate the pints more. nom nom nom
    tunguska wrote: »
    Whats the story dude are we meeting up with the other folks from boards post race? Barring any unforseen trips in a wheelchair that is.......

Really wanna do that. The lads in the club are going to the gingerman...I think its called that but I would love to pop out to Grattans (or whatever its called) too. Thing is my family, their kids and some of the lads are heading in (well Niall and Flan anyway) also. Don't think I'll be heading home after the race though. Stay in town, baby wipe shower. Feck it.

re the wheelchair :D You'll always have that image of me. Worse again was that it was one of those WWII wheelchairs with the four wheels being the same small size. It was more a trolley wheelchair. The state of me in it.

You are doing it. You'll appreciate the pints more. nom nom nom

Really wanna do that. The lads in the club are going to the gingerman...I think its called that but I would love to pop out to Grattans (or whatever its called) too. Thing is my family, their kids and some of the lads are heading in (well Niall and Flan anyway) also. Don't think I'll be heading home after the race though. Stay in town, baby wipe shower. Feck it.

re the wheelchair :D You'll always have that image of me. Worse again was that it was one of those WWII wheelchairs with the four wheels being the same small size. It was more a trolley wheelchair. The state of me in it.

Sure listen I'll see you at the finish anyway. I'd like to see Niall and gar, havent seen them in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck on Monday Misty...steady she goes and see where your at at half way...enjoy

ad best of luck to you aswell,Tunguska....expecting a big race from you !

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Sure listen I'll see you at the finish anyway.

Make sure you report back on the colour of his lips at the finish line...:pac:

Advertisement