Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks of DCM training (sub 3 attempt)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Make sure you report back on the colour of his lips at the finish line...:pac:

ha ha :D for anyone reading that, thats not a reference to lipstick wearing. I hope I'm not in that state again.

Fri 22nd Oct
    4m @ 8:20m/m
    Same effort last week during an easy run was at ~8:00m/m.
    Wasn't feeling the best but it wasn't that bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Some good vibes coming out off that run, come monday you will be A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thurs 7th Oct
    2m wu / 4 x 3m @ MP / 2-3min jog in between/ 2m wd (17m tot)
    Here are the 4x3 sets:

6:36/6:43/6:43
    6:42/6:38/6:45
    6:44/6:35/6:46
    6:34/6:41/6:39

A bit faster than PMP but I felt comfortable. Very happy with that session, I felt strong enough all the way, great.

Oh and read this again and again between now and monday if you ve doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

hope things clear up for my misty, best of luck with the final prep....see ya at the start line

Thanks everyone. Seany, you might want to edit that typo :D:D:D:D ha ha ha. Kennyb, thanks for reminding me of that one....that was a good one alright.

Good luck to all.

Off to the expo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Best of luck Misty. Hopefully all goes well. Was at the expo myself today and ended up buyin compression socks and gels :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Some great runs on this log, put them to god use on Monday. Good luck MF!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Best of luck Misty. Hopefully all goes well. Was at the expo myself today and ended up buyin compression socks and gels :rolleyes:

Cheers smmoore. I picked up a pair of socks and asked the guy how much they cost. €16 :eek: screw that. I thought the expo was good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Cheers smmoore. I picked up a pair of socks and asked the guy how much they cost. €16 :eek: screw that. I thought the expo was good all the same.

Thats gas, I was also drawn to the compression sock strategy.
    Probably more acceptable now everyone's wearing them, but defo not going to stroll through town on way to the start line, not a chance.

I picked up a pair of socks and asked the guy how much they cost. €16 :eek: screw that. I thought the expo was good all the same.

I wanted too pick up a pair off arm warmers nothing fancy, asked the guy how much 30euro :rolleyes:. I offered him 20euro, no sale. There were plenty off good bargains though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck again. Hope you're feeling a bit better today and it all goes as well as possible for you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have a good one Misty best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Hope you have a good run tomorrow Misty, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Get the f'uck in!! I knew you'd do it!Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I was informed of your Sub 3 by text - WAYHAY! Congrats man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Congratulations. Another Boardsie joins the sub 3 club. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Sounds like someone ran a really good race, looking forward to your report, well deserved! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done misty...looking forward to the report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

RQ told me the good news earlier - I'm absolutely delighted, I never doubted you for a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'd like to welcome the newest member of the club :D

Congrats, looking forward to a full report

:D thanks so so much guys. "I never doubted it for a minute" says Aero2k. Well I did. That was the hardest thing I've evet done.

I can't tell you guys how happy I am. I'm so proud.

Sorry for those that didn't make their targets today but welll done for the effort.....thats what counts. Well done to those that did.

I'm locked :D I'll chat tomorrow.
    Andy.

Ps some cracking performances today. well done all. You can't beat the marathon. Love it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Told ya you'd do it. You had no faith in my knowledge. Thrilled for you, good to chat in McGrattans afterwards too. See you down the club next week, no seriously... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done misty! great stuff.

Well done delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Well done.. its good to see a few sub3 boardsies! Hoping i can join that club once the knee is sorted. Was already looking at Feb11 marathons across Europe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Brilliant stuff misty, last years demons well and truely buried! well done.

Told ya you'd do it. You had no faith in my knowledge. Thrilled for you, good to chat in McGrattans afterwards too. See you down the club next week, no seriously... :pac:

Cheers RQ. We shook on it remember? Brian was a witness.
    heffsarmy wrote: »
    Well done delighted for you.
    Jesus, well done yourself. 2:35. I can't get my head around that. Enjoy the week in the sun.
    Well done.. its good to see a few sub3 boardsies! Hoping i can join that club once the knee is sorted. Was already looking at Feb11 marathons across Europe!!

Sorry you didn't get the 3 Smmoore. Barcelona seems to be the in thing around here. Speedy recovery!!
    Wilbury wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff misty, last years demons well and truely buried! well done.
    Cheers Wilbury. Yeah its great to put that behind me. I think I'll never forget last year but the lows make the highs better and make you hungry to fix it. Did you run yourself yesterday? If so how'd it go?

DCM 2010

12 weeks leading to race.
    I wasn't happy with things on the lead up to the race. 7 weeks ago, throwing my toys out of the pram, I had serious intentions of packing it in to try to enjoy my running again and relieve the headache that is 'sub 3'. So I was bullied into doing it by fellow boardsies on this log :D Then onto the Dublin half marathon and things were starting to click...I got an ok time of 1:24:45. I did struggle home for the last couple of miles but for the most of that race I felt stronger than I had in training since the Spring. Sub 3 was back on the agenda.

........and then it was off the agenda when on the final week of taper I got a flu/cold and a stomach bug. To avoid stress, I accepted 3:05 would still be worth going for and I'd be happy with that. For reasurance I asked Tunguska at the expo if I'd blow up trying to stick to the sub 3 pacers. He comfirmed what I thought and said no. Sub 3 back on the agenda. I got a pace band from Krusty and got good advice about pacing. Being sick that week meant I wasn't worried or stressed as I had nothing to loose. I was ready for the bad news of not making it. The bummer of that last week was not getting the confidence you get from those final few runs when you really have to work to slow down. Still, I had decent training in the bag and I trusted it.

The race
    The plan was simple: stick to the sub 3 pacer unless the wheels came off. I was positioned about 5meters from one (Jason) when the race started but by the time he crossed the line and I did, he was already running away from me. Down to O'Connell street, he was maybe 100m ahead. My first mile was 6:57 and I was happy to do my own thing and run my own race. I was glad I had that pace band as I would use it a lot over the next while.

The miles ticked off and I checked my time against the split time on the pace band. The ~6:50 pace felt alright. My legs felt fine and my sinuses were feeling good...finally.
    I did this stupid thing a lot throughout training and even in the race yesterday, I kept comparing how I felt during training and during Rotterdam and feeling a little pissed that things were way easier back in April. Yesterday, I'd carry on regardless and what will be will be. Job to do.

Every so often I'd look up and see the pacer baloon about 80m ahead. It was nice to see he wasn't pulling away from me. I was doing my own thing but its a great reasurance. Then his baloon burst when it hit trees in the park. Sh1t!! Up popped a '3.00' sign, lovely.

The amount of support I had was fantastic, not to mention the crowds out there.....unreal. Met a mate to give me gels, my gf, some of her family, my family and some of my friends all out to cheer me on. It was great. Going by the club and got another lift from everyone. I met Kaymin in the Park and it was good to see him and on sub 3 pace.

The crumlin road was a bit of a drag for me. It was starting to hurt at this point. I was checking all of the split times against my watch and I knew I was going to be under for the first half. I didn't see any of the auto lap mile splits, but I used the average pace window. I was around 6:46 or 6:47 and I knew it would have to be this to allow for the longer distance the garmin records. Crossing the half way point and I was under by about 20-30 seconds.....I can't remember exactly. At 14miles I hit a low point. I started thinking about how sore I felt and how far I had to go, how better I felt in Rotterdam. My body wanted to ease off the pace and it was only at 14m! I snapped out of it and started saying to myself 'relax, relax'. I also did that thing of rubbing my index fingers with my thumbs, supposed to help with tension in the shoulders ? but it was a distraction and I tried to think positive thoughts. Next thing I know and I'm flying along, feeling good again :confused:.

There was a big group formed up ahead around Jason and every time they got near crowds (supporting), he would raise the 3'00 sign and the crowd would go mental. I wanted a bit of that so I decided to slowly try to catch up. I finally caught up at around 18m and I would stick to that guy like glue. As soon as I caught him, I really felt like I could do it. I ignored the pace band and watch and switched off. I might have switched off too much as I stepped on a bottle that was still full and nearly done in my ankle. It was sore for a minute but I got lucky. Being in this group was just excellent. To be able to switch off is such an advantage and the crowds cheering was brilliant.

20-22 mile, tired but still going well, a nice rhythem, fueling was going well, no niggles and best of all no negative thoughts. By mile 23 and I was dying for the miles to chip away. At this point i felt a bit ill but my legs were not letting me down and seemed to be doing what I wanted them to do. Nice feeling that. Jason said to us a few times that we were at '2:59 low' pace so I started thinking about how much I could fade and still get away with sub 3......best to stop thinking and stick to him. Man, it was tough. I mean seriously, it was like my legs were working but I wasn't in control of them. It was weird, like a motor turning over, I was just moving forward, still at the same pace but kind of out of it. At mile 25, I thanked the pacer for doing the pacing job. He assured me I'd get it and said its supposed to hurt. Anyway, we were about to get to the front of trinity and he kind of took the foot off to gather people "are we still on?" ..."yep your well on mate, your gonna do it" he said. I turned the corner by Trinity and my family/friends spotted me. I let out such a load roar at them with closed fist "YEEEEAAAAHHHHH". I don't know what came over me, I just knew I had it and I was so happy. Coming down to the finish and I saw the clock with 2:58?? on it, I didn't give a **** about sprint finishes or anything and just shouted my head off for the last 50m, waving my arms and trying to get the crowd going. Not that they needed it. Amazing feeling, I don't give a sh!t I shed one or two tears right after finishing. I did it.

2:58:59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fantastic achievement Misty, fair play to you.

Advertisement