Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks of DCM training (sub 3 attempt)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭tergat

DCM 2010

12 weeks leading to race.
    I wasn't happy with things on the lead up to the race. 7 weeks ago, throwing my toys out of the pram, I had serious intentions of packing it in to try to enjoy my running again and relieve the headache that is 'sub 3'. So I was bullied into doing it by fellow boardsies on this log :D Then onto the Dublin half marathon and things were starting to click...I got an ok time of 1:24:45. I did struggle home for the last couple of miles but for the most of that race I felt stronger than I had in training since the Spring. Sub 3 was back on the agenda.

........and then it was off the agenda when on the final week of taper I got a flu/cold and a stomach bug. To avoid stress, I accepted 3:05 would still be worth going for and I'd be happy with that. For reasurance I asked Tunguska at the expo if I'd blow up trying to stick to the sub 3 pacers. He comfirmed what I thought and said no. Sub 3 back on the agenda. I got a pace band from Krusty and got good advice about pacing. Being sick that week meant I wasn't worried or stressed as I had nothing to loose. I was ready for the bad news of not making it. The bummer of that last week was not getting the confidence you get from those final few runs when you really have to work to slow down. Still, I had decent training in the bag and I trusted it.

The race
    The plan was simple: stick to the sub 3 pacer unless the wheels came off. I was positioned about 5meters from one (Jason) when the race started but by the time he crossed the line and I did, he was already running away from me. Down to O'Connell street, he was maybe 100m ahead. My first mile was 6:57 and I was happy to do my own thing and run my own race. I was glad I had that pace band as I would use it a lot over the next while.

The miles ticked off and I checked my time against the split time on the pace band. The ~6:50 pace felt alright. My legs felt fine and my sinuses were feeling good...finally.
    I did this stupid thing a lot throughout training and even in the race yesterday, I kept comparing how I felt during training and during Rotterdam and feeling a little pissed that things were way easier back in April. Yesterday, I'd carry on regardless and what will be will be. Job to do.

Every so often I'd look up and see the pacer baloon about 80m ahead. It was nice to see he wasn't pulling away from me. I was doing my own thing but its a great reasurance. Then his baloon burst when it hit trees in the park. Sh1t!! Up popped a '3.00' sign, lovely.

The amount of support I had was fantastic, not to mention the crowds out there.....unreal. Met a mate to give me gels, my gf, some of her family, my family and some of my friends all out to cheer me on. It was great. Going by the club and got another lift from everyone. I met Kaymin in the Park and it was good to see him and on sub 3 pace.

The crumlin road was a bit of a drag for me. It was starting to hurt at this point. I was checking all of the split times against my watch and I knew I was going to be under for the first half. I didn't see any of the auto lap mile splits, but I used the average pace window. I was around 6:46 or 6:47 and I knew it would have to be this to allow for the longer distance the garmin records. Crossing the half way point and I was under by about 20-30 seconds.....I can't remember exactly. At 14miles I hit a low point. I started thinking about how sore I felt and how far I had to go, how better I felt in Rotterdam. My body wanted to ease off the pace and it was only at 14m! I snapped out of it and started saying to myself 'relax, relax'. I also did that thing of rubbing my index fingers with my thumbs, supposed to help with tension in the shoulders ? but it was a distraction and I tried to think positive thoughts. Next thing I know and I'm flying along, feeling good again :confused:.

There was a big group formed up ahead around Jason and every time they got near crowds (supporting), he would raise the 3'00 sign and the crowd would go mental. I wanted a bit of that so I decided to slowly try to catch up. I finally caught up at around 18m and I would stick to that guy like glue. As soon as I caught him, I really felt like I could do it. I ignored the pace band and watch and switched off. I might have switched off too much as I stepped on a bottle that was still full and nearly done in my ankle. It was sore for a minute but I got lucky. Being in this group was just excellent. To be able to switch off is such an advantage and the crowds cheering was brilliant.

20-22 mile, tired but still going well, a nice rhythem, fueling was going well, no niggles and best of all no negative thoughts. By mile 23 and I was dying for the miles to chip away. At this point i felt a bit ill but my legs were not letting me down and seemed to be doing what I wanted them to do. Nice feeling that. Jason said to us a few times that we were at '2:59 low' pace so I started thinking about how much I could fade and still get away with sub 3......best to stop thinking and stick to him. Man, it was tough. I mean seriously, it was like my legs were working but I wasn't in control of them. It was weird, like a motor turning over, I was just moving forward, still at the same pace but kind of out of it. At mile 25, I thanked the pacer for doing the pacing job. He assured me I'd get it and said its supposed to hurt. Anyway, we were about to get to the front of trinity and he kind of took the foot off to gather people "are we still on?" ..."yep your well on mate, your gonna do it" he said. I turned the corner by Trinity and my family/friends spotted me. I let out such a load roar at them with closed fist "YEEEEAAAAHHHHH". I don't know what came over me, I just knew I had it and I was so happy. Coming down to the finish and I saw the clock with 2:58?? on it, I didn't give a **** about sprint finishes or anything and just shouted my head off for the last 50m, waving my arms and trying to get the crowd going. Not that they needed it. Amazing feeling, I don't give a sh!t I shed one or two tears right after finishing. I did it.

2:58:59

misty floyd,

And that my friend is why we all run. Cant beat that feeling of achieving a goal. Enjoy the moment and well done.

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

DCM 2010

12 weeks leading to race.
    I wasn't happy with things on the lead up to the race. 7 weeks ago, throwing my toys out of the pram, I had serious intentions of packing it in to try to enjoy my running again and relieve the headache that is 'sub 3'. So I was bullied into doing it by fellow boardsies on this log :D Then onto the Dublin half marathon and things were starting to click...I got an ok time of 1:24:45. I did struggle home for the last couple of miles but for the most of that race I felt stronger than I had in training since the Spring. Sub 3 was back on the agenda.

........and then it was off the agenda when on the final week of taper I got a flu/cold and a stomach bug. To avoid stress, I accepted 3:05 would still be worth going for and I'd be happy with that. For reasurance I asked Tunguska at the expo if I'd blow up trying to stick to the sub 3 pacers. He comfirmed what I thought and said no. Sub 3 back on the agenda. I got a pace band from Krusty and got good advice about pacing. Being sick that week meant I wasn't worried or stressed as I had nothing to loose. I was ready for the bad news of not making it. The bummer of that last week was not getting the confidence you get from those final few runs when you really have to work to slow down. Still, I had decent training in the bag and I trusted it.

The race
    The plan was simple: stick to the sub 3 pacer unless the wheels came off. I was positioned about 5meters from one (Jason) when the race started but by the time he crossed the line and I did, he was already running away from me. Down to O'Connell street, he was maybe 100m ahead. My first mile was 6:57 and I was happy to do my own thing and run my own race. I was glad I had that pace band as I would use it a lot over the next while.

The miles ticked off and I checked my time against the split time on the pace band. The ~6:50 pace felt alright. My legs felt fine and my sinuses were feeling good...finally.
    I did this stupid thing a lot throughout training and even in the race yesterday, I kept comparing how I felt during training and during Rotterdam and feeling a little pissed that things were way easier back in April. Yesterday, I'd carry on regardless and what will be will be. Job to do.

Every so often I'd look up and see the pacer baloon about 80m ahead. It was nice to see he wasn't pulling away from me. I was doing my own thing but its a great reasurance. Then his baloon burst when it hit trees in the park. Sh1t!! Up popped a '3.00' sign, lovely.

The amount of support I had was fantastic, not to mention the crowds out there.....unreal. Met a mate to give me gels, my gf, some of her family, my family and some of my friends all out to cheer me on. It was great. Going by the club and got another lift from everyone. I met Kaymin in the Park and it was good to see him and on sub 3 pace.

The crumlin road was a bit of a drag for me. It was starting to hurt at this point. I was checking all of the split times against my watch and I knew I was going to be under for the first half. I didn't see any of the auto lap mile splits, but I used the average pace window. I was around 6:46 or 6:47 and I knew it would have to be this to allow for the longer distance the garmin records. Crossing the half way point and I was under by about 20-30 seconds.....I can't remember exactly. At 14miles I hit a low point. I started thinking about how sore I felt and how far I had to go, how better I felt in Rotterdam. My body wanted to ease off the pace and it was only at 14m! I snapped out of it and started saying to myself 'relax, relax'. I also did that thing of rubbing my index fingers with my thumbs, supposed to help with tension in the shoulders ? but it was a distraction and I tried to think positive thoughts. Next thing I know and I'm flying along, feeling good again :confused:.

There was a big group formed up ahead around Jason and every time they got near crowds (supporting), he would raise the 3'00 sign and the crowd would go mental. I wanted a bit of that so I decided to slowly try to catch up. I finally caught up at around 18m and I would stick to that guy like glue. As soon as I caught him, I really felt like I could do it. I ignored the pace band and watch and switched off. I might have switched off too much as I stepped on a bottle that was still full and nearly done in my ankle. It was sore for a minute but I got lucky. Being in this group was just excellent. To be able to switch off is such an advantage and the crowds cheering was brilliant.

20-22 mile, tired but still going well, a nice rhythem, fueling was going well, no niggles and best of all no negative thoughts. By mile 23 and I was dying for the miles to chip away. At this point i felt a bit ill but my legs were not letting me down and seemed to be doing what I wanted them to do. Nice feeling that. Jason said to us a few times that we were at '2:59 low' pace so I started thinking about how much I could fade and still get away with sub 3......best to stop thinking and stick to him. Man, it was tough. I mean seriously, it was like my legs were working but I wasn't in control of them. It was weird, like a motor turning over, I was just moving forward, still at the same pace but kind of out of it. At mile 25, I thanked the pacer for doing the pacing job. He assured me I'd get it and said its supposed to hurt. Anyway, we were about to get to the front of trinity and he kind of took the foot off to gather people "are we still on?" ..."yep your well on mate, your gonna do it" he said. I turned the corner by Trinity and my family/friends spotted me. I let out such a load roar at them with closed fist "YEEEEAAAAHHHHH". I don't know what came over me, I just knew I had it and I was so happy. Coming down to the finish and I saw the clock with 2:58?? on it, I didn't give a **** about sprint finishes or anything and just shouted my head off for the last 50m, waving my arms and trying to get the crowd going. Not that they needed it. Amazing feeling, I don't give a sh!t I shed one or two tears right after finishing. I did it.

Fair play misty...I finished in 2.59.02 so we must have side by side for ages...Pity we didnt know each other!!..Pacers were fab..they did great job and I can honestly say i would'nt have got under 3 if it was'nt 4 them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

tergat wrote: »
    misty floyd,

And that my friend is why we all run. Cant beat that feeling of achieving a goal. Enjoy the moment and well done.

Tergat

Tergat, your posts on the main forum go a long way in helping people reach their goals. Thanks a million.
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Fair play misty...I finished in 2.59.02 so we must have side by side for ages...Pity we didnt know each other!!..Pacers were fab..they did great job and I can honestly say i would'nt have got under 3 if it was'nt 4 them...

nice one Liamo. Thats excellent stuff, well done. Yeah we must of been beside each other. I was wearing a white singlet with a black band around the chest......not that that makes any odds....a lot of it was a blur and I wasn't taking much in.

I had red berlin marathon top on..Like that I was looking straight ahead for last few miles..was under serious pressure and not being 2 observant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great report, especially that last paragraph. Well done again Misty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great stuff misty, really chuffed for you especially after I saw the state of you first hand last year :D
    You the man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

great report Misty, way chuffed for you. Which of the pacers was Jason was he the younger or older dude? When I dropped back off the first pacer at 14mls, I was surprised that it took 2-3mls for the 2nd pacer to pass me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Savage report, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

That's great stuff Misty, really great stuff. Well done.

Thanks lads.
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    great report Misty, way chuffed for you. Which of the pacers was Jason was he the younger or older dude? When I dropped back off the first pacer at 14mls, I was surprised that it took 2-3mls for the 2nd pacer to pass me.

He was young enough, maybe 30? wearing black

• Advertisement

Video of me finishing (white singlet, shouting) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Video of me finishing (white singlet) :D

That's how you finish a marathon, class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

With a little more effort put into running rather than shouting, you might have passed Robin :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    With a little more effort put into running rather than shouting, you might have passed Robin :pac:

ha ha sure Robin always beats me at the end of races, screw that. I was gonna enjoy that last 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

well done mate, there is alot of shouting in that video! haha....love it

craicing report too misty, great read.....loved the bit "starting thinking about how much i could fade and still make sub3", did that myself yesterday haha...

delighted you got there anyway man, and good to meet ya aftwerwards....
    i had touble spotting anyone at the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

... I don't give a sh!t I shed one or two tears right after finishing. I did it.

Jaysus Andy, I don't mind saying that I nearly shed a tear or two at the end of that!!
    Fair play delighted for you. Relax now, job done, get back to just enjoying the running again. Really well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Fair going Misty, great report, dleighted you got your target this time, recover well! :)

Ah I remember you now..All the roaring and shouting ( was thinking 2 myself how does he have the energy 2 roar like that!!) Im left of u 3 seconds behind (I could'nt even let out a whimper :D )...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Wow Misty well done, I've been following your log over the past while (only just started posting myself over the past few days) really pleased for you. That video is class, that is some way to cross the line. Inspirational stuff. It's got me all buzzed up now in October (!!!!) for my second marathon planned for Cork next year. Makes me really want to hit my sub 3:30 target. Well done again man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Awesome report and achievement. I nearly shed a tear too, watching the video!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant run, and a great read for your report. Well done on a richly deserved sub 3, you're an inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Cheers Wilbury. Yeah its great to put that behind me. I think I'll never forget last year but the lows make the highs better and make you hungry to fix it. Did you run yourself yesterday? If so how'd it go?

Got around in 3.27.17. (3.32.51 last year) so happy days for the moment anyway.

Brilliant race report, a great read!

seanynova wrote: »
    delighted you got there anyway man, and good to meet ya aftwerwards....
    i had touble spotting anyone at the start

Thanks Sean. Chuffed for yourself. Genuinely pleased for you. You nailed it big time. It was perfect that you saw me for a brief chat too.
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Jaysus Andy, I don't mind saying that I nearly shed a tear or two at the end of that!!
    Fair play delighted for you. Relax now, job done, get back to just enjoying the running again. Really well done

Thanks Dusty. Can't wait to be albe to run easy next week, whenever I want and for as short as I feel like it. Cheers.
    tisnotover wrote: »
    Fair going Misty, great report, dleighted you got your target this time, recover well! :)
    Thanks tno. Digging up your race report again on Sun night helped to make my mind up that I was sticking to the pacer. Glad I did.
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Ah I remember you now..All the roaring and shouting ( was thinking 2 myself how does he have the energy 2 roar like that!!) Im left of u 3 seconds behind (I could'nt even let out a whimper :D )...
    ha ha you look tired but inside I was a cabbage, believe me....it hurt a lot. Well done again Liamo. Class stuff.
    outforarun wrote: »
    Wow Misty well done, I've been following your log over the past while (only just started posting myself over the past few days) really pleased for you. That video is class, that is some way to cross the line. Inspirational stuff. It's got me all buzzed up now in October (!!!!) for my second marathon planned for Cork next year. Makes me really want to hit my sub 3:30 target. Well done again man.
    Great stuff outforarun (good name too). Happy to hear that, that puts a smile on my face :D
    Awesome report and achievement. I nearly shed a tear too, watching the video!
    :D nice one. Thing is I didn't even know there was gonna be a video. That was pure adrenaline. Well done on the pacing by the way. Not surprised to read you got it spot on.
    Brilliant run, and a great read for your report. Well done on a richly deserved sub 3, you're an inspiration.
    Thanks mate. You'll get it yourself dono and like I said (and mean it) that finishing after blowing up is a bigger achievement, pure guts and determination. It'll always stand to you. Sure I know you'll be racing hills soon, loving it.
    Wilbury wrote: »
    Got around in 3.27.17. (3.32.51 last year) so happy days for the moment anyway.

Brilliant race report, a great read!
    Excellent stuff Wilbury. Congratulations, enjoy the next will and rest well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Ahh misty well done mate. Sorry we didnt get to chat in the pub i was fairly well on when you appeared and trust me it just would have been gibberish:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Congrats misty, a super result. And a great report too. This sub 3 lark doesn't sound too easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

great running misty; we've got matching pbs' now. You looked in great shape at the finish. And now with that off your back you can have some fun seeing what you are really capable of, happy days.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Ahh misty well done mate. Sorry we didnt get to chat in the pub i was fairly well on when you appeared and trust me it just would have been gibberish:D

Ha ha yeah you seemed to be having the craic alright. Two hours later and I was worse than yourself. Good job on the pacing by the way. Seriously, I think its dead on that people do that. Much appreciated.
    Macanri wrote: »
    Congrats misty, a super result. And a great report too. This sub 3 lark doesn't sound too easy!
    Thanks Macanri. Sub 2.40, sub3, 4, 5 its all hard once you set a tough target for yourself.
    asimonov wrote: »
    great running misty; we've got matching pbs' now. You looked in great shape at the finish. And now with that off your back you can have some fun seeing what you are really capable of, happy days.
    Ah cheers asimonov. How did the Leinster go on Sunday? I was gonna go down to watch but thought it would be best to keep warm and shake the cold fully. Glad I choose the later ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Ah cheers asimonov. How did the Leinster go on Sunday? I was gonna go down to watch but thought it would be best to keep warm and shake the cold fully. Glad I choose the later ;)

good call alright! Leinster's were great; amazing day for xc - as near to road running as you can get. I started slowly and did well in the middle of the race making up a fair few places before the legs went on the last few hills. Ended up in 24th place out of 83 - so all in all it was a good blow out and a welcome change from training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin11178 wrote: »

It was gibberish when I was chatting to you at 8:45 am on Monday aswell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

It was gibberish when I was chatting to you at 8:45 am on Monday aswell...

Dont forget you owe me a pint:D

Advertisement