Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Months holidays, ridiculous?

• 03-08-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

So with all my free time from the freedom of school i've been looking, reading and doing a whole variety of things, some (few :p) of these have been educational. But anyway i'll get to the point, i've seen it mentioned twice in as many weeks about the length of the summer holidays being ridiculously long. And I think they are right, forget about trying to keep your long vacation for a minute because new legislation aint coming in to change this for the forseeable future so we will all be long gone from school.

So they were originally intended for children to be able to help out in the farm during the busy time, nowadays probably around 80%+ don't live on a farm and farming has changed immensly so this reason is now irrelevant.

But what does everybody think? I know its nice for us young'uns to be young and all but it is a bit ridiclous when you think about it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Liveit wrote: »
    So with all my free time from the freedom of school i've been looking, reading and doing a whole variety of things, some (few :p) of these have been educational. But anyway i'll get to the point, i've seen it mentioned twice in as many weeks about the length of the summer holidays being ridiculously long. And I think they are right, forget about trying to keep your long vacation for a minute because new legislation aint coming in to change this for the forseeable future so we will all be long gone from school.

So they were originally intended for children to be able to help out in the farm during the busy time, nowadays probably around 80%+ don't live on a farm and farming has changed immensly so this reason is now irrelevant.

But what does everybody think? I know its nice for us young'uns to be young and all but it is a bit ridiclous when you think about it
    Get a feckin job ya bum!
    That or a hobbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Are you serious? :pac:

....Go out and enjoy your Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I have a job
    I have many hobbies.
    thank you for your *valuable* response

I have a job
    I have many hobbies.

You dont work enough hours.

Are you seriously asking for less time out of college/school?
    Perhaps you should go to France for the Summer and improve your language.

You've asked a question/raised a topic. If you aren't prepared to take all answers to it you shouldn't have posted.
    The fact that you have a job wasnt very obvious from your post.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I did my leaving cert two years ago, and I still had to come in to say that no, the summer break is not too long!. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I have a job
    I have many hobbies.

Yeah....thank you for your *valuable* thread. Get out and enjoy yourself - there is plenty enough time ahead int he next FORTY YEARS for workign with no summer breaks.
    Quit yer whining whippersnapper!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Just curious...

How do you think we should get? :pac:

kippy wrote: »
    You dont work enough hours.
    Im posting this at midnight, do you expect me to be working now after working on the farm all day until 8 o clock?
    Are you seriously asking for less time out of college/school?
    Perhaps you should go to France for the Summer and improve your language.
    Im looking for peoples opinions. I didn't say there would be less holidays just that a 3 month block is ridiculous
    You've asked a question/raised a topic. If you aren't prepared to take all answers to it you shouldn't have posted.
    The fact that you have a job wasnt very obvious from your post.....
    I raised a topic and therefore I would expect that posts would be relevant. It's ok, I won't start a fight over it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wait til college, even though I have repeats I'll have had nearly 4 months off. ^_^

Yeah....thank you for your *valuable* thread. Get out and enjoy yourself - there is plenty enough time ahead int he next FORTY YEARS for workign with no summer breaks.
    Quit yer whining whippersnapper!
    Well mabye if we got ahead in the first 18 YEARS we wouldn't have to work for the next 40 YEARS....wait jesus! never knew that when a person is working they can't take a single break during the summer :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I personally would have preferred a system with shorter school days and shorter holidays, like the German one for example. I think it'd be better for spreading out the workload and reducing stress.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's not long enough, thanks to the LC taking up nearly all of June (damn whoever put Applied Maths on the 25th!).

I actually can't believe that were in August already - I really need to get working on finishing my summer list!
    I personally would have preferred a system with shorter school days and shorter holidays, like the German one for example. I think it'd be better for spreading out the workload and reducing stress.
    I completely agree with that. I hate being home at 5 in the evening, when you have loads of homework to do and a teacher has decided to give you a test the next day. It is a lot to do at once!

Well mabye if we got ahead in the first 18 YEARS we wouldn't have to work for the next 40 YEARS....wait jesus! never knew that when a person is working they can't take a single break during the summer :confused:
    Get ahead in what?

but it is a bit ridiclous when you think about it

Your wrong, very wrong, everything you just said is wrong. Did my leaving in 07 but I still had to comment on this. WRONG!

Im posting this at midnight, do you expect me to be working now after working on the farm all day until 8 o clock?

Im looking for peoples opinions. I didn't say there would be less holidays just that a 3 month block is ridiculous

I raised a topic and therefore I would expect that posts would be relevant. It's ok, I won't start a fight over it :p

You never once mentioned you had a job in your OP.

Having a job in your formative years is as big a part to your education as school/college.
    I worked (my own "small" business") the summer after second year, and in the same put for the next three summers. I learnt more in the pub/behind the bar than I ever did in school in how to deal with all types of people and scenarios than I ever did in any college/school.
    Even the brief foray into self employment helped a lot.
    We're exceptionally lucky nowadays that we can do that and indeed that we dont have to feck off to scotland/england/us at 12 or 13 to send money home for the rest of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you asked me this last summer, when I was unemployed, made absolutely no plans for summer, and was bored to tears for a huge chunk of the summer, I would've agreed with you wholeheartedly.

But this summer I luckily found a job, made a decent load of plans before summer began, and made sure to have something to do so I won't have to rely on my friends all the time, and have enjoyed the summer, learned a lot (not academic stuff, more practical stuff and dealing with all kinds of people and the public in general), and it has been very worthwhile. The 3 months are great, more time to make money. I'm not dreading going back in September or anything, I'm just happy I've one month of summer left.

So get out there man, be proactive, if your friends don't organise anything to do, you organise it, if you never ask you'll never receive! There's nothing wrong with the 3 months if you learn to make good use of them, it's up to you to get out of the house and make something of yourself! :)

shaaane wrote: »
    Your wrong, very wrong, everything you just said is wrong. Did my leaving in 07 but I still had to comment on this. WRONG!
    Okaayyyy
    You never once mentioned you had a job in your OP.

Having a job in your formative years is as big a part to your education as school/college.
    I worked (my own "small" business") the summer after second year, and in the same put for the next three summers. I learnt more in the pub/behind the bar than I ever did in school in how to deal with all types of people and scenarios than I ever did in any college/school.
    Even the brief foray into self employment helped a lot.
    We're exceptionally lucky nowadays that we can do that and indeed that we dont have to feck off to scotland/england/us at 12 or 13 to send money home for the rest of the family.
    Yep i'd agree, i've learned loads more outside school than in it without a doubt. But thats the problem it should be the opposite, we are not learning things that are relevant to today! The government want us to get jobs and/or start businesses, but yet after 5 years in secondary school including 3 years of business i didn't know about tax, grants where to go for help from school at all. /rant
    But anyway, there is no real reasonable reason for the holidays to be that long
    jumpguy wrote: »
    If you asked me this last summer, when I was unemployed, made absolutely no plans for summer, and was bored to tears for a huge chunk of the summer, I would've agreed with you wholeheartedly.

But this summer I luckily found a job, made a decent load of plans before summer began, and made sure to have something to do so I won't have to rely on my friends all the time, and have enjoyed the summer, learned a lot, and it has been very worthwhile. The 3 months are great, more time to make money. I'm not dreading going back in September or anything, I'm just happy I've one month of summer left.

So get out there man, be proactive, if your friends don't organise anything to do, you organise it, if you never ask you'll never receive! There's nothing wrong with the 3 months if you learn to make good use of them, it's up to you to get out of the house and make something of yourself! :)
    haha ok ok, you seem to think i do nothing at all. i go out everyweek( being 18!! :D ), soccer everyweek, mabye football and go to friends house aswell, organising trip to festival now etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

haha ok ok, you seem to think i do nothing at all. i go out everyweek( being 18!! :D ), soccer everyweek, mabye football and go to friends house aswell, organising trip to festival now etc etc...
    Haha, no, I'm not trying to make you out to be lazy or anything like that, but if you have so much to do and are enjoying the summer, then why do you feel it should be shortened?

That said, I am more in favour of the German system also. Shorter schooldays at the cost of shorter summer holidays would be much better I think. I hate in Winter that you go to school with the sun coming up, and come home when it's setting. It's also very intense and unhealthy, especially if you've a lot of study to do. Like, coming home, relaxing until 5 maybe, and then studying until 10, and doing it all again? There's very little free time in the day, especially in Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I just hate the feeling of PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE (just finished 5th year now going into 6th) then 3 months of pure loafness.

Yep i'd agree, i've learned loads more outside school than in it without a doubt. But thats the problem it should be the opposite, we are not learning things that are relevant to today! The government want us to get jobs and/or start businesses, but yet after 5 years in secondary school including 3 years of business i didn't know about tax, grants where to go for help from school at all. /rant
    But anyway, there is no real reasonable reason for the holidays to be that long

It should be the opposite for it NEVER is, no matter what country you are in or who you are. The VAST majority of learning is done ON the job, no matter what that job is. School/College cannot teach you everything for every job, just a very broad and small part of it.
    You have a point of course, a lot of what is taugh at secondary and third level is very irrelevent and indeed could be changed to make it more relevant in todays world, however you still wouldn't be well up.

I think a good 3 day session on how to make the best use of the internet and other resources is all many people would need to be able to adapt and find out all that extra information like the information you are saying you should be taught. All that information is out there - it changed regularily so the internet is the best source for it. Thats my tuppence anyway.

The reason the holidays are that long is to give you a break from formal learning. You should really make the most of them. Whether it be working for some extra cash (dont do that ALL summer either, you will be working long enough) or travelling a bit or spending time at your hobbies......do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I think it should be shorter tbh - I'm agreeing with the OP here completely. I do loads over summer but there's still so many days I just went 'oh i wish i was back at school and Doing Something'. We have some of the longest summer holidays in the world as far as I know, way more than most of europe.
    As far as getting out and do more - like what? There's no jobs going (and no I haven't just been lazy and saying that, there isn't. The only people I know who got jobs this summer were given to them by connection, not actually handing out cvs and getting one.)
    You can only meet up with your friends so much, go to the cinema or go out and then comes in the issue of money and then we're back to the fact there's no jobs so noone has money!
    Also I always hated the fact you forget everything over summer and going back to school was made even worse by that. The LC this year was a pain in the way it went on so long but i'm almost happy it did because it killed a month of nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Going into 6th year this year and last year i would have said they were to long but this year i had a job (luckly) ,more work experiencethan a job really, but i didnt realise till yesterday how little time i have to revise and Relax!
    Working 9-5 5days a week!

But I would agree that they can be long but then again if you in 3rd/6th year then there is only really two months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Could you read some books that would help you next year in English perhaps, not on the course even but ones that might be beneficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Personally, I like the long holidays. After the Leaving it felt really weird to sit around, do nothing and not study and I think I really needed a break after all of that work. I'm making the most of the time off now, there's so many things I want to do before it's over and I plan to get them all done. Can't believe how fast this summer is going and before we know it it'll be over.

I can see where people are coming from saying it's a tad long and if I had to choose between long days of school with a long summer or short days of school with a shorter summer I'd choose the latter. By the time I got home from school I was in no mood to study or do homework because I was so wrecked.

Nothing we can do about it now but to enjoy the time we have off : )

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

its really not 3 months bec we have junior and leaving certs finishing late in june,but dont think abt these pple bec you have others like 1,2,3 and 4 yrs who usually finish in may which means they have 3 months of holiday while primary school finish at the end of june,having 2 months of holiday.

also look at other countries in the eu they have shorter holidays unlike ireland which is considered one of the countries that has longer holidays

Well I aint talking about whats nice or nicer here, talking about which is more benificial and is the best use of time.
    3 months is kinda stupid, when you go back after the summer you can't even write well! Maths, especially honours is forgotten and then september is a waste of time trying to settle in and revise everything again.
    I'm not saying there should be more hours or less hours, just that learning is best in short bursts when you are your best, not with it all crammed and then a massive break after it, its like shooting yourself in the foot before a marathon! :L :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

For me, who is just out of TY, has a job, friends that are ****heads and therefore doesn't have much to do: WHEN DOES 5TH YEAR START? I MISS MY BRAIN!!!

I would much prefer to have 8 weeks and then spread the other 4 throughout the year with more midterms and stuff, just still end in May and start in August, because June is the best month. Or end at 2 o'clock or something (how amazing would that be, wasn't the senior infants timetable amazing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Completely disagree, I love the three months. Unfortunately I didn't get a job this summer, but 3 months gives me ample enough time to go on holidays abroad or down to Kerry to see the relatives, play any games I want to or read any books I want to, finish the last bit of the Applied Maths course, and most of all I could spend time writing songs for my band, improving my guitar playing, recording for my own leisure. And of course I get to see my friends alot more whom I never really see during school.

Perhaps I would prefer the German system, but I think that we have enough hours in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Practise a new skill. In my free time I'm trying to learn to juggle. It's difficult but rewarding and hella fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Riddickcule

I'm agreeing with you here OP.

Its too long, especially when you don't have a job. And for those of you who are saying get a job, its not that easy ffs.

Most sports clubs are closed during the summer aswell, which is a bummer. So yes, trim it down to 2 months, would be easier for us to get back in the habit of routine, and I'm literally dying of boredom this summer!

Advertisement