Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Months holidays, ridiculous?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The only time you have that amount of free time is when you're a student and when you're retired. The biggest chunk of your life is taken up working, let us have our holidays while we're young before we're out in the big bad working world! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

There are plenty of good things to do to enjoy urself that don't require money. Jean Calvin has a lot to answer for! His 'work ethic' is so bred into 21st century society that we even equate 'work' with self esteem issues.

Many of Humanity's greatest achievements were borne out of Leisure time...

In short:- my position = Long Holidays FTW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Lamph wrote: »
    There are plenty of good things to do to enjoy urself that don't require money. Jean Calvin has a lot to answer for! His 'work ethic' is so bred into 21st century society that we even equate 'work' with self esteem issues.

Many of Humanity's greatest achievements were borne out of Leisure time...

In short:- my position = Long Holidays FTW!!!

:p course you would! your a teacher haha

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

Liveit wrote: »
    :p course you would! your a teacher haha

:D True, true!!!
    But, everyone should have it this good!
    That's my point...

WHY do many people believe
    1. Work = moral & important
    2. Leisure = lazy & frivolous

Even the most poverty stricken parts of Irish society are better off today than the middle classes were in the 1940s.
    How many deaths due to starvation are there in 21st century Ireland?
    And yet how many people are suffering depression?
    We're all rich enough now that we shud be able to enjoy the fruits of our collective labour more.

The solution:- Long holidays for all! (-I think I need to be Taoiseach) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hear hear! If I ever vote it would definitely be for you!! regardless whether you run or not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭kippy

:D True, true!!!
    But, everyone should have it this good!
    That's my point...

WHY do many people believe
    1. Work = moral & important
    2. Leisure = lazy & frivolous

Even the most poverty stricken parts of Irish society are better off today than the middle classes were in the 1940s.
    How many deaths due to starvation are there in 21st century Ireland?
    And yet how many people are suffering depression?
    We're all rich enough now that we shud be able to enjoy the fruits of our collective labour more.

Not entirely true in fairness.
    You are in a career where you are lucky enough to have significent time off and to get significently well paid in that time off, and still have a job to go back to.
    We can't all be teachers sadly, as much as we like. Although I do agree with your concepts!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I grew up in the UK 1st level education and was in school from 9a.m til 3:40p.m every day of the week with a 15 minute break in the morning, 1h15 min break at lunch and another 15 minute break near the end of the day.
    We only got 6 weeks summer holiday as well.
    I found it quite intense, when I moved over here for secondary school and found I was only in til 3:20p.m, with a half day on Wednesdays, and 3 months summer holidays instead, felt so laid back compared to what i was used to!
    Although I much prefer the UK education system in general, After having half as long a summer holiday in the first years of my education to the 3 months i got in secondary school I'd go with no, 3 months isn't too long. :D
    Although, the practically 5 month summer holiday I'm currently in this year is a bit too long in my opinion :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I think in some respects the holidays are a bit too long (not if you did the LC or JC, I feel like I have no time left at all) and it can get boring but if you make a concious effort to do something as often as possible and make your summer as good as it can be then it doesn't seem too long at all. I used to get so bored during summer holidays, expecting so much and then always let down. Last year though me and my friends all made a concious effort to get out of the house and meet up almost every day and it was one of the best summers that I've had. We didn't really do anything productive, a lot of did just consist of sitting around in town but I'd rather waste time with friends in town then alone at home. It did get boring after a while but that just led to us being more inventive and doing things like camping and having parties. I know what with the economy the way it is that money's an issue for almost everyone, myself included but I think if you're in good company then you really can have fun with the bare minimum of cash. That said I'd love a job. =P

Anyway to get back to the topic at hand, the holidays are what you make of them. I do enjoy the three months and I find the time taken up by the exams made a massive difference to the summer, I really feel like I didn't have enough time this year. That said, I do think if they shortened the summer holidays and gave more time off during the year it would be good also. I felt so overworked this year and really felt a day off here and there really could have helped. The stress and pressure and workload of leaving cert are too much for quite a lot of people in my opinion.

Advertisement