Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive being replaced; told I must return existing hard drive

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

ttm wrote: »
    OP's problem does seem a bit strange as in the past I've had very similar problems with data on HDD's and I just asked the Dell reps if I could hang onto the old HDD untill I was sure I had all the data off it. In all cases I got the usual line of having to pay for it if it wasn't returned but there was never a problem with me keeping the drive, and in most cases I never bothered returing them. What use is a broken or potentially broken HDD to anyone?
    The engineer came around this morning. He said they let you keep the drive for a week if you need to recover data from it before collecting it.

This makes sense, and is a good policy for maintaining customer satisfaction etc.

What doesn't make sense is that in my original call I made it very clear I was concerned about data on the drive, and asked about cloning etc. However he insisted I would need to return the drive to the engineer or buy it back from them. He then asked me to speak to his manager to give feedback on their service at the end of the call. I said I was happy with the service by the individual etc but that I thought there should be some policies to handle this sort of situation and spoke again about being concerned with my data. The manager also didn't mention anything about being able to hold onto the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If it's of any use to you (and apologies for the vagueness of this, but someone might know what I'm talking about) there is a program, mentioned on a list somewhere in Computers and Technology, which lets you install from a long list of programs just by pre-ticking a set of boxes and letting the installer download and run all the EXEs. It could take some of the pain out of reinstalling.

I think cloning is pointless - just copy what you can to an external drive and send back the disk. Dell tech really doesn't give a damn what's on there, so I wouldn't be too concerned about wiping it completely.
    http://ninite.com/

Cabaal wrote: »
    So?
    Welcome to fixing computer problems where reinstalling stuff becomes a fact of life, given its research stuff how many applications can you have that are research related?
    Research and development. I have numerous programs installed which are required for both. I also have other things installed such as games. I have 150 programs installed, most of which I would need or want to restore asap. That is a lot of inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

None,

But how are the supposed to know if your just blagging a second drive.

They don't but that is the downside of having your support in Mumbai, with the money they save they can afford to send out the odd HDD. The old one is no use to them whatsoever so if you handle them sencibly and make it easy for them like saving them the cost of sending out an engineer then why wouldn't they send you a new drive if the man in Mumbai thinks thats what is required. The quality of the guys that do the onsite work isn't always great (its been an entry level job for several of the engineers I've spoken to) so you are often better off doing the work yourself. I got a call a while back from someone who had a Dell ""engineer"" onsite installing a new PC who couldn't connect a network printer.

You're 100% sure that your problem is a faulty HDD? I've had plenty of drives go faulty but for it to cause your PC to lock up but still all your data to be fine would be unusual. It's not impossible I suppose.

By cloning, if the problem is with software you're moving the problem to the new hard drive. Or if the problem isn't with the hard drive then you'll have the same problem. Then you're back to square one.

If an engineer is fitting the hard drive I'm guessing he'll have a Dell image on the drive. He won't care about your apps or data. So installing your apps and restoring your data won't take so long. If you overwrite the new HDD with your old image and it has a problem it'll be up to you to reinstall.

As to your warranty. That's an extension of your statutory rights. Your statutory rights are repair / replace / refund. If you don't like the warranty in the manual you can fall back on your statutory rights and then theres small claims court if Dell don't offer you one of those (which they are), or if you don't like what they offer. You'd need an excellent reason four court though and saying your data is confidential is not an excellent reason.
    Diagnostics indicated errors with reading and seeking on the hard drive.

I have Windows 7 installed. I bought the computer with Vista installed. Dell can only install software that you purchased from Dell, for obvious reasons, and I did not purchase Windows 7 from Dell [I got it free through ieee in fact].

• Advertisement

pwd wrote: »
    The engineer came around this morning. He said they let you keep the drive for a week if you need to recover data from it before collecting it.

And how exactly did the engineer say you were to return it?

This happened to me with an IBM thinkpad too. The harddrive died after a few months and IBM sent out a new one with a set of install disks to get me back up and running. They requested the old harddrive back too and I had the same privacy issues. When the delivery guy arrived I asked what would happen the old harddrive and he said it would just be binned so I took a hammer to it and gave it to him in bits. He didnt seem to mind and only had to check a box on his form that he got it back.

I wouldnt trust harddrive wiping software, I prefer the hammer method.
    You might be surprised how little people will take issue with things you do, when you are smashing things with a hammer in front of them :D

ttm wrote: »
    And how exactly did the engineer say you were to return it?
    Dell will arrange for it to be collected.
    [Or possibly not, if they decide the cost of a courier is more than the value of an old broken hard drive.]

Dell will arrange for it to be collected.
    [Or possibly not, if they decide the cost of a courier is more than the value of an old broken hard drive.]

That was the point I was trying to make ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The hammer method is the ONLY method I recommend for confidential data.
    Agreed. But Dell could view this as damage caused by user, and charge you via bill in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Research and development. I have numerous programs installed which are required for both. I also have other things installed such as games. I have 150 programs installed, most of which I would need or want to restore asap. That is a lot of inconvenience.

You should make a habit of regularly cloning your drive before/in case it goes so.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You should make a habit of regularly cloning your drive before/in case it goes so.
    This is true, and something I usually have done; but the most recent image I have now is of the Vista setup, just before I installed Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

i was told they return it to the manufacturer to recover parts when i asked on the phone...sounds like bs though.

bs it is not.
    Disk drives contain many mechanical and electronic components but usually only one or two have failed. Those components can be replaced by the factory and the drive re-sold, or if the drive is beyond repair its components can be salvaged for valuable precious metals such as gold.

Advertisement