Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you grow food in the front garden?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

I just read this http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2010/0731/1224275569169.html.

I only grow things in the back garden as i have some privacy there. If i had a giant gate out in the front i would grow there but for me the front garden is way to out in the open. All i have there is a basic lawn-shame theres plenty of space for vegetables but it doesnt seem to be the acceptable thing to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

For me it is not so much not acceptable, I would be worried about the veg being stolen/tampered with.

It would depend on the demograph. In the right place you could learn a lot from passer byers.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

there are some veg crops that are decorative like cavolo nero, and some runner beans and squash - see the photos I just put up in the how does your garden grow posting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless you count the six hazelnuts i got off the curly hazel last year, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be worried about contamination from car exhaust TBH. I've always heard it recommended to only eat things grown at least 50 feet from the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    In the spring we planted
    10 rhubarb crowns, 20 gooseberry bushes, 10 each of white/red/black currants..
    Have some fruit but looking forward to the next few years as they mature..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Here are photos of his garden. It looks fine. It would suit me as my back garden is tiny & the front is bigger - but I live on a busy road. Nice way to get to know the neighbours though!

Advertisement