Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coast Guard Volunteers - What is expected?

• 04-08-2010 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Just a quick bit of curiosity on my part.

I'm hoping to join the Coast Guard at some point as I think it'd be a great challenge and something really worthwhile doing.

Im curious as to how the call out system ties in with the lives of people who are already members. For example, what happens if you're away 'at the inlaws' every few weeks for the weekend, or if you're in college for an hour or two at night, or even out training with a soccer team once a week for a couple of hours?

I really want to give it my best shot should the opportunity arise but are you expected to work all aspects of your life around it so that you're available 99% of the time?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 robinb

It's a best effort approach. Nobody expects a volunteer to make 100% of the callouts, but you are expected to make all the scheduled training.

Training frequency and callout frequency is different in every unit in the country.

All I will tell you, is if you're with a busy unit - it will turn into a few sessions a week and a major part of your life, but no-one minds time off or away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

robinb wrote: »
    It's a best effort approach. Nobody expects a volunteer to make 100% of the callouts, but you are expected to make all the scheduled training.

Training frequency and callout frequency is different in every unit in the country.

All I will tell you, is if you're with a busy unit - it will turn into a few sessions a week and a major part of your life, but no-one minds time off or away.

Thanks for the info. Say if you're out playing a match or out for run, i.e. a time where you're going to be out of the loop for an hour or two. Should you be texting first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 robinb

Some units use <mod snip> to track on-call periods, but generally only if you're away for a night would people register it as unavailable.

Disclaimer: This is my company.

Advertisement