Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA fights to convert the casual fan!

• 04-08-2010 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for links or opinions of fights that will convert the casual fan to MMA?

One of my mates likes mma but is not a big fan of poor ground game, so looking for good stand up or exciting ground!

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Forrest Griffin / Stephan Bonnar 1, TUF 1 finale
    Korean Zombie / Leonard Garcia, WEC 48
    Karo Paryisean / Diego Sanchez, UFN 6 (i think)
    Paul Taylor / Marcus Davis, UFC 75
    Chris Leben / Akiyama, UFC 116
    Demian Maia / Jason Mc Donald, UFC 87 - one of the better fights which was mainly on the ground
    Diego Sanchez / Clay Guida, TUF 9 finale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Add Chuck v Wandy (UFC 79) to the list

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz Pride 33 is insano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Paul Taylor v Paul Kelly at UFC 80

Was at that, the first 30 seconds was the best start to a fight i have EVER seen, was like a Rocky film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Scott Smith vs Pete Sell
    but the real answer to the question is Ken Shamrock vs Dan Severn 2 at UFC 9..it is a 30 minute classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

TUF 3 final, Kendall Grove vs Ed Herman. An absolute cracker of a fight and one of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What converted me from a 'casual' fan to 'can't get enough' was UFC 2. Would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it. Clip below, most I have winced watching any fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi folks,

Looking for links or opinions of fights that will convert the casual fan to MMA?

One of my mates likes mma but is not a big fan of poor ground game, so looking for good stand up or exciting ground!

thanks.

Try bringing him to an Irish event before going down the UFC fanboy route.

Rumble in Rush IV is coming up soon, thats always exciting and action packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Diego Sanchez vs Clay Guida at one of TUF finales was tremendous

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Diego_Sanchez_vs_Clay_Guida_TUF_9_Finale?vid=10005354

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

sheehy83 wrote: »
    What converted me from a 'casual' fan to 'can't get enough' was UFC 2. Would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it. Clip below, most I have winced watching any fight!

If that was trying to win fans i doubt any would get into it, was terrible skill wise and there was nothing positive about it!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

UFC 110 George Sotoropilous vs Joe Stevenson brilliant grappling match

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Genki Sudo

Saku/Carlos Newton
    Shogun/Little Nog
    Gomi/Azeredo (I and II)
    Buscape/Azeredo
    Hansen/Azeredo
    Hansen/Uno

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    UFC 110 George Sotoropilous vs Joe Stevenson brilliant grappling match

That was not competitive at all. Sotoropilous dominated him from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

cowzerp wrote: »
    If that was trying to win fans i doubt any would get into it, was terrible skill wise and there was nothing positive about it!

It was AWFUL.... how can someone getting elbowed in the back of the head and kneck be good viewing... shocking stuff and thank **** it's moved on from that... jeysus that was painful to watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

cheers lads thanks for all the replies some great fights there.

if anyone has any links they could post would be great or any sites that have the vids :D

Noffles wrote: »
    It was AWFUL.... how can someone getting elbowed in the back of the head and kneck be good viewing... shocking stuff and thank **** it's moved on from that... jeysus that was painful to watch!

HAHA Ya, there was some really bad (skill and vicious) fights on that card but definitely shows how the sport has come along. The worrying thing was Weit could have killed him there but didn't seem too bothered about it crazy!

+1 on the above, you should go to a live event in Ireland. I just went to XCC in Limerick and it was way better than anything I have watched on tv.

cheers lads thanks for all the replies some great fights there.

if anyone has any links they could post would be great or any sites that have the vids :D

mmalinker.com

You have to register but its very non intrusive. Just create username and password and you are in. You can stream fights by searching event or fighter. Not HD quality or anything but fights get released very quickly after airing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

unknown13 wrote: »
    Forrest Griffin / Stephan Bonnar 1, TUF 1 finale

For me this was the fight that got me into MMA, not very technical but 2 guys smashing the hell out of each other to get the contract with the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

how has noone mentioned the fight that made Don Fry famous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Saku versus Silva 1 was a great fight

Melvin Manhouef had a great match in Cage Rage with Cyborg. Took a little while to get going but was a great slug fest

Randy versus Chuck 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

To truly understand the sport back issues of the Wrestling Observer say from August 2005 to present. He must have a solid grounding in the lessons of 2006!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Nobody mention Hughes vs Trigg II? :eek:

Might not have been the most technical fight or an epic brawl or anything but for pure buzz it's unbeatable.

Anytime you see polls on sherdog etc asking what was the fight that got you hooked on MMA, Hughes vs Trigg II is always one of the top choices. Still makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck when I watch it as Hughes gets up and runs across the cage with Trigg.

If you've ever been to a live UFC event or watched the footage on youtube of the highlight reel they play to The Who's Teenage Wasteland/Baba O'Reilly, the best bit of the clip is the footage of that fight.

Also Guida vs Sanchez is one of the best ever, Guida vs Tyson Griffin from Belfast was a belter, and the 2 fights that I've shouted the loudest at in my life were Struve vs Stonjic at 99 and Lesnar vs Carwin at 116. I'm still in pain since the Lesnar vs Carwin fight because I shouted so hard I gave myself a few ulcers at the back of my throat and they're slow to heal!

One fight i loved in the past year for a brilliant finish was Manhoef and Lawler.... Lawler was getting some of the most vicious kicks ive ever seen and looked like getting kicked out and with basically his first punch he KO's Manhoef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWKfZFlPlDQ&feature=search

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Differing styles pitched against each other would be interesting. I mean, say TKD champion versus Judo champion or similar. Or something in the more "flashy" line of MA. (note how much press Yager got recently in TUF because he looked explosive and flashy... pity he didnt have a gas tank but he could seriously have a following as he has a style with flair which attracts fans).

As an established fan, I like watching any fight between great practitioners of their arts be it stand up or on the ground but I find the GnP stuff less interesting personally.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

One fight i loved in the past year for a brilliant finish was Manhoef and Lawler.... Lawler was getting some of the most vicious kicks ive ever seen and looked like getting kicked out and with basically his first punch he KO's Manhoef

Any picture of Robbie Lawler's leg after that? I can only imagine it would be worse than Faber's.. iqn.jpg
    faber-leg-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyasuggestion

Naaastyy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Diego Sanchez vs Clay Guida at one of TUF finales was tremendous

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Diego_Sanchez_vs_Clay_Guida_TUF_9_Finale?vid=10005354
    god i just watched this for the first time after hearing so much about how great a fight it was but i was extremely dissapointed.
    :confused: what was so good about it? clay did F-all the whole way through as far as i can tell (apart from withstanding some punches, kicks and elbows from the bottom)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Most people probably won't agree, but my favourite and most memorable fight has to be Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes. How he turned the crowd in his favour, the striking clinic he put on, and Round 3 is the funniest thing I think I've ever seen in MMA..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

51RWc%2B-d8vL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i think i watched that countdown for that around ufc 100.

was there not a lot of fights left off it cause dana wasnt getting on with the fighters at the time or somethin... tito, ken shamrock and a few others?

i think i watched that countdown for that around ufc 100.

was there not a lot of fights left off it cause dana wasnt getting on with the fighters at the time or somethin... tito, ken shamrock and a few others?

I don't think fights were excluded, i think it was they weren't the winning fighter any time they were shown. I'd say it was more a falling out with the organisation then Dana in particular

meant to put in falling out with ufc and dana - u fall out with one you fall out with the other lol

Advertisement