Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC set to return to Dublin, Ireland on March 17th, O2 Arena already lined up as venu

• 04-08-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

Taken from MMABay.co.uk
    The UFC looks set to return to Dublin, Ireland on March 17th, 2011 after it emerged the promotion has first refusal on the O2 Arena in the city, one of the largest venues in the country.

The promotion staged UFC 93 at the same venue in January 2009 and it was declared a roaring success by the promotion and fans alike.

There will be no shortage of UFC fighters with Irish-American heritage lining up to compete on the card, with Marcus Davis and Forrest Griffin just two that stand out from the crowd.

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/08/03/ufc-set-to-return-to-dublin-ireland-on-march-17th-o2-arena-already-lined-up-as-venue/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

NEVER USE MMA BAY AS A SOURCE

They talk more shít than every mma site combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And also a thursday next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

unknown13 wrote: »
    NEVER USE MMA BAY AS A SOURCE

They talk more shít than every mma site combined

I know, just thought I would post it to see if anyone knew anymore about it.

And also a thursday next year

Thursday night PPV?

No way in hell is Forrest fighting on a free card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

NEVER EVER use MmaGay as a source, they're useless, and as ^^ says, it's a Thursday

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    NEVER EVER use MmaGay as a source, they're useless, and as ^^ says, it's a Thursday

Not a lot of love for MMABay I take it... :D

If Sherdog forums ban a site from being used as a source, you know that site is full of shít

Not really, the guy who runs it is a spanner.

When UFC were first in London, UFC75 i think, way before he started the site, he hung around the arena, suckin up to UFC staff, then told them his mum was ill and she loved UFC, it would make her day to meet the fighters.

They arranged for him and his ma to go backstage, he was the one wit his autograph book and camera!!!!

If Sherdog forums ban a site from being used as a source, you know that site is full of shít

Who did they interview and it was proved to be a fake? It was posted and all, maybe Nate Quarry???

:D Never knew that, not on the Sherdog forums but that is funny.

• Advertisement

When UFC were first in London, UFC75 i think, way before he started the site, he hung around the arena, suckin up to UFC staff, then told them his mum was ill and she loved UFC, it would make her day to meet the fighters.

They arranged for him and his ma to go backstage, he was the one wit his autograph book and camera!!!!

If that is true then that is low!!

Who did they interview and it was proved to be a fake? It was posted and all, maybe Nate Quarry???

It was Nate Quarry. They wrote about how Nate said he was going to destroy Anderson Silva and they started going on about it.

Realistically, would Nate Quarry have said any of that even in the pre fight if he ever fought Anderson? Absolutely not, Nate is one of the biggest Gentlemen in the sport.

If that is true then that is low!!

100% true as a guy i know won the backstage tour from the Fight Club, he could take a guest and he took a good friend of mine. They ran into the Spanner there

100% true as a guy i know won the backstage tour from the Fight Club, he could take a guest and he took a good friend of mine. They ran into the Spanner there

OMG, that is low!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Speculation based on it being Paddys day it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kainer2

Thursday in the States is usually a big TV night....and since it would be shown prime time in the States on a delay, this makes sense.

Plus "Fight Night" shows are usually shown on a Thursday out there too.

Plus if i'm going to be really cynical, that date would likely be during the 4th season of Bellator, which is also shown on a Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

rovert wrote: »
    Speculation based on it being Paddys day it seems.

indeed it seems like that.

i would welcome a fight night on a thursday for what its worth.
    those cards are as good as a main card from 2-3 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wasn't this exact same rumour and day going around last year as well for Patricks day 2010?

gimmick wrote: »
    Wasn't this exact same rumour and day going around last year as well for Patricks day 2010?

But my aunty's uncle's second cousin's father who knows someone who works at the o2 said that it is going to happen.

To answer your question yes. It'll be correct one year though...hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Sure they are planning on doing a fight night in Glasgow around February time if it is believed so doing two in quick succession over this side wouldn't be viable. IF true and I me IF it will probably be a PPV on the Saturday after or a numbered free Spike Card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Like it's as if there is come conspiracy theory against the ever reliable Irish UFC fan. Dana White isn't the guy in charge of putting on European shows, the UK guy is. The Point Depot/02 Arena is incredibly difficult to book, everything of 8000+ goes in there, they'd need to be looking to book it MONTHS and MONTHS in advance, and the UFC just can't work that far away. I don't think it's their number one priority to return to ireland, they've down 2 shows here already (belfast and dublin) but i think they recognise that its a important market with loyal fans so they do WANT to come back.

that's my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RVCA

Hilarious

Like it's as if there is come conspiracy theory against the ever reliable Irish UFC fan. Dana White isn't the guy in charge of putting on European shows, the UK guy is. The Point Depot/02 Arena is incredibly difficult to book, everything of 8000+ goes in there, they'd need to be looking to book it MONTHS and MONTHS in advance, and the UFC just can't work that far away. I don't think it's their number one priority to return to ireland, they've down 2 shows here already (belfast and dublin) but i think they recognise that its a important market with loyal fans so they do WANT to come back.

that's my opinion.

No way on earth does Marshal Zelaznik have the final say over Dana on when/where European events wil be held.

The conversation will probably go like this

DANA : Marshall, 3rd Saturday in March we're having a show in Dublin, get the ball rolling

MARSHALL : Yes Boss

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Gerard.C wrote: »
    nd u were givin out to me 4 using txt speak. hypocrite

What an Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

From an interview with Marcus Davis:

"After fighting in Boston, Davis says his aim is to fight twice more before returning to fight in Ireland in March. Known for his exciting fights that often descend into bloody brawls, Davis spoke about what else he feels he has to prove in the UFC, and the possibility of a title shot: "

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=5084&offset=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Niall0 wrote: »
    From an interview with Marcus Davis:

"After fighting in Boston, Davis says his aim is to fight twice more before returning to fight in Ireland in March. Known for his exciting fights that often descend into bloody brawls, Davis spoke about what else he feels he has to prove in the UFC, and the possibility of a title shot: "

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=5084&offset=0

St Patty would be proud!

I saw chatter about this online last night but I couldnt fine a source.

Just for record I think Davis said he would be fighting in Ireland last March. I guess the dude can only go on by what he hears from the UFC office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Judging by this interview we will deffo be getting an event early next year :) about 4.20 mins in

http://www.johnoriordan.ie/index.php/2010/07/07/ufc-might-return-at-the-start-of-2011/

This has been in the works for a while , UFC really wanted to cement UFC with Paddys day , to have every year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lads, balls to the O2!

Rumour is that they're planning to build a new arena in Derry to celebrate being City of Culture and so they can bid for stuff like the Brit Awards. Different rumours have it anything from 10,000 to 18,000 seater.

We can hope...

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Lads, balls to the O2!

Rumour is that they're planning to build a new arena in Derry to celebrate being City of Culture and so they can bid for stuff like the Brit Awards. Different rumours have it anything from 10,000 to 18,000 seater.

We can hope...

The impression I got from someone who works with UFC is that the UFC office and fighters hated Belfast for reasons ranging from the poor ticket sales to the lack of nightlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Lads, balls to the O2!

We can hope...

The o2 is a fine venue.

Dancor wrote: »
    The o2 is a fine venue.

True, but it's not 15 minutes from my house now is it?

And from a less selfish point of view, if the O2 is such a difficult arena to book, and they hated Belfast, Derry would be a nice alternative.

I didn't remember ticket sales being that bad at 72, it was my first live event. I thought that with the Odyssey being a fairly large venue and MMA being a fair bit smaller in NI at that stage, they did OK?

Just remembered another reason why they hated Belfast is that it rained non-stop. No joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Just remembered another reason why they hated Belfast is that it rained non-stop. No joke.

I fondly remember getting soaked on the way to the O2 for UFC 93.

• Advertisement

No it didnt.If it was I sure as hell wouldnt have been walking down the side of my hotel :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

siochain wrote: »

Wiki is a grear source. Its where i get all my college material from.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wiki is a grear source. Its where i get all my college material from.

Yeah considering Wiki says UFC 124 is set to have "Chuck Norris vs God" I can conclude that the site is factually accurate. Still wouldn't be as good as Silva v Sonnen though. :P

No it didnt.If it was I sure as hell wouldnt have been walking down the side of my hotel

This you on the way back to the hotel after?

batman-and-robin-wall-walk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah considering Wiki says UFC 124 is set to have "Chuck Norris vs God" I can conclude that the site is factually accurate. Still wouldn't be as good as Silva v Sonnen though. :P

Might be if God got loaded up on PED'S.

This you on the way back to the hotel after
    Close enough....minus the cape :(

Close enough....minus the cape :(

I notice you didn't say "minus the accompanying young boy in tights"... :eek:

I notice you didn't say "minus the accompanying young boy in tights"... :eek:
    I didnt say which I was :pac:...............wait thats not any better is it :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gatecrasher69er

if and when the ufc comes to ireland..how many irish fighters do yous think they will have on the undercard??

if and when the ufc comes to ireland..how many irish fighters do yous think they will have on the undercard??

One token Irishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

One, 2 tops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

And Marcus Davis will be one of those ;)

And also probably Forrest, that's if he's stopped running :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've only seen 2 sources on this so far. Can anyone actually confirm it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement