Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be a waste of time?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 3:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Computer Network Installation & Maintenance

I am 23 (Male) and have been unemployed for the last two years now and am beginning to just feel worthless and totally adrift. Not having something to get up in the morning for is the hardest and posting this at 3.30am says it all really.

I am pretty computer savvy and know my well around inside and out of them so was thinking is a career for me! I left school early at 16 before even doing my JC and worked odd jobs and in some building work but never achieved nothing.

Recently I gave the last month down in Australia catching up with friends and travelling around, I feel I could really succeed down there if I was qualified in something good. Wages are ok and there is a great quality of life and much more opportunities than here. All I really want is to get something to set me up for when I do jump ship permanently.

How good are the qualifications?; CompTIA A+ CompTIA Network+ Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) in Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment ??

I have a friend who is a retired PC maintainance guy and he made great money a while back and still does some free lance stuff as favours for people. Reformatting etc.

I am living on my own independent of my parents and get JSA €196/week. Would I have to lose all this to go back into education? I know some people get grants but I think they are only for farmers children or something.

Any ideas!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

HTTP 404 education not found.

If I were you I would go back to education. :)
    I hope it helps friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

But if you go back to education, then how will you be looking for a job? Catch 22. Go back to college-no jobseekers. Not in college-get dole. Gotta love ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My boss here is an Australian. He is certified in a load of the Microsoft stuff, including A+. He was telling me that you will not get a job in IT in Australia without A+, so that might be worth starting off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

If you have been unemployed for 2years and you go back to college, you will be entitled to back to education allowance which is 196e a week.
    Also if you are not living with parents you would apply through the grant scheme and get your fees paid, be sure to have a bill in your name from the pervious year.

You do have to be signing on and be in ireland for about a year before you start college to be entitled to this allowance, ie you cant have been travelling.

Ive been unemployed a long time now and I just got a place in uni and without the help of the allowance it probably wouldnt have this opportunity, you should defo go for it :)

Advertisement