Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNCHARTED film adaptation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ryan Reynolds would have been a better choice than charisma vaccum Wahlberg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Marky Mark should just stick to producing and serious projects, this sort of film would have suited Reynolds or Fillion far batter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

thewrap wrote:
    Mark Wahlberg told MTV that he will re-team with David O. Russell on a big screen adaptation of the video game "Uncharted."

picture.php?albumid=1458&pictureid=7891

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Fillion has proven that he can pull of this type of character. What the hell are they playing at.

Either the voice actor or Fillion would be the obvious choices

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I dunno I thought Marky-Mark was excellent in the other guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I dunno I thought Marky-Mark was excellent in the other guys.

He ruined Max Payne

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He ruined Max Payne

TBF He was excellent in the departed also.

Hes alright in small roles but as a lead hes just not likeable, he was good in Three Kings though so maybe it wont be too bad, hes just not what you'd imagine Nate to be like though, Ryan Reynold, Nathan Fillion, hell even Bradley Cooper would have been better choices.

But he isnt suitable for the role of Nathan Drake as already said Fillion would be perfect but Hollywood dont see him as a leading man for films which is a shame :(

Russell isnt a great choice as director also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/mark-wahlberg-going-treasure-hunting-uncharted-22818

I can see him delivering one liners, but still would rather have Nathan Fillion... What in the world would Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro be doing in this?

££££££££

• Advertisement

Do you think Elena and Sully will in this movie? Surely they will

I doubt they would cast Emily Rose who does Elena’s voice in the games. I have seen Jessica Biel name has been mentioned on some other websites as a possible for the role.

TBH with Marky Mark hired, I have very low expectations of this movie now. The main three voice actors could, and possibly should, have been cast to play their respective roles in the movie.

I'm disappointed as it could have been the movie Indy 4 should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

When I first heard there was going to be a movie i thought Dylan McDermott from Dark Blue (and miracle on 34th street!) would have been perfect

Mark Wahlberg....meh. Thats just killed my excitement for this movie.

Mark plays the angry little man well.

Playing the character of Drake requires someone who can be a knob, but a knob that you like and want on your side.

Zero interest in watching Markey Mark, TBQH

I doubt they would cast Emily Rose who does Elena’s voice in the games. I have seen Jessica Biel name has been mentioned on some other websites as a possible for the role.

Kristen Bell would make a good Elena

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was wondering if they were going to try and have DeNiro as Sully. It'd be an odd person to choose. Then again, Marky Mark as Drake is pretty odd too. Wonder if Pesci will play Elena?

Bruce Campbell was born to play Sully, hell he can even use his wardrobe from Burn Notice. Actually speaking of Burn notice but Jeffrey Donovan could pull off a pretty decent Drake.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a305171/russell-trust-me-on-uncharted-movie.html

David O. Russell has said that fans should "trust" him with the Uncharted movie.
    The Three Kings director told Slash Film that games are very different to movies and that it requires a narrative to embrace the viewer.
    "I'm not going to present myself as hardcore," he said. "But I played the game a bunch of times and I also read as much as I could about the game and I met the game's creator, Amy Hennig, who's really cool.
    "I started to brew together what I thought could be a really cool idea that I'd never seen in a film before... Really intense action and really intense family dynamics on a global stage.
    "To grow a game into a movie is an interesting proposition because a game is a very different experience than a movie. You guys are playing the game, and it's about playing the game. It's not about a narrative embracing you emotionally. You know what I'm saying?"
    Russell added that although he will be "respectful" of the source material his priority is to make a good film.
    "As far as I'm concerned, I'm very respectful as far as the core content and spirit of the game, but beyond that it's my job as a filmmaker to make what I think is going to be an amazing movie."
    He added: "People have to trust that and let that go, I think."
    Mark Wahlberg has been confirmed to play series protagonist Nathan Drake in the film.

He keeps mentioning 'family dynamics'. No, David, that was never a part of the Uncharted series. Just some rubbish you are trying to introduce!

I despair. This was probably one of the easiest film adaptions to make. I mean, its practically a film already, just edited it and shoot it IRL... and keep the music composer as he is excellent.

David O. Russell has said that fans should "trust" him with the Uncharted movie.
    The Three Kings director told Slash Film that games are very different to movies and that it requires a narrative to embrace the viewer.
    "I'm not going to present myself as hardcore," he said. "But I played the game a bunch of times and I also read as much as I could about the game and I met the game's creator, Amy Hennig, who's really cool.
    "I started to brew together what I thought could be a really cool idea that I'd never seen in a film before... Really intense action and really intense family dynamics on a global stage.
    "To grow a game into a movie is an interesting proposition because a game is a very different experience than a movie. You guys are playing the game, and it's about playing the game. It's not about a narrative embracing you emotionally. You know what I'm saying?"
    Russell added that although he will be "respectful" of the source material his priority is to make a good film.
    "As far as I'm concerned, I'm very respectful as far as the core content and spirit of the game, but beyond that it's my job as a filmmaker to make what I think is going to be an amazing movie."
    Mark Wahlberg has been confirmed to play series protagonist Nathan Drake in the film.

the Uncharted games DO have a narrative, its part of what makes them so enjoyable, the fact you care about the characters, Nate is one of the most likeable video game characters ever and you genuinely want things to work out, and Elena pulls off the feisty but likeable femal role. Uncharted 3 is top of my want list for this year, and its because of the storyline and what setpieces it will bring, not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

What a dumbass. Games (those with stories) are about narrative, its just that the narrative is presented to you in a different way to movies (hell, in the case of uncharted, the narrative is presented essentially the same way as a film would , in directed cutscenes with dialogue). As Otacon said, Uncharted has everything you could want in an adaption, it has great narrative, great characters and great cinematic set pieces.
    Tbh, it doesn't even matter that the guy hasn't the first clue about what made Uncharted good or even video game story telling in general, he has cast Mark Wahlberg in it, who is totally wrong for the part,so I wont be seeing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Russell keeps on going on about how the game is all about a "family of thieves" or something.

It really isn't.

I fear the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mark Wahlberg plays characters the same way all the time. This is a mistake. A big mistake at that. Wouldnt surprise me if Marky Mark had some other involvment in the set up of this movie.

Very dissapointing.

Ryan Reynolds would have made a great Nathan Drake, hes got charisma in buckets and the cocky funny thing down pat. Wahlberg is ok in stuff like the Fighter but hes not that likeable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Nathan Fillian was born to play this role....he even has the same first name ffS!! ;)

Nathan Fillion was born to play this role....he even has the same first name ffS!! ;)

Been saying this for months

Family aspect????
    THis is going to be a disaster, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hope his "family aspect" statement just means cutting down on swearing to get a lower age rating at the box office and leaving the rest alone,it's an easy game to convert to a movie.Everything is just about already there in the game so he can't fuck it up,can he?:(

zerks wrote: »
    Hope his "family aspect" statement just means cutting down on swearing to get a lower age rating at the box office and leaving the rest alone,it's an easy game to convert to a movie.Everything is just about already there in the game so he can't fuck it up,can he?:(
    "I started to brew together what I thought could be a really cool idea that I'd never seen in a film before... Really intense action and really intense family dynamics on a global stage."He added: "People have to trust that and let that go, I think." .....

Think again. He is mentioning "family aspects" appearing to be integral to the "narrative"

Also Mark Wahlberg is just not an actor that can pull off Nathan. I like Nathan Drake but Wahlberg is not likable

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

I've always thought that Wahlberg is likeable in Four Brothers, Shooter and Three Kings.

• Advertisement

edolan wrote: »
    I've always thought that Wahlberg is likeable in Four Brothers, Shooter and Three Kings.

Personally I have always found him to be a whiney, mumbling and over angry actor. Personal taste etc but I can not picture him being able to pull off the fast talking, wise cracking, adventurous and caring Drake.

That and I think that he is too short for the role, at somewhere between 5'7" and 5'8.5"
    I picture Drake as about 6 foot, in my head,especially as even North is 6'1"

Advertisement