Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden fork

Options
  • 04-08-2010 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick query and hunt for tips. I'm in the process of a first dig on a plot of compressed clay and what would seem to be the rubble of every building project ever in the history of the nation. Result is that I've ended up with another fork that has tines pointing in 4 different directions. Does anyone have any tips on straightening the prongs back into alignment or is it just a case of whack it with a hammer till it's more or less straight?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be inclined to go at it with a pick initially, to break the surface. About your fork, I think it would be better to try and bend them straight (slip them into a vice and pull straight), but I don't think it will be as strong as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yep, thats my usual approach to repairing the fork.. I was just wondering if I'd been missing some nice snazzy gardener savvy way of realigning them.
    I'll be using their sad state as an excuse to go out and buy a new fork. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Have used forks a good bit and whacking the fork against a good big rock usually works, it might not look pretty but it does the job. I am 5.11 but find most of the forks on the market too small for my height or too brittle for real heavy duty work. The pick does work but i prefer the fork especially to break the heavy clump of clay as you turn it over. The motion sometimes helps to straighten the forks too. Keep an eye out at second hand sales for some old fork heads, you could always get a handle fitted or do it yourself.

Advertisement