Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed..

• 04-08-2010 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a Netopia Router, model number 2247-62-2 EIR, provided by Eircom.

I mainly use it for gaming online - specifically MW2 on the Xbox360.

I've noticed that the NAT setting is on "strict" and have been reliably informed that this inhibits the gameplay to the point where I am at a distinct disadvantage in the game (frustrating) and it takes ages to actually find a game (even more frustrating).

I have googled the modem and have not found any websites that actually help.

I rang Eircom on three occasions in the one day.

1) I was told that the support guy could alter the NAT settings remotely and that it would be done within half hour. It wasn't.

2) I was told that the earlier support guy should not have told me that he could do that - all they can do is lower the firewall. I was referred on to the Netopia online chat support and told that in the meantime, my ping was lowered. It wasn't.

(I rang Netopia and they told me that the hardware was the ISP's responsability and that in any event they did not have the technical knowledge of that router).

3) I was told to go to the website - portforward.com - Eircom could do nothing.

(I followed the instructions on portforward... which were to input three sets of figures... which I did. I restarted the modem and still the same).

At this stage, I feel like throwing the modem off the wall and buying another, but before I do that, can ANYONE please offer assistance.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

it took me a while to figure out how to get an open nat on my router which was ages ago and i was pretty frustrated for a day or 2 before i figured it, it was a completly an internal issue with my network and router settings to get an open nat, not sure exactly how i done it but i tried everything included enabling disabling/enabling all sorts of stuff, port forwarding, DMZ's TCP ip's and all sorts of other stuff i didn't really even know about

but I eventually got it, not sure if its any help, but maybe try and asign the xbox a static ip and keep everything for that ip unprotected unrestricted in the routers settings :|

Advertisement