Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone got an ITIN for selling photos in the US?

• 04-08-2010 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

If so, could you please outline the simplest method of getting one.

I've got the form w7 but I need to get the copy of my passport notarized, who in Ireland can do this? Is it the Guards or a Peace Commissioner or something? It'd be great if someone who has been through this process could simplify it a bit for me!

Thanks!

*an ITIN is a US Individual Taxpayer Identification Number which you need in order to complete another form which allows you keep the tax on a photo sale because Ireland and the US have a tax treaty on photos.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

there is another form, i think it's called the W8BEN, that allows tax exemption without having an ITIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, it was my understanding from the below that you need an ITIN to benefit from the tax treaty, I got this from the fotolia tax centre:

YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF A COUNTRY THAT HAS A TAX TREATY WITH THE USA

If you are an individual and a resident of a country that has a tax treaty with the U.S., you would typically submit Form W-8 BEN. You may apply for an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) by completing Form SS-4 ( SS-4 Instructions ) or form W-7 to benefit from a reduced or zero withholding rate, according to your country tax treaty. The SS-4 and W-7 forms must be sent to the IRS directly, not to Fotolia.

See the list of countries and corresponding withholding rates

Please note - a W-8BEN form can be submitted without an ITIN number. An ITIN enables the contributor to claim treaty benefits to reduce or eliminate withholding on U.S. source income. An ITIN is not required for income outside of the U.S..

So there's another 30% or so that fotolia withhold on US sales, which you are entitled to with an ITIN - and it seems like you can't get that without one?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

I've got the form w7 but I need to get the copy of my passport notarized, who in Ireland can do this? Is it the Guards or a Peace Commissioner or something?

I don't know about the ITIN, but if you're looking for someone to do notary work in Dublin area, then I can recommend Bernard Rea in Donnybrook as I just had him take care of a few U.S. documents for me. His contact info is: Rea, Bernard Distillery Building, 145-151 Church Street, Dublin 7 087 2800322 01.8174970-but mostly he works out of Donnybrook.

I'm not affiliated at all with him, but found him through the US Embassy as I asked them about notary work. Seems as though this is something that only solicitors can do. Certified copy is something different which can be completed by parties other than just solicitors as far as I know.

Cheers I'm based in Galway though. Maybe it's a certified copy I need alright, any idea about those?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

Sorry-didn't see that you were in Galway. I think that just for certified copies than you can use Guards or a Peace Commissioner. Best to check though with another source as I don't know for sure. You might be able to goto your local court and get something like that taken care of then.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement