Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellfire Club

Options
  • 04-08-2010 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Myself and a few friends were thinking og camping at the hellfire club (not for satanic rituals) just a fun night at a famous hauted place and to scare the crap out of ouselfs. Is it legal to actualy camp up there or am i wasting my time. Thanks for the help:D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As to the legality, I doubt it. But more important, a favoured drinking spot of many Dubliner's if the amount of empty cans and bottles are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'm not 100% certain but isn't the hellfire club a fairly exclusive club, AFAIK there's a long waitng list for membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's only legal to camp on Coillte land in two circumstances:

1. With a licence
    2. In designated campsites (with facilites) or "wild campsites" (no facilities)

Masseys/Hellfire doesn't appear to have been designated as a wild campsite, and in any case I wouldn't advice it.

As Dyflin says it would be popular enough in the evenings for groups to go up and have a few cans and do a bit of messing around. I would be more scared of them than the location itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I went up there one night with a friend. Found a passed out junkie on the floor of one of the uppper rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭unit88

I was told about the drinkers but was unsure so i think it will be a day visit. And would anyone now the exact location thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Yes best off. Well known place for drunks and junkies to congregate of an evening so they'd be more terrifying than any ghostly ghouls I would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

unit88 wrote: »
    And would anyone now the exact location thanks for your help
    Car Park is here. Follow any of the trails leading out of the car park leading up the hill and you will get there in the end. It's a 30 minute walk up, though there is a steep direct route that takes about 15 minutes.

The building itself is here. In the satellite photos you can see the trails leading up to it.

The car park closes at 5pm sharp, so if you're looking to make a day of it, I would advise going in the morning.

Note that Stocking Lane is closed until the 10th of September, so the most direct way to get there is via Ballycullen Rd/Oldcourt Road. If you're coming from the east, you can go up Edmondstown Road, but it's a roundabout way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I used to camp up there with friends years back. We always camped off in the woods near the building rather than beside the building as we were out of sight in case any lunatics came up.
    Never had any trouble and always had a good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

unit88 wrote: »
    Is it legal to actualy camp up there or am i wasting my time. Thanks for the help:D

lol what garda is actually going to climb that steep hill all the way up at night to arrest a load of campers :rolleyes: and bring them to court for something so silly

wasnt there some one murdered up there or something read that memorial thing the last time i was there said something like taken from this world or something along those lines

also there does be illegal raves up there some times that iv known off they used to be advertised on bebo few friends have gone but iv never in my wildest dreams camp up there at night unless i had a double barrel'd shot gun beside me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was certainly never caught camping there as a lad but have no idea if it's legal. If memory serves, the area around the ruin is really open so avoid it, and camp the nearby forest. I used to hear of stolen cars being driven in the clearing when I was younger, but don't know if that is done (or possible) now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dont bring a deck of cards:pac:

Oh yeah, OP, if you've never seen the place, you may be a little disappointed with the building itself. It's nice up there though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

stovelid wrote: »
    I was certainly never caught camping there as a lad but have no idea if it's legal. If memory serves, the area around the ruin is really open so avoid it, and camp the nearby forest. I used to hear of stolen cars being driven in the clearing when I was younger, but don't know if that is done (or possible) now.

It's some quad bikes but mostly scramblers now..

copacetic wrote: »
    It's some quad bikes but mostly scramblers now..

Joyriding phased out by Quad Biking.

Celtic Tiger eh?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a few photos here if you are interested op

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

there is a few photos here if you are interested op

I doubt he still would be after seeing those pics..cans and rubbish everywhere..typical ireland really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

them pics were added 2005 all that graffiti wasnt there when i was there 2 ta 3 months back any one know what that memorial monument thing is for a few yards out from the house dates back to the late 80's early 90's i think

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Its always been a popular rave/free party spot as well:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

That place "Djouce Forest" is a wild camping place or whatever you call it -I was there the other afternoon and I was bricking it - it's very creepy and spooky - go there instead. There was loads of rubbish around but in other parts it was clean enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

1968 wrote: »
    Its always been a popular rave/free party spot as well

Yep, when I was younger I went to a couple of raves up there. Oh them were the days! Not as good a spot for raves as Devil's Glen though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement