Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird Audio Ads

• 04-08-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Dunno if anyone has ever has this issue but since the weekend these audio ads keep playing every so often on my laptop. I could be watching a movie, browsing or working in Word and off they go! Its the same ones all the time and the only thing I can do is mute the sound, they are VERY VERY annoying!!

I have worked in IT for years and have NEVER encountered this issue before. I ran a full virus scan with Avira and Spybot and neither removed it?? When they played I also checked the task manager and the processes running but could not see anything unusual?? Anyone any ideas?

Cheers,
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Did you install some adware supported software ?
    Particularly a video or audio player ?

Do you have any non-standard programs running in your status bar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I don't think so. The only thing I can remember installing is MSN messenger and I removed it I am pretty sure.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If they play from a browser window, when one happens,check you history,sorted by date today.Find the domain name and add it to the hosts file.

Will do bonzodog2! What will that do thought mate??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Same thing happening here to me just in the past few days. The virus scanner wasn't picking it up until this morning (Kaspersky Antivirus). This is what it said it was:
    http://www.securelist.com/en/descriptions/Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.edoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I can see a good few threads being started about this in the coming weeks..

I just had the same problem, and finally removed it. Its a bootkit virus.
    Read this

Cheers lads! Ran it and it found a non standard MBR!! Hope its gone now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

madmoe wrote: »
    Will do bonzodog2! What will that do thought mate??

It would map some.annoying.domain.com to the local machine address,with a line like

127.0.0.1 adserving.cpxinteractive.com

the hosts file is usually here
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

make sure you don't save it as hosts.txt, its just "hosts"

it wont stop any windows being opened, but the audio wont happen

Noticed that the feckin' thing is till there!! That MBR tool did not remove it :-(

Advertisement