Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best suited car radio for Android phones

• 04-08-2010 9:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if any of you currently use your Android device in conjunction with you car radio.

I want to use it for:

1. Bluetooth call handling
    2. Bluetooth A2DP streaming

What has your experience of it been like? Are there more glitches in android than normal phones via Bluetooth? ..and more importantly, which car radios work best with the android platform.(eg. phonebook import etc.)

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I don't know about car stereos themselves, but my Desire is connected to my Parrot Handsfree kit via Bluetooth and from there it's routed through the car's speaker system.

Few points:

- It does copy/update the contacts but just the basic name and number (although the pics seem to work if the Contact has a GMail/Chat pic - not Facebook though).

- A lot of "format not recognized" errors come up when the phone first connects and syncs but these stop after a few mins (presumably all the extra profile/contact info).

- The phone can take an age to connect to the Parrot kit (although this seems to have been fixed since I upgraded to Froyo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

I have a Sony stereo with Bluetooth connectivity. Pretty handy for music and calls. Got it 2 years ago in Halfords for about €120.

Edit - This one would be the business
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_774681_langId_-1_categoryId_212600

Also if you go to http://axaplus.ie/halfords_index.htm and print off the voucher and put in "your" policy number - make up one such as 55/21xxxxxxx you'll get 15% off instore in Halfords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

breeno wrote: »
    I have a Sony stereo with Bluetooth connectivity. Pretty handy for music and calls. Got it 2 years ago in Halfords for about €120.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_774681_langId_-1_categoryId_212600

Also if you go to http://axaplus.ie/halfords_index.htm and print off the voucher and put in "your" policy number - make up one such as 55/21xxxxxxx you'll get 15% off instore in Halfords.

Cheers Breeno,
    I'll give that headunit a serious look.
    There's good reviews of it from HTC Desire owners, so that has to be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

I have had a Sony MEX-BT2500 (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/ica-cd-tuners/mex-bt2500) for over three years, and I must say it's been absolutely brilliant. Bought it first day for the Bluetooth hands-free and auxiliary input jack, but since it's got Bluetooth audio built in it's synced up perfectly with my Samsung Galaxy Spica (Android 2.1) for calls and audio with no cables. Used it previously with an LG KU990 Viewty, and a Samsung U600, but the Spica is by far the best phone I have used with this model of car stereo.

Audio quality is excellent for MP3s and Youtube and other streaming video works perfectly, particularly if you select watch in High Quality, which is great for when your passenger* really wants to hear a song in the car, or a stand up comedy sketch.

Another great feature is the Google Navigate app which gives the directions through the car stereo!

Breeno's model seems to be an updated version of my one, so I would buy that or another Sony model. 10/10.

*Not that I'd ever use my phone to access the web when driving, Garda :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well I don't know about car stereos themselves, but my Desire is connected to my Parrot Handsfree kit via Bluetooth and from there it's routed through the car's speaker system.

Few points:

- It does copy/update the contacts but just the basic name and number (although the pics seem to work if the Contact has a GMail/Chat pic - not Facebook though).

- A lot of "format not recognized" errors come up when the phone first connects and syncs but these stop after a few mins (presumably all the extra profile/contact info).

- The phone can take an age to connect to the Parrot kit (although this seems to have been fixed since I upgraded to Froyo)
    which parrot model?
    i have a ck3100 (black green lcd) so i know i wont get pictures, but it doesnt play ring tones etc off my desire, but does my 6303
    im thinking about upgrading it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

subway wrote: »
    which parrot model?
    i have a ck3100 (black green lcd) so i know i wont get pictures, but it doesnt play ring tones etc off my desire, but does my 6303
    im thinking about upgrading it

Mki9200 - it's actually a great kit I think and the ability to connect an iPod/MP3 Player/USB stick is invaluable as I just have a 2GB key in the glovebox with all my music on it :)

Got it supplied/fitted through a fella here on Boards and he did a great job.

Oh, it won't play the ringtones set on my Desire either - it uses its own default ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

can you play music through it / hear sat nav instructions etc?
    can you pm the installers name and some details about how much you paid (if you dont mind?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

breeno wrote: »

Thanks to all who recommended the Sony.
    I got one installed today at Halfords.(MEX-BT3800U)
    It works a treat, sounds fantastic and call quality very good.
    I can even skip through tracks on my HTC Hero music app through my steering controls! :D

and thanks for the AxaPlus link Breeno!
    I filled out my "Policy Number" and got my 15% off. :D

He did ask for my Axa-plus card! I just said I hadn't received it yet!
    (I was brickin it that he'd look at my insurance disk when installing it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Apologies for the zombie thread.

I'm looking at handsfree options for my car that will work with my HTC Desire.

The parrot MKI9200 seems to be highly recommended -here

The only reason I'm hesitant is that I could get a new stereo with bluetooth built in for less than the price of a parrot, like this

What are the advantages of a parrot over a built in system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I bought an Aldi one for €60 about a month ago that works pretty flawlessly. I think some Aldi stores still have these hanging around

• Advertisement

groom wrote: »
    I bought an Aldi one for €60 about a month ago that works pretty flawlessly. I think some Aldi stores still have these hanging around

Was that a handsfree kit or a Head Unit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

A head unit. It has cd/usb/aux/sd card/bt/radio. I installed it myself. I needed to get an aerial adaptor (€3 I think) and I also got a fascia board (€5) to cover the gap left by the old stereo

groom wrote: »
    A head unit. It has cd/usb/aux/sd card/bt/radio. I installed it myself. I needed to get an aerial adaptor (€3 I think) and I also got a fascia board (€5) to cover the gap left by the old stereo

Thanks,

Will have a look for one of them at lunchtime tomorrow.

I had an Aldi one in a previous car and it was great.

Advertisement