Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trading it in?

• 04-08-2010 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

I find myself needing decent video recording a lot more( and it's something I'd like to try ) and the focal length of lenses on my 1D MKII isn't great, I've been considering trading my 1D in for something like a 50D or 7D, My two lenses get quite soft( wide open ) with my tele-converter meaning photos have to be taken at f/7 or lower and I really dislike non blurry backgrounds in sports photos.

Also the size of the 1D is an issue when I travel nothing too bad but I'd prefer something a bit more compact.

But then I feel I'd miss the built in grip, The build quality, the image quality, the weather proofing and the FPS/AF(if I do get a 50D).

Has anyone done this or have any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

there's no video on a 50d unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I find myself needing decent video recording a lot more( and it's something I'd like to try ) and the focal length of lenses on my 1D MKII isn't great, I've been considering trading my 1D in for something like a 50D or 7D, My two lenses get quite soft( wide open ) with my tele-converter meaning photos have to be taken at f/7 or lower and I really dislike non blurry backgrounds in sports photos.

Also the size of the 1D is an issue when I travel nothing too bad but I'd prefer something a bit more compact.

But then I feel I'd miss the built in grip, The build quality, the image quality, the weather proofing and the FPS/AF(if I do get a 50D).

Has anyone done this or have any comments?

The 7d is meant to be an amazing camera for video. Haven't used it myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I kinda get the feeling that you are thinking out loud with this post. :) You're stuck in a predicament where you need/want better equipment. It can be like a sickness. :) The way I see it is this. All the things you spoke of (shallow DoF, Long zoom, HQ video, focus...... etc) is easily achieved with pro gear. If purchasing this new stuff is gonna make you more money and/or happier and.... you are sure it will, then get a few grand (8 thousand) from the credit union and rock with it. On the other hand, if buying this stuff only makes you worse (sicker :)), then hold off till the gear you have pays for itself and more.

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it's my tenth wedding anniversary today and my birthday in a couple of weeks. herself asked me if there is any camera gear i wanted, budget didnt seem to be an issue (within reason). I can't think of anything :-(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The 7D is weather sealed. It also has a very good viewfinder, something you'll miss moving from a 1D to a 50D.

The 7D has been called a mini 1D and I wouldn't consider it a downgrade from the 1D MkII.

Comparing some of the specs for the 1D MkII and 7D:
    1D MkII is 8 MP, the 7D is 18.
    The 1D can shoot at 8.3 fps while the 7D hits 8 fps with considerably more buffer for JPEGs.
    7D has dual DIGIC IVs versus the single DIGIC II of the 1D.
    7D has 14 bit RAW files.
    7D has good noise performance and higher ISO sensitivity, expandable up to 12800.

Also the 1D only has USB 1.1 and firewire support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

there's no video on a 50d unfortunately

Well that's the cheaper, easier option out then :pac:
    swingking wrote: »
    The 7d is meant to be an amazing camera for video. Haven't used it myself though.

Yeah, I've seen the footage, watching videos on youtube isn't help!
    oshead wrote: »
    I kinda get the feeling that you are thinking out loud with this post. :) You're stuck in a predicament where you need/want better equipment. It can be like a sickness. :) The way I see it is this. All the things you spoke of (shallow DoF, Long zoom, HQ video, focus...... etc) is easily achieved with pro gear. If purchasing this new stuff is gonna make you more money and/or happier and.... you are sure it will, then get a few grand (8 thousand) from the credit union and rock with it. On the other hand, if buying this stuff only makes you worse (sicker :)), then hold off till the gear you have pays for itself and more.

Just my 2 cents

In an ideal world, I'd love to do that. But as it stands I have at least 3 more years in College, A pretty bad CV which isn't helping me find a part time job. I also feel that during college and for a few years after it, Photography will be taking a back seat and I'll be making nothing from it, and probably not making much of an attempt. If I got a loan it would be the 1D MKIV ( the upgrade of my camera ) but I just don't require it.
    it's my tenth wedding anniversary today and my birthday in a couple of weeks. herself asked me if there is any camera gear i wanted, budget didnt seem to be an issue (within reason). I can't think of anything :-(

Buy me a 7D and I'll give you a shiny ish 1D MKII :D
    5uspect wrote: »
    The 7D is weather sealed. It also has a very good viewfinder, something you'll miss moving from a 1D to a 50D.

The 7D has been called a mini 1D and I wouldn't consider it a downgrade from the 1D MkII.

Comparing some of the specs for the 1D MkII and 7D:
    1D MkII is 8 MP, the 7D is 18.
    The 1D can shoot at 8.3 fps while the 7D hits 8 fps with considerably more buffer for JPEGs.
    7D has dual DIGIC IVs versus the single DIGIC II of the 1D.
    7D has 14 bit RAW files.
    7D has good noise performance and higher ISO sensitivity, expandable up to 12800.

Also the 1D only has USB 1.1 and firewire support.

Thanks for that, Things like this are handy, but many of them don't affect me. I'm not really bothered about megapixels. I've printed sharp 30x20 prints from my files. I don't even know what 14bit RAW files are. It's just the 7D seems like a better camera for me, I always remember the first day I mounted the 70-200 f/2.8 on my 1D MKII It was depressing to say the least.

The lens I was happily using to capture close ish sports shots, Was no more. I've love to use my 100-300 f/4 on it and have the option of the 1.4 TC for maybe wildlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Got to admit to lusting after the 7D myself...I'm seriously considering swapping brands in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Have a 7D and I cannot fault it. Brilliant camera for photos and video.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Things like this are handy, but many of them don't affect me. I'm not really bothered about megapixels. I've printed sharp 30x20 prints from my files. I don't even know what 14bit RAW files are. It's just the 7D seems like a better camera for me, I always remember the first day I mounted the 70-200 f/2.8 on my 1D MKII It was depressing to say the least.

The lens I was happily using to capture close ish sports shots, Was no more. I've love to use my 100-300 f/4 on it and have the option of the 1.4 TC for maybe wildlife.

The extra MP do give you some extra room when cropping. Forget about the smaller sensor giving you "extra reach" its resolution that counts here.

Standard JPEGs are 8bit. That means that each colour channel has 2^8 or 256 different tones, or shades. This means that an RGB image can contain 24bit or (2^8)^3 different colours. That's nearly 16.7 million.

Older cameras had 12bit RAW files. That means 4096 different tones per colour channel. A 14 bit camera 64 times more.

The upshot of all these numbers is much greater dynamic range and colour resolution. You'll get a lot more detail in your shadows, across the mid-tones and highlights.

All this is great for dull dark old Ireland where shooting conditions are often far from ideal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

5uspect wrote: »
    The upshot of all these numbers is much greater dynamic range and colour resolution. You'll get a lot more detail in your shadows, across the mid-tones and highlights.
    i suspect the difference wouldn't be all that visible. i don't think i'd be able to tell the difference between 16 million and 68 billion colours.

• Advertisement

Indeed, you can only see about 10 million apparently, never mind what your printer and monitor can reproduce.
    The advantage comes in post processing when adjusting your RAW file into the 8bit space you want for your JPEG.

I know, I know get right on the camera.... :)

Advertisement