Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Boards.ies Pokemon Podcast idea

• 04-08-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

This is properly going to get no where, but I'll put the idea out there.

I was listening to some Podcasts and thought we could do that. My idea is that a few of us meet on MSN, Skype or in person and chat about Pokemon and a random topic every week.

We could also run competions where a listener could win a small prize like a Pokemon Gashpon or something fun like that.

We could have a news section where we keep listeners up to date on the games. Have a section on in-game play, as well as a competitive Singles, Double and Triple (for Black and White) battle ideas, tips and tricks. A Pokemon of the Show section where we highlight a random Pokemon give our advice on it's design, typing, abilities and Single, Double and (pending) Triple Battle moveset ideas.

Our random non-Pokemon topic of the Show could be something like Gardening, some TV show, the Banking Crisis, Street Fighter, Anime Conventions, our views on make up. Just something completely off Pokemon topic and suggested by the listeners. We could make it in a Host Challengle

I've no idea how to get Podcasts on iTunes and other download sites, but I'm sure Wikipedia and Google will let me know.

Is anyone else interested in running this idea with me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Let me know if you need help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sounds good! I'd be up for it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd help if I could get a mic working..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Sounds unreal! I'd listen to it!

Check out http://www.podbean.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Sounds good so it does. I'd listen/help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

Information on getting a podcast onto itunes here.

I really like the idea. There are very few Pokemon podcasts out there and not many are really good quality. Gamesradar do a Pokemon podcast but with the exception of the hostess they don't have anyone on it who are passionate about Pokemon and the podcast is quite dull as a result.

We'd have to try and publicise it as much as possible, set up Facebook, Twitter etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

I'm so glad everyone likes the idea and have been some awesome with sending me links. This is epic win.

I've signed up for Podbean, it seem nice and simple to use (I maybe cursing it in a few months though). I'm not into all that programming html stuff, and Podbean gives a free Podcast blog and hosting, so that might work well.

Twitter and Facebook page seems a great way to get feedback from listeners. This will be a Podcast for the fans, by the fans. They will be the ones listening to us!

There is still a few things that need to be addressed, first off we will need at least two presenters. I have no problem embarrassing myself online and as long as I'm not too annoying to listen to host a good chunk of episodes. Anyone else up for hosting? You don't have to host every episode, so don't worry if real life comes in the way.

Another thing we have to work on is a name for the Podcast. How about something along the lines of "Irish Pokémon Podcast", "Eire PokéCast", "Boards.ies talk about Pokémon", "Irish Loudred". I'm open to someone with a good pun name too. I sure someone can come up with a better name than me :)

I'm not a Skype user so can anyone tell me if it can support multi person calls? To the best of my knowledge MSN only supports one-on-one calls and I'd hate to lose a host/caller because of a random echo.

And if Denny M can't get a mic working we could always meet in person for the first recording and see how that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Ooh, naming fun!

Metapodcast used Harden
    PodCastform
    Irish Chatter
    Irish Hyper Voice
    Éirodactyl
    Dragonéir
    Kricketune In
    Mews News
    Signal Beam

elekid wrote: »
    Ooh, naming fun!

Metapodcast used Harden
    PodCastform
    Irish Chatter
    Irish Hyper Voice
    Éirodactyl
    Dragonéir

Kricketune In
    Mews News
    Signal Beam
    These are awesome, I really like the bolden ones! Our logo could be that Pokémon with headphone/earphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Sounds awesome. Ive done a bit of audio editing in college, not much, just a semester, but can help out with that side of things if needs be

• Advertisement

I'd be willing to host too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm not a Skype user so can anyone tell me if it can support multi person calls?.

Yes.

Got a little bored and played around with this

medapod.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

It sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help, but I'll definitely listen!

It sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help, but I'll definitely listen!
    If you can't host you can still help with submissions. We could use more ideas on movesets, Pokémon of the show and random topic of the show. It's a Podcast for the fans, by the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Um...I could think of topics xD Not much else though.

I'm thinking we should start Beta testing this idea using Skype. Is anyone up for doing a test episode during the week. My plan is to do a recording using Audacity and upload a test episode for listeners to get a taste of the show. Who's up for it? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well if needs be, I can probably come up with some sort of article on something. Fractured my wrist/hand playing football, so I have lots of free time.

Submissions are always welcome, type it on up or record it and email it to me

Damn me double posting *slaps self on wrist*, but Metapodcast's page is now online. Still missing one big thing, the Podcast itself. That's coming soon once I get others online on Skype or in person. Anyone want to suggest a day to start recording?

• Advertisement

That looks awesome. I wouldnt dream of recording my voice. Ive working in customer care in the past and absolutly HATE the sound of my own voice, its not even funny.

Something i would love to see would be like an analysis of a pokemon battle. Take a video on youtube and break it down into what a player is trying to do, what you, as a trainer would be thinking at that time, and other possible ways of counter a pokemon etc.

Example. Player one brings out Infernape, Player two brings out Swampert to counter Infernapes fire type. Player two could use water attacks or ground attacks to take out Infernape.

I think that would attract a lot of listeners as you can learn new skills and how to use moves etc.Also i dont think there is anything like that out their already

Awesome! Is there any way of doing live podcast type things? That would be pretty cool too and we could have an msn address so people could be giving us live feedback :)

Although best see how the podcast holds up first. I'm free thurdsay to record, just I only have the mic built into my laptop and I have no idea on the quality of that for recording. Also what's the best program to record with?

Audition is fine, but personally, Adobe Audition is very easy to work with a lot more options easily available. But thats just me and what we used that in college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I'd love to help, but I'm dead to the world until the 20th.

Awesome! Is there any way of doing live podcast type things? That would be pretty cool too and we could have an msn address so people could be giving us live feedback :)

Although best see how the podcast holds up first. I'm free thurdsay to record, just I only have the mic built into my laptop and I have no idea on the quality of that for recording. Also what's the best program to record with?
    I have a separate email and MSN set up for Metapodcast. I'll leave it signed in for as long as I can, so feel free to send it a message on metapodcast@hotmail.com

If Thursday is okay with you I'd like to try either recording a sample of the show or just go right ahead and record episode 1. We'll have to see how the mic on your laptop works. I'll either use my laptop mic or USB plug in mic, I'll see what works best for me.
    wobbles wrote: »
    Audition is fine, but personally, Adobe Audition is very easy to work with a lot more options easily available. But thats just me and what we used that in college
    I've downloaded a trail version so I'll see what I can do with it, failing that I could (if you are up for it) email you the recording for editing.
    That looks awesome. I wouldnt dream of recording my voice. Ive working in customer care in the past and absolutly HATE the sound of my own voice, its not even funny.
    I can't stand hearing back my own voice either, so you're not the only one out there! I have no idea how people listen to my Youtube running commentary videos!
    Something i would love to see would be like an analysis of a pokemon battle. Take a video on youtube and break it down into what a player is trying to do, what you, as a trainer would be thinking at that time, and other possible ways of counter a pokemon etc.

Example. Player one brings out Infernape, Player two brings out Swampert to counter Infernapes fire type. Player two could use water attacks or ground attacks to take out Infernape.

I think that would attract a lot of listeners as you can learn new skills and how to use moves etc.Also i dont think there is anything like that out their already
    I like that idea, we could either do Youtube vids or rate random videos on the Battle Video mode in Pokemon Platnium, HeartGold and Soul Silver
    Urizen wrote: »
    I'd love to help, but I'm dead to the world until the 20th.
    I know that feeling all to well...

As I have a post running here I wonder if I could get people to suggest a Pokémon of the Show for few episodes. It can be your favourite Pokémon, a 'mon you hate, or a random 'mon

I've downloaded a trail version so I'll see what I can do with it, failing that I could (if you are up for it) email you the recording for editing.

No problem, would enjoy it actually.

Just some tips when recording:
    1. Have a clear and concise opening and closing of the podcast.Even record it a couple of times if you want to.
    2. Stay on topic. Decide amongst yourselves what you want to talk about and stick to it. Otherwise you might accidentally put too much into one session and have nothing for the next session.
    3. Background noise is always gonna be hard to avoid, but if you close down all programs that your not using, sit as far from the pc/laptop as microphone cable allows, noise can be reduced.
    4. Dont have the mic right up to your mouth, or directly in front of your mouth, otherwise you'l get popping pees that are hard to get rid of when editing.
    5. Make a mistake?? dont worry, if its not important carry on, if it is just redo it. It can be cut out when editing later anyway.

Hope these help. They are just a few tips ive picked up from making mistakes over time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Denny M wrote: »
    Well if needs be, I can probably come up with some sort of article on something. Fractured my wrist/hand playing football, so I have lots of free time.

I thought I fixed your mic ya dope :mad:

Episode 1 recording went pretty well :) It was fun, interesting and scary :P Although there might be the noise of my laptop fan in the background :(

Just uploading the first episode to a file sharing site for Wobbles to access and edit. Also means my computer is dead to the world for another 1 and a half. It'll be worth it when it's all strung together and truely live!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I don't pop in here very often, but I'd just like to say that I'm really looking forward to hearing your podcast. Well done in advance to all involved:)

Advertisement