Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation And flooring

• 04-08-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get my attic insualted then flooring on top of this.
    Just wondering what type of money i would be paying to get someone in to do a good job its a x council 3 bed house so no mansion.
    Before you say why not do this yourself i carnt as i have asthma and the insulation sets it off, so a no goer for me.
    What the flooring all over the attic so i can pull down a ladder and walk around storing stuff up there.
    So just wondering what type of money this gonna cost.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hmm, can you walk up there freely through the rafters at the moment? It could be a truss roof and this is not something then that can be altered.

I'll assume not -

Do you know what size the ceiling joists are? Are they 5 x 2?

All things being proper, you can buy 18mm OSB board for about roughly 20 quid for an 8 x 4 sheet, 6 inch fiberglass, not sure at the moment but if its a average council house, the materials would probably set you back maybe 600 and the labour would be perhaps 400.

Im really just doing broad guess work as i dont have dimensions and havnt seen it

If you can tell me the size of the house footprint i can give you pretty exact materials cost.. If you had a pic of the attic i will be able to tell you how long it should take for the work to be done hence the price

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

mick087 wrote: »
    Im looking to get my attic insualted then flooring on top of this.
    Just wondering what type of money i would be paying to get someone in to do a good job its a x council 3 bed house so no mansion.
    Before you say why not do this yourself i carnt as i have asthma and the insulation sets it off, so a no goer for me.
    What the flooring all over the attic so i can pull down a ladder and walk around storing stuff up there.
    So just wondering what type of money this gonna cost.

I can PM you a guys number that will do a great job at a great price, use him all the time and will not be beaten on work/price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

snyper wrote: »
    Hmm, can you walk up there freely through the rafters at the moment? It could be a truss roof and this is not something then that can be altered.

I'll assume not -

Do you know what size the ceiling joists are? Are they 5 x 2?

All things being proper, you can buy 18mm OSB board for about roughly 20 quid for an 8 x 4 sheet, 6 inch fiberglass, not sure at the moment but if its a average council house, the materials would probably set you back maybe 600 and the labour would be perhaps 400.

Im really just doing broad guess work as i dont have dimensions and havnt seen it

If you can tell me the size of the house footprint i can give you pretty exact materials cost.. If you had a pic of the attic i will be able to tell you how long it should take for the work to be done hence the price

Thanks for all above.
    Too be honest im not sure of the beam size etc, You can stand up in it in the middle then it slopes off each side its a semi detached and the water tank and chimney in the middle, Lots of pipes and wires too.
    Ive just put up some fluorescent lights so i take some photos over the weekend.
    Not looking tobe able to walk all round the attic just parts were i want to store so only half will need to be floored but all needs insulation.

Advertisement