Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Being cut off

• 04-08-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I'm writing this on behalf of my girlfriend, who is hugely worried and dismayed after the following happening,
    She is a graphic designer, and has been on the dole/rent allowance for quite a while now. Her old company got on to her and said there was a possibility of dribs and drabs of work, literally a day here or there due to a maternity leave. Great! she thought,
    So she went to Dun Laoghaire office, told them, they said, that is fine, try it out, we'll suspend your payment, try it and we'll and put you on X's and O's from there.
    So, she did a couple of days work, but having gone back to the social today, they've told her she's suspended until she can be means tested.
    This means that she has no dole, no rent allowance for the foreseeable future (and hasn't for the last 2 weeks), all because she wanted to try and get a foot in back at work? So the situation looks like she has zero income for however long, all because of a few hundred euros she earned legitimately, and was thoroughly honest and upfront about. What comes across is that the people in the office gave her the incorrect information originally and now she is screwed.
    Where does she go from here?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Dunno about your area but near me there's a clinic u can go to to get some money until your dole comes through, not sure exactly how it works but think say u get 100 off the clinic then whenever your dole comes through it's deducted from that, could be wrong though, i've never had to do it just heard about it.

Might be worth going back down to the dole and tell them u need money and see if there's a clinic nearby where u can get an advance on your dole until it comes through.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Yes the above post is correct about trying the local clinic. There should be a welfare officer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

koHd wrote: »
    Yes the above post is correct about trying the local clinic. There should be a welfare officer.
    Yeah - you need to contact the community welfare officer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Hope she gets it sorted, tell her to bring a book or even a
    walkman, its Zoo down there plus a long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭LovetohateTV

Hi All,

I just wanted to ask a quick question. My girlfriend who lives (over 6 months) with me has been let go from work last week.

Is she able to get rent allowance now while she looks for new work? we are just couple. not engaged or married.

I'm working but wont be able to support the full rent by myself.

Will she be able to apply for rent allowance?

Should we pretend to be just friends living together as Ive heard if your boyfriend & girlfriend rent allowance might be harder to get!

Ive looked online for info on this but its very unclear as to what's what.

Thanks in advance.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

StopWatch wrote: »
    I'm writing this on behalf of my girlfriend, who is hugely worried and dismayed after the following happening,
    She is a graphic designer, and has been on the dole/rent allowance for quite a while now. Her old company got on to her and said there was a possibility of dribs and drabs of work, literally a day here or there due to a maternity leave. Great! she thought,
    So she went to Dun Laoghaire office, told them, they said, that is fine, try it out, we'll suspend your payment, try it and we'll and put you on X's and O's from there.
    So, she did a couple of days work, but having gone back to the social today, they've told her she's suspended until she can be means tested.
    This means that she has no .tdole, no rent allowance for the foreseeable future (and hasn't for the last 2 weeks), all because she wanted to try and get a foot in back at work? So the situation looks like she has zero income for however long, all because of a few hundred euros she earned legitimately, and was thoroughly honest and upfront about. What comes across is that the people in the office gave her the incorrect information originally and now she is screwed.
    Where does she go from here?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    tell your girlfriend to go back down to office,at reception she ask for ticket to see man called xxxx.he is a very nice person and may be able to help her out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Hi All,

I just wanted to ask a quick question. My girlfriend who lives (over 6 months) with me has been let go from work last week.

Is she able to get rent allowance now while she looks for new work? we are just couple. not engaged or married.

I'm working but wont be able to support the full rent by myself.

Will she be able to apply for rent allowance?

Should we pretend to be just friends living together as Ive heard if your boyfriend & girlfriend rent allowance might be harder to get!

Thanks in advance.[QUOTE

You will not qualify for Rent Supplement if you are in full-time employment. That is, employment for 30 hours per week or more. (In the case of couples, if one of a couple is in full time employment both are excluded from claiming Rent Supplement).

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

Penalties for false or misleading statements made to obtain a social welfare payment for you or for any other person, may result in large fines or prison for up to three years.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/social_welfare_system_in_ireland
    [/I]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Don't think "friends living together" will work with them,
    <snip> yo only get rent allowance if the other
    partner is working 30 hours or less a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

:)

Thats fraud.

Advertisement