Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a pension

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm 32 and finally getting round to starting a pension. Since I've left it a bit late, I was thinking of maxing out my tax-free contributions to my PRSA. I.e. paying 20% of my salary into it, at least temporarily. I have some savings that I can use to make up for the shortfall in the mean time. Then, in 6-12 months, I'll reduce the amount to 10%.

Just wondering if others think this would be a good strategy?

Otherwise, is it possible to kickstart a PRSA with a lump sum, say 5 - 10k. But would all of this lump sum then be eligable for tax?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

alex_b wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm 32 and finally getting round to starting a pension. Since I've left it a bit late, I was thinking of maxing out my tax-free contributions to my PRSA. I.e. paying 20% of my salary into it, at least temporarily. I have some savings that I can use to make up for the shortfall in the mean time. Then, in 6-12 months, I'll reduce the amount to 10%.

Just wondering if others think this would be a good strategy?

Otherwise, is it possible to kickstart a PRSA with a lump sum, say 5 - 10k. But would all of this lump sum then be eligable for tax?

Thanks for any advice
    Rule of thumb, is to take your age starting a pension, half it, and thats the percentage you should pay for you to have 2/3 of your final salary when you retire.

I think thats right, I'm sure I'll be corrected if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

alex_b wrote: »

In the last few days, I read somewhere that you can deposit into a PRSA (before a particular date this year) and use last year's pension tax credits/allowance.

If I find the link I'll update it here (or if anyone else here has details feel free to share)

Advertisement