Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Student Loan

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:34am

I am about to do my 4th and final year in college to get my honours degree and it is looking like I will have to take out a sizeable loan to pay both fees and rent, because I won't have a job during this year.

I'm with Bank of Ireland and my query is whether or not BoI offer a student loan that you can pay back once I start working properly? Have heard of other banks that offer this, but am unsure as to whether BoI do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

I took out a BOI Student Loan when I was in final year a few years back. At that time the BOI Trinity Branch were willing to loan me up to 30K (without a co-sign from my parents) with repayments starting when I started work. I was a medical student, so I was guaranteed a job once I finished - I'm sure that played a part. BOI were awesome to deal with. I only had my BOI a/c 12 months at the time I got the loan. I grew up with an AIB a/c and they refused me any sort of loan without my parents co-signing. Since I started working I've stuck with BOI, changed my credit cards to them and I haven't looked back.

Your best bet is to talk to the BOI student officer on your college campus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I got out a loan of a few thousand from Bank of Ireland at the start of final year (October 2008), and I was able to defer payments for a year with no extra cost ... not sure if they're still offering that though!

Strangely enough, I found Bank of Ireland to be far easier to deal with and much more likely to approve loans etc when I was a penniless student than now that I'm working and actually have a steady income and a good credit history. :confused:

Advertisement