Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Rip-Off

Options
  • 04-08-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Hi all, so I have my car insurance with Aviva.

Mini cooper 1.6

Provisional license

No accidents

Last year I paid €2,400 for it...

This year they're quoting me €3,800...

How on earth can they do that!? Doesn't seem right to me at all considering I've had no accidents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Perhaps they're worried that you've been driving for 2 years and haven't been able to pass a driving test in that time? In any case, they can charge what they like. Either do the test or shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

when i renewed with aviva they told me that premiums had gone up on average of 30% so that is why. Best advise is shop around i found AIB who are underwritten by Aviva the best especially if you have loans or a mortgage with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Try 123.ie or britton Insur donegal have found them to be better value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Trampas

Stark wrote: »
    Perhaps they're worried that you've been driving for 2 years and haven't been able to pass a driving test in that time? In any case, they can charge what they like. Either do the test or shop around.

have to agree with Stark. What is stopping you from doing your driving test?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

where does it say she has been driving two years? only one year from what I can see. She would only be starting second year...

Point is still valid though. maybe they suspect you're driving unaccompanied...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Hi all, so I have my car insurance with Aviva.

Mini cooper 1.6

Provisional license

No accidents

Last year I paid €2,400 for it...

This year they're quoting me €3,800...

How on earth can they do that!? Doesn't seem right to me at all considering I've had no accidents.

I think most people will tell you their premiums have gone up this year. My advice would be to shop around, Aviva seem to more expensive then most i found but it probably depends on what car you drive.

Also stay away from brittoninsurance, their excess policy is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Vanbis wrote: »
    I think most people will tell you their premiums have gone up this year. My advice would be to shop around, Aviva seem to more expensive then most i found but it probably depends on what car you drive.

Also stay away from brittoninsurance, their excess policy is crazy.

Aviva for me was the cheapest by a mile so its swing and roundabouts. AA was most expensive, 1800 more than Aviva, I laughed down the phone at the quote :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

I have failed my test twice, but they wouldn't know that?!

And I 've been driving for 4/5 years, was insured on a diff car, then got my own car last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's the car that dictates most of the premium there, a mini coopper is a desirable car so theft ratings are high and a learner in a 1.6 is a bit of a stretch (as far as insurance goes).

They can charge what they like really, shiop around as suggested, 123.ie were exceptional on my last renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I have failed my test twice, but they wouldn't know that?!

And I 've been driving for 4/5 years, was insured on a diff car, then got my own car last year.

They know that waiting times for the test are of the order of 2 months these days, so if you've been driving for 4/5 years without being able to pass it, then that combined with the recent upgrade to a "sportier" car would set off alarm bells for them. Have you checked what the quote would be if you had a full licence/passed Provisional Ignition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Generally, brokers and insurers offer an introductory discount off the first year's premium. Their hope is that once they've got a customer, that customer will stay with them. When renewal comes around, the customer is hit with a double whammy of the loss of their introductory discount, as well as a rate rise (most, if not all, insurers are putting rates up this year because of some brutal claims experience over the last couple of years, as well as poorly performing investments)

Shop around for your insurance quote every year is the only answer.

Advertisement