Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

charging problem, htc desire

• 04-08-2010 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Woke up this morning and my battery was 90%. It seems like it fully charged overnight, then stopped charging because it was full. Instead of keeping batt topped up it let it run down.

Is this normal? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Yeah, it'll drain down to 90 and then start charging again. It could be anywhere between 90-100 when you wake up, just pot luck really.

If it reaches 100 and drains down to say 95%, you can just unplug and plug in and it will start charging again. I usually disconnect and reconnect for a few minutes each morning so I'm at about 100% going out the door.

Apparently it's a 'feature' and helps the battery as trickle charging is bad for the battery. It's a bit of a pain, when battery life is a major issue to begin with you don't want to leave the house with 10% gone already.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Also, make sure you dont let the battery die completley. That screws up the charge amount Ive found. I plug it in around 20% and now Im getting around a day and a half (where I was barely getting 18 hours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

my battery is absolute muck as it is and im only getting about 8 hours out of it. i can do with all the % i can get.

thanks for the explanation, is this in the manual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

antodeco wrote: »
    Also, make sure you dont let the battery die completley. That screws up the charge amount Ive found. I plug it in around 20% and now Im getting around a day and a half (where I was barely getting 18 hours).
    Christ. will someone make their mind's up. I've always been told to let the battery drain down every couple of weeks or so. Maybe every two weeks. So you can get the best performance out of a freshly charged battery.
    Even on laptops I've been told to charge the battery only when you need to charge it. Never used it plugged in while the battery is fully charged.
    I understand that there are different types of batteries out there which work in different ways. But this kind of thing should be made know to the consumer before they buy.
    Like the OP, I've been left short on battery at the worst of times. If only I had of known the phone/battery worked in this way.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

They recommend you let your battery completely die about once a month and get it a fresh full cycle. Ive always believe that you should let the battery die (or close to it) to stop battery memory effect, but since charging it up with around 15-20% left, my battery definitely seems to last longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Good source of info for Li-ion batteries best-practice: Battery University (:pac:)

In particular:
    The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible.
    Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.
    The question is often asked, should the laptop be disconnected from the main when not in use? Under normal circumstances, it should not matter with lithium-ion. Once the battery is fully charged, no further charge is applied.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I asked this in another thread but think it got missed so...

Has anyone else found that the USB/Charging socket has become looser after a while? - it still works fine, but the cable now just sits in it rather than plugged in if you get me.

Advertisement