Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To blog or not to blog...

Options
  • 04-08-2010 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

Okaaaaaay, so the thread about my mind-blowing experience in early morning McDonalds got locked to the fact of the matter being I don't actually have an online blog in place (yet) for this strange, rambling essays that pepper my notebook and to me, seemed lulzy enough to regale the fine peeps of the AH Forum but I guess the mods had other ideas.

No worries- for a second there I thought I'd been smacked with the dreaded rolled up red newspaper of an infraction or a firm ticking off for drinking too many watery lattes with Jones Cola chasers (I'm a lifelong pixie stick junkie. Pray for me.) and posting whilst sugar-high.

My humble apologies and so, wishing to find a home for my madness, I've decided to pop a poll up and see which online blogger site is the best fit as there are so many of them I just cannot decide which one to go with.

For those of you who expressed concern over my mental health, I assure you I am neither drunk or high on anything more than sugar, s'hits and giggles like I usually am in rare moments of the hypomanic episodes of my just-recently-been-formally-diagnosed bipolor disorder that was blasted into attention by the roofie incident that nearly broke my brain over the last month of hospital stays and doctor trips.

I'm simply trying to make light of a bad situation, folks. Don't mind me.
    You all know of my derpy pineapple worshipping ways!

It's a strange experience and whilst I won't risk a second thread lock in one day by rambling as I do when my brain's serotonin level is on an upper, all I ask is that you help me put method to madness and help me find the perfect blog-spot for that thread about McDonalds was just a tiny taste of the sheer mayhem of the insomnia-fueled scribbles of my joke journal.

And so, a little help from like-minded but good natured (when they want to be) loons is required in finding a suitably weird-ass site to host my mentalist musings.

Hopefully this thread won't get locked and I can let you all know if I find a suitable place to blog in the not-to-distent future.

Okay, shutting up now.

On with the poll of blog sites I know of.

Any suggestions will be good. Bonus points for witty retorts.

Which blogger is best? 5 votes

Twitter (for one-liner snarky comments about Katie Price)
    0% 0 votes
    Livejournal
    40% 2 votes
    Blogspot
    0% 0 votes
    Basic crappy ass Geosh'itty microsite
    20% 1 vote
    Some sort of pod cast requiring use of a dictaphone in the vein of 2 The Ranting Gryphon
    0% 0 votes
    Dailyboot
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    0% 0 votes
    I don't care about your musings you pineapple worshipping weirdo!
    40% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

go to wordpress.com

Stop post stuff like this in Afterhours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Sorry, I have met lots of people who got stoned and believed they had the talents of Hunter S. Thompson. They didn't. All they did was rip him off and mimic the much over-hyped Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Good luck to your blog, but try being yourself and not a pretend character. The best writings are the most honest, authentic and vulnerable not this mimicry you pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Congrats on getting your head blown open. You want to write, but my advice would be not to limit yourself to Gonzo style ramblings just because you think you should due to your trip. Personally I find them tedious and all over the place (not just yours). As Waltzing Consumer said, be a bit more authentic with your writing, and you will soon find your niche. A blog would be good, and also try using the Creative Writing forum. AH is the wrong place :)

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

To blog. Blogspot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Writing a blog is like farting is space. No-one will hear it, but on the plus side, no-one will have to smell it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

A blog sounds like something that lives at the bottom of the river, and communicates through farts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

WindSock wrote: »
    Congrats on getting your head blown open. You want to write, but my advice would be not to limit yourself to Gonzo style ramblings just because you think you should due to your trip. Personally I find them tedious and all over the place (not just yours). As Waltzing Consumer said, be a bit more authentic with your writing, and you will soon find your niche. A blog would be good, and also try using the Creative Writing forum. AH is the wrong place :)

Good Luck.

I give you the delightfully punny named (I like to think so) Bipolor Express/ Kick The Puppy derp train. You can find the link as my homepage. It's sparse for now and filled largely with things you've no doubt already been privy to but since I'm currently in the process of turning the last five hot-penned actuall hardback diaries I have charting five years of my life in the puppy-kicker mood memoir that gives my blog one of it's many names, there is more to come.

As for the Hunter S Thompson/Spider Jeruselum/Gonzo-style of my musings, it's just how my brain is functioning these days and aside from the fact I was raised on a diet of MST-style pop culture as a child, it just so happens that when I write exactly as I would talk in the offline world as you would find if the furative, brief meetings at Boardsie Beers ever developed into full blown friendships, it's a happy coincidence and one that I'm more than happy to run with.

I'm now going to log off lest I embarrass myself on the internet further.
    I'm jonsing for some blue Jones so it's off to JCs I go!

I found blogspot good for the week I used it... Thinking of having a bit of a private blog going soon for my travels and will prob go back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

OP were you on here complaining about being "spiked" a while back ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Kasabian wrote: »
    OP were you on here complaining about being "spiked" a while back ?

That I was. Without wishing to go mental with self-promotion, part of the whole sordid brainfart is up on my blog under the heading "Edit for the livejournal/ Devart crowd" and thus will provide you with more info if you're intrigued/alarmed by what happened to me.

At present, I'm currently waiting to make a statement to the guards on the subject so I'll keep you all posted on any updates in that regard.

okay, seriously need to log off now as I've clocked up €6 in cybercafe fees getting the whole damn blog up in the first place now and I need to conserve my funds to buy my uncle a birthday gift.

Off to HMV and 80s classic compilations I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great, cant wait to read it. Glad you got sorted.
    Maybe we need a Pimp My Blog/Vlog thread in Cool...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement