Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life with diabetes on rte

Options
  • 04-08-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi,
    haven't seen this mentioned on the forum (could be wrong though!) but RTE aired a documentary on living with diabetes.

I thought it was interesting although going for a bit of the scare people straight mentality.

For anyone who wants to watch it online:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1077925

It's only there for a limited time and is restricted to Irish residents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Having read the programme synopsis I thought it was going to be so depressing to watch but the message the programme was putting across seemed to be "take care of your diabetes" and I definately received that.

I don't think I would have heard that message from someone who has good control, is young, fit and vibrant.

I do prefer to read about inspirational people with diabetes but maybe hearing about what could happen if I don't do as I'm suppose to serves it's purpose too?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

just watched this.

its pretty sad but it will make me more determined to look after myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Didn't watch this (yet) however I am just back from doing a lot of travelling and noticed a new trend in the US where sharps bins are been provided in restrooms over there. This allows for easy disposal of syringes after insulin injection. How do sufferers here manage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Stinicker wrote: »
    How do sufferers here manage?

We take them home and dump them in our own sharps bins. Which we then need to take to specific designated facilities to have dumped.

Better than nothing! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stinicker wrote: »
    How do sufferers here manage?

Keep using the same needle until it's not sharp anymore. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The programme appears to be about type 2 diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Vivienne had type 1 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Vivienne had type 1 as far as I remember.

That's right. There was more of a focus on t2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

They also did not say anything about low blood sugars...I only watched it as my son was getting his 4 month vaccinations and I wanted to take my mind off that.

Advertisement