Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Camera?

• 04-08-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a new camera
    I have a max of about €500
    i've been to a few shops and I get the feelin that when I discuss my budget that im been led down the garden path, anyway, what im lookin for is some independent advice.
    1. The type of camera should take different lenses
    2. Additional lenses should not cost as much if not more than the camera (if thats possible)
    3. It should be user friendly
    4. Compatible with my P.C
    5. Maybe one that I can rig my telescope to for astro photography, if thats possible
    6. Robust
    I keep hearing Nikon and Cannon has anyone any views for or against
    Thanks in advance for your speedy replys.:):):)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

€500 isn't going ot get you much TBH. You're better off looking at the second hand market.
    You want a digital SLR. Or one of those new bridge cameras with optional lenses.
    You will have a smaller choice of lenses available to you however.
    2. Additional lenses should not cost as much if not more than the camera (if thats possible)
    You get what you pay for. Cheap lenses are generally gonna be slow and not terribly sharp.
    The 50mm f1.8 is the exception to the rule. The secondhand market is going to be your best bet here.

Most SLRs take a bit of getting used to but are generally excellent for usability. It's like learning to drive.
    That could be tricky, you'll have to get a film reader and a 5jijawatt darkroom emulator. ;)
    A non-issue unless you want specific features. Some modern SLRs offer tethered shooting with full control from your PC.
    5. Maybe one that I can rig my telescope to for astro photography, if thats possible
    You can get EF and F mount adapters for Canon and Nikon respectively. You may have to modify your telescope to allow it to focus. The camera's focal plane will need to be closer to the telescope than your eye. Check online for your particular scope and mounting an SLR.
    6. Robust
    Define robust. Canon 1000D, 500D etc models have plastic bodies but are pretty tough.
    5D 7D and 1D models have metal bodies and full weather sealing. That way out of your budget tho.
    Thanks in advance for your speedy replys.

The only real difference between Nikon and Canon is ergonomics.
    Olympus, Pentax and Sony are also worth considering. They would have a smaller market share but they make excellent cameras.

EDIT: This isn't a bad option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

5uspect already said plenty.. there might be some duplication.

See comments between your questions in the quotation below.
    the GALL wrote: »
    Im looking to get a new camera
    I have a max of about €500
    i've been to a few shops and I get the feelin that when I discuss my budget that im been led down the garden path, anyway, what im lookin for is some independent advice.

They do probably work on commission to some degree, so the more you spend the more they make.. BUT, you'll find that if you go in and ask specifics, you'll get plenty of information. Thing is.. these sales people are probably hearing your budget and deciding that you're going to ask them all the questions, getting them to invest their time in trying to "make the sale".. and then you'll go buy it off the internet. (I don't think they can really be blamed for this.. so you're better off asking here.. and those salespeople are better off if you ask your general question here, and ask them specific questions about kit you are thinking about buying FROM THEM.)

dSLR, definitely. (lenses aren't interchangeable on anything else.)

The price of the lens depends on it's quality, it's light-gathering ability, it's minimum focal-distance, and it's focal length, among other things. No matter what camera you get with interchangeable lenses.. you'll be able to find lenses that are a tenner, lenses that are €10,000+, and anything you can think of in-between, depending on what you want to do and how well you want to to it.

Pretty much anything modern will have "full auto" mode where it acts just like a point & shoot camera. BUT.. if you're never planning on using anything more than full auto.. don't bother with a dSLR.. get a bridge camera with a deep zoom. There are some out there now with like 12x optical zoom from very wide angle to a nice deep telephoto. They're not as good as an SLR, but if you're not seriously into photography.. you're really not likely to notice any difference.

You'd be hard-pressed to find one that isn't compatible with both PC's running Microsoft Windows, or a Macintosh. If you're running Linux, or some really esoteric operating system like Be or Minix, then you might have problems.

If it's a decent telescope, you should be able to get an adapter to at least the very popular mounts: Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus (OM) and Konica-Minolta. This is someplace where cheaping-out is a bad idea.

6. Robust

Most are plastic bodies, but there are some good composite bodies out there, and I know that Canon, Nikon and Pentax all makes bodies that are either steel or titanium, and all three now make cameras with really good weather-seals. (not water-proof, but you can safely use them in the rain.) One thing to watch out for there.. is that if your LENSES aren't also weather-sealed.. you'll want a slicker for them. ;)

Thanks in advance for your speedy replys.:):):)

It would be difficult for anyone who actually knows anything about cameras to really have anything "against" Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus or Konica-Minolta, as they all have a very long history of making good cameras. Some people don't like the likes of Sony, Panasonic and a few other more-recent additions to the market, mainly because they aren't "camera companies" (I tend to be one of them.)

The most important things with a camera are if it has the features that you want, and even more so, that it feels "right" in your hands. If the ergonomics don't work for you, you're not going to enjoy using it, and you're probably going to miss shots.

There are camera shops that carry both new & used kit in-stock.. you might go look for some used cameras within your price range (don't forget to include the lens) and get a few in your hands and see how they feel. If the controls appear to be where you want them to be to use them..and not "in the way", then it's a good fit.
    Don't forget that the lens that's on the camera can have a bit to do with the feel as well. Different lenses will have their zoom & focus rings in different locations down the barrel of the lens.. and a well-designed lens will put the two of them in a spot where you can easily reach both of them by "twiddling" your fingers a little bit from the spot where you end up holding the lens. If you have to pull the camera away from your face and look at the barrel of the lens to find the focus & zoom rings.. that's a lens to avoid.

---

You're at a considerable disadvantage to many of us on here.. as your knowledge of what controls are going to be on the camera, what those controls do, and how often you're likely to use them, is likely deficient. (Some of the questions you asked seem to indicate that you're not an experienced shooter, used to the intricacies of an SLR.) It's difficult to really gauge how suited a tool is to the job.. if you've not done the job for a while.

If you quickly decide on a Canon, but then after getting 5 lenses, a flash, and a pile of filters.. you pick up a Pentax or a Nikon & decide the Canon just feels awful in your hands... you've got a big investment to dispose of in order to get into the new "better feeling" setup.

If you know people who have some different cameras who'll take you shooting using their gear, that might give you a better feel for things... go on an all-day shoot with 1/2 dozen cameras and take the same shots on each one (making sure to vary the order you use each camera in) and that should give you a good idea for the feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 annabie

I own a Canon 1000D. I'm new to photography, so I haven't invest much money on my camera.

Advertisement