Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

1st CamperVan Purchase Advice

• 04-08-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am interested in buying a 1999 camper. I just have a couple of quick questions that somebody hopefully will be able to help ne with.
    1) The RSA Roadworthiness Testing of Motor Caravans. Is this required now? Is it every year it is due? Should I insist on this being carried out before purchasing ?
    2) This camper has over 110,000 KM done. Is this excessive for a camper of its age (11 years)

Thanks for the advice
    Bellucio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

My camper is 1998 with 150,000 km on the clock and its going better now than when I bought it 5 years ago. I believe that they run better when driven frequently and are not standing around for long periods, thats been my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

Cheers Corkbuoy. That sounds good...My intention/hope is to use it at least every fortnight from April to Sept/October.:D
    Take it out for a couple of spins doing the winter just to keep her ticking over..
    Have you had any experience of the RSA test yet ?? Is it actually required as of now ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

from what i know the test is still in the consultation stage but looks like it is comeing,if i was to buy a van of the age i would expect it to have a DOE done,their is loads of good stuff in the stickies on here i found very helpful when i was starting off, best of luck with the purchase and happy camping ;)

Thanks Killalanerr...I will have a search through the stickies when I get home...Have done too much surfing in work today!!
    I think your right about the DOE/RSA test all right.. Will request that the current owner does it to ease my mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi bellucio,
    It may be a good idea to get someone in the trade to give it a full check out.
    Habitation check,appliance check,damp test and mechanical check.
    This will cost around 100-150 euro but could save you lots more than that if things start to go wrong.
    Maybe Aiden M-M on here will reccommend someone for you or you could try www.munsterleisureservices.com

Best of look with it and Happy Camping.

kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

someone call me? haha .
    What make/model is it?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    someone call me? haha .
    What make/model is it?
    PM sent

Hi All
    Thanks for all the advice, but it looks like it is sold....I will have to be a bit quicker out of the blocks next time I think....
    ah well back to hunting:(

:D:D:D:D:D
    Awaiting confirmation that the DOE is organised and to be complete. (its a 98 camper)
    Now my next question is...What happens next ?
    Once the DOE is confirmed to be OK, we plan to meet the seller in a few days and finalise the deal. What do I need from him to change ownership ? Is it just a change of ownership form? how about insurance ? Is dolmen the only insurance company for campers ? is the price generally around EUR300 for any other companies also ?
    I presume that this would need to be sorted before collecting the camper ? Open insurance on the car wont cover a camper ...or would it ??
    Sorry about possible silly questions but this is my first private deal for any vehicle so not sure of the general procedures :o
    Any other advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Not sure what you are looking for but I am just about to but my 2000 Euramobil 515s up for sale.

Bought in Germany 3 1/2 years ago.

If you are interested let me know I can pm you further details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

bellucio wrote: »
    Awaiting confirmation that the DOE is organised and to be complete. (its a 98 camper)
    Once the DOE is confirmed to be OK, we plan to meet the seller in a few days and finalise the deal. What do I need from him to change ownership ? Is it just a change of ownership form? how about insurance ? Is dolmen the only insurance company for campers ? is the price generally around EUR300 for any other companies also ?
    I presume that this would need to be sorted before collecting the camper ? Open insurance on the car wont cover a camper ...or would it ??
    Sorry about possible silly questions but this is my first private deal for any vehicle so not sure of the general procedures :o
    Assume it the same as a car re change of ownership just send in the paper work.

For insurance Stuarts do it as well but both cost much the same.

Get some photos of inside and out side, contact dolments and you'll be fine.
    They will want you ro get a engineers report as the doe doesn't cover habitation gas........

@650Ginge.
    Thanks for the offer, but we have gone sale agreed on another camper. Just waiting on result of DOE.

@spaceHopper
    Contacted Dolmen and they seemed good so will probably go with them.
    I was checking things out, and it seems the changeover is the easiest part...:D
    Hopefully all will go OK and this time next week we will be proud owners of a new camper:D
    Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Good luck with the purchase. It is a great way to get around, the biggest annoyance is that everyone thinks it very cheap, but it sure aint.

But having your own shower and bed clothes on your own bed anywhere you go is FAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hi, we're looking at the moment and have a few in mind for our first purchase as well, so this thread is making interesting reading.

Does anyone know anyone/ anywhere that does habitation checks in the Dublin area?

I had assumed the engineers report was the mechanicals only, as I'd read previously that a SIMI garage should be able to do it? And would a DOE do the same job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

bellucio wrote: »

glad you found a van to suit,hope you enjoy it,and dont forget to give us a wave as you pass in your new van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Macy0161 wrote: »

Does anyone know anyone/ anywhere that does habitation checks in the Dublin area?

I had assumed the engineers report was the mechanicals only, as I'd read previously that a SIMI garage should be able to do it? And would a DOE do the same job?

Don't know of anyone in Dublin tbh ... We do all our own work .

The SIMI garage is as you thought , just the "oily bits"!:D

glad you found a van to suit,hope you enjoy it,and dont forget to give us a wave as you pass in your new van

Cheers and don t worry there will be waves for every camper we meet...
    Have almost being doing it in the car for the last two years while looking around for a camper:D
    All going well, :cool: will be picking it up over the weekend...Hopefully head off then some time next week for a few days up the west..No ideas where yet, but sure isn;t that the fun of it all !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

Hi Guys,

I'm about to make an offer on a camper today, agreed a price just took the last 48hrs mulling it over and I've come to the conclusion...go for it :-)

Given its a large amount of money and from reading this thread I figured it would make sense to get it checked out before handing over the cash, anyone know of a place offering such a service in the Galway/Sligo region?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Hi Bellucio,

I imported my camper, 1986 Bedford, from the U.K. Went into Dolmans office in Dublin to insure it, they mentioned an engineers report, which I said I didn't have, so I produced the U.K. M.O.T. cert. and they accepted that.
    Once you have a D.O.E.cert. it might be worth trying my way before going to any more expense.

Just a thought.

Advertisement