Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coping with Migraines

Options
  • 04-08-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was diagnosed with status migranus back in March. Bascially got a headache one day and then it lasted going from weak to strong for about 6 weeks. Got steroid treatment and it went away and was put on two types of medication.

While on the meds I got some migraines but not as bad as previously. According to the Consultant the cycle needs to wind down and I may not get these migraines again (that's the hope). Have been on Amptytriptiline (or however you spell it) for the past 3 months and it seems to work, just take it at night. I have had migraines while on this. One about two weeks ago which was terrible, bad taste in my mouth up to two days before, aura and then went numb down one side which was quite scary etc. I'm sure suffers know all about this.

Why I am posting is that I am coming off the medication in about 2-3 weeks and obviously would like to stay off it so I am wondering how do people cope with their migraines? I know you should avoid triggers etc but I don't know it I have a trigger as I can't seem to find a pattern and when I get them they seem to go on a cycle of a week, like the migraine will occur on a thursday, then again the next thursday. I do think I might be one of those people that is affected by pressure, like when the weather changes etc.

Anyway, if there are any natural rememdies/routines that people could recommend that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hey, mine aren't as long as yours but the surrounding story is familiar (aura, numb face). I got abortive tablets from my consultant that i keep with me always, but most of the avoidance comes down to management. I have a few triggers like tiredness, hunger, dark chocolate, and dehydration, but it took me some time to notice the pattern, particularly when they aren't frequent. You should record each episode, making notes on your diet, state of mind, previous nights sleep, level of activity etc. You may notice some things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dudeschmood

Hiya, ive been suffering with migraines now for 12 years and im on my last chance of treating them on topamax (anti seizure meds) not doing the job for me now so thats me screwed, only way is for me to handle them now when i get them or try prevent them, so like that ive noticed mine is sleep related. Too much or too little sleep and ill probably get one. Of all the drugs ive been given over the years for when i have an attack i find migralieve which is available over the counter the best for nausea and i just sleep!! for a while i took a herbal thing called feverfew which is meant ta be good for lowering stress levels and stuff, and i also wear a magnetic copper bracelet . I'll try anything!! Oh im doing a course of accupuncture at the minute too (dont believe in it at all but again ill try ANYTHING at this stage) but it has got very good success rates for migraine so if u keep an open mind try some of these things!! stress is meant ta be related to it so if ya can lower your stress levels happy days!

Advertisement