Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

springer gun dog whistle

Options
  • 04-08-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hello every1,

i already have a working springer (not the steadiest tho) on a 210 whistle. i have a new puppy coming in 3 weeks.

when i start to introduce the new puppy to the whistle should it be on the same whistle (210) as the other springer?

apologies for the possibly dumb question:confused: first time with two dogs!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LetFly

To keep things simple for yourself I would go with one whistle for both dogs. If one of the dogs was getting himself into a dangerous situation and you needed to stop him quick, you will most definitely pick up the 'wrong' whistle to stop him. It would be better to stop BOTH dogs quickly with one whistle. Thats just my take on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 McGuigan

thanks for the advice letfly. i'm still a few months away from whilst training but better being ready come the time. thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 smc001

one whistle can work both, be clear in letting the dog know which one is required, eg on a blind retrieve stop them and indicate to the dog required to cast of and if necessary reinforce a stop command on the other with your hand or voice, they pick it up surprisingly quickly, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

+1 as per letfly and smc001, my Uncle had four springers at one stage , he used one whistle for all and trained them by name to stay in some kind of control, he would give the command with the individual name and after some hard training the dogs would always respond well indivdually, this only worked at close range where they could all here the names being called, at greater distances when he blew the whistle to hup or recall they all came back together as a unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭lamper35

best of luck with ur training i have a 10 week old springer myself all is going well was a bit worried about fireworks and bangers this time of year so took a bit of advice and brought him in which i think was well worth it.Trying too teach him too swim now well i bring him too the water for some shallow retrieves..I think he tried too tell me the waters too cold by the look on his face:D wander if ill have too leave the water training till next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 McGuigan

thanks for the very informative replies. much appreciated.

and lamper: my pup is exactly the same, hes now 18 weeks old. he has been in the water and loved it, but this past 2 weeks or so he hasn't been keen. so im not going to push him.

ive started introducing the pup to the whistle and he is responding well (on his own). but when the two dogs are out together the pup seems to spend a lot of his time staying close to me, whereas the old dog is hunting and quartering like hes on speed. so when the older dog is hunting and the pup is close im wary of using the whistle. when i do he tilts his head as if to 'why you callin me in, im already here!

another question: do you guys take the bead out of the acme whistles??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭lamper35

mcguigan
    If u call the dogs name first then give commands on the whistle when u have the pup with u.This will eventually let the pup know who the commands are for.

Advertisement