Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on the gateway student village

Options
  • 04-08-2010 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

ive applied for accommodation in the gateway student village im jus wondering what its like? is it far away from dcu campus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ILoveGreen

Are you a first year? If so, living in Larkfield (dcu res) would be the best option so you could get to know everyone.

Shanowen Square and Shanowen Hall are just across the road from the Helix, comfortable rooms, all ensuite and there's generally a good atmosphere about the place.

Gateway is a bit further away from dcu, it's in Ballymun itself. In the apts that i have seen in there, you share bathrooms and the wireless internet was a bit dodge for some people (they could only get reception in the hall of their apt), but that was a year ago, so maybe its fixed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kilkennydan

Hey! im the same n not to sure where to live.
    I have only applied to gateway though, my sister has lived there for two years she loved it so i think i am goin to go there too.

she said that it is alot nicer then campus n shanowen n more comfortable!!!
    presume the wireless is bac workin coz she never complained about it.

Roll on Gateway 2010....whoop!!!:cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Lived there 08/09 college term. Internet was dodge, but otherwise it was fine. New management since then anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 sarahelizabeth

ive applied for on campus 2 so im hoping if i get my course choice i wil get on campus but i jus want to hav a second option just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 sarahelizabeth

wat course hav you applied for kilkenny dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Yukina

Gateway apartments are quite spacious, they're generally 3 bed or 5 bed apartments. The management has changed since i was there but I always found it a nice place to live.
    The only downside really is they're location, You are neighbouring the flats in ballymun, which i know for some can be a bit intimidating, it's also further than campus or shanowen, which is fine until you're walking home from an event on campus rather drunk in a pair of heels far to high for ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

The new management are indeed friendly. I was having internet issues and within three days they had it sorted, sending up a technician.

However, Despite paying 18 quid (Weekly? Monthly? I can't remember. I suspect weekly) for utilities, having to pay an extra €4.50 a week for using washing-machines is a bit much. Also, the internet connection seems to randomly time out on arbitrary websites. Anything from google searches to Amazon pages just stop working for hours, but only very specific pages on sites. It's very odd.

EDIT
    Oh, and the 'study' desks and chairs are an utter joke. The desks are tiny and the chairs are wonky, cheap swivelly chairs that WILL give you a bad back after about 15 minutes. I do most of my work in the Kitchen, but then I have to put up with my roommate watching every soap opera ever made.

Right now, for instance, parts of the Three.ie site are timing out (webtext) as is Reddit.com, Engadget.com, woot.com and many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

...pretty sure the occasional internet problem is normal.
    Sounds like they just unreliable internet on the back of that crap filter.

Complain to management not boards, them move out if you can.

And now, the AIB site isn't working. Have confirmed that it is an issue with DNS, am now using OpenDNS and everything is running smoothly, so if anybody else is experiencing issues, try that.

Am hoping to move out fairly soon! Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 John in Gateway

Hi Guys,
    John from Gateway here. We have no problem sorting anything for you anything that isn't working. If you need a new desk and/or chair (or whatever it is) let us know (there is a 24/7 caretaker) and then we can sort it out for you:)
    And the internet should also be sorted - again let us know if you have any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Hey! im the same n not to sure where to live.
    I have only applied to gateway though, my sister has lived there for two years she loved it so i think i am goin to go there too.

she said that it is alot nicer then campus n shanowen n more comfortable!!!
    presume the wireless is bac workin coz she never complained about it.

Roll on Gateway 2010....whoop!!!:cool::pac:

The only thing that Gateway has that's better than Campus are the couches. Other than that, it comes nowhere close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vital_parsley

How much is the cost to be paid weekly or monthly for gateway student village .
    Also how easy is it to get a bus service from gateway to DIT and is it expensive for everyday commute ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vital_parsley

Mr.S wrote: »
    There are regular busses from outside gateway to the city centre, depending on which DIT campus it'l take you about 30-60mins on a regular day.

it'll be €20 a week for a Dublin Bus ticket.

hmm....€20 a week that's arnd €80 a month and €960 an year..if its just one way for return journey another €1000 so around €2000 in a year on commuting...that's expensive....how much would it cost me if I buy a bicycle, can anyone suggest places to live near DIT during course time which are cheap and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deebyrne

My fourth year in college and have to say i have never experienced a worse place a student could stay, Our apartment have had numerous problems throughout the year and the managers <snip> have been nothing but obnoxious, ignore all call and texts regarding any issues we have had. Gate locks at 10pm to ensure nobody else bar one person can get it, leaving you to use a turn style, however if you come up with a suitcase or large bag after 10 you will seriously struggle to get into your apartment. Cant stress how poorly I was treated by <snip> and how ignorant they are. I would avoid this place at all costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

deebyrne wrote: »
    My fourth year in college and have to say i have never experienced a worse place a student could stay, Our apartment have had numerous problems throughout the year and the managers <snip> have been nothing but obnoxious, ignore all call and texts regarding any issues we have had. Gate locks at 10pm to ensure nobody else bar one person can get it, leaving you to use a turn style, however if you come up with a suitcase or large bag after 10 you will seriously struggle to get into your apartment. Cant stress how poorly I was treated by <snip> and how ignorant they are. I would avoid this place at all costs

Post edited to remove names.

deebyrne, I've already edited your post on another thread naming these managers and asked you not to do it again. Any further posting of names will result in infractions. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 elgeraldo

Hey could be heading to dit in september, would gateway be suitable for dit aungier st students. How long is the bus journey and how much per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AGoodison

I lived there for my three out of four years of college. The first two were fine the management were grand. The third year was hell. The place got booked out for the first time, this resulted in the management getting too big for their boots and ignoring simple requests such as putting up curtains/blinds. They limited the Internet to 3gb a day pp. They have now also installed Pinergy. I'd stay well clear of here, go shanowen, dcu campus if you can get college Park or rent a house. Their prices have gone up ridiculously high. When I first went there in first year it was 4,800 including bills now it's over 6000 and you've to look after your own electricity and be very limited with the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gateway Student Village

Hi All, Gateway Student Village here, if you have any questions we will try our best to answer.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi Gateway Student Village. The last time you posted on Boards you were advised to contact the guys in the office at hello@boards.ie so that your account could be verified. It appears that you have not contacted them, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have done so. If you post again before your account has been verified there is the possibility that it will be sitebanned until the office can verify it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement