Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck fat

Options
  • 04-08-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Where would I be able to buy some? I'm trying to make duck confit, so I need a pretty large amount. I tried Fallon & Byrne, but they didn't have any. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Are you going to be roasting the duck to make this confit? When roasted, duck throws off a huge amount of fat. I recently did a whole duck and spilled off almost a full pint of fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

agree with little alex. you can get it in both dunnes and tescos

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

Get what in both Dunnes and Tesco? A whole duck?

I wasn't looking to roast a duck. Just confit and attached thighs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

You can get duck & goose fat in tubs from any Tesco or Dunnes I believe.
    Great for getting potatoes crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

There seem to be two ways of making confit of duck: poaching in duck fat or roasting and basting in its own fat. Which way were you going to do it?

My thinking was that if you were going to roast it, you could baste the thighs in the fat that will flow out during the roasting and you wouldn't need to buy a tub of fat.

Even if you want to poach it, you could buy a whole duck, remove the thighs for the confit and roast the main body. After doing so you will have two breasts and a huge supply of duck fat.

A whole duck costs a tenner. If you buy two thighs and a tub of fat (which will be way smaller than the amount you collect after roasting) I don't think you'll get them for less than that anyway.

Hope that made sense! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

mmille24 wrote: »
    Where would I be able to buy some? I'm trying to make duck confit, so I need a pretty large amount. I tried Fallon & Byrne, but they didn't have any. Cheers.

I'm not trying to discourage you but if you are able to buy canned duck confit then I suggest that you do so rather than making your own.
    It's a very long and messy process that will have your house smelling of duck fat for several days afterwards. As an excercise in cooking I suppose it's worth it to learn but if the goal is to just produce duck confit for eating then any pre-prepared version will be a lot easier.

I don't live in Ireland so can't say how easy it is to find duck confit in supermarkets.

You can get duck & goose fat in tubs from any Tesco or Dunnes I believe.
    Great for getting potatoes crispy

I was in Dunnes and I couldn't find it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong section (oils). What section can you find these items in?

There seem to be two ways of making confit of duck: poaching in duck fat or roasting and basting in its own fat. Which way were you going to do it?

My thinking was that if you were going to roast it, you could baste the thighs in the fat that will flow out during the roasting and you wouldn't need to buy a tub of fat.

Even if you want to poach it, you could buy a whole duck, remove the thighs for the confit and roast the main body. After doing so you will have two breasts and a huge supply of duck fat.

A whole duck costs a tenner. If you buy two thighs and a tub of fat (which will be way smaller than the amount you collect after roasting) I don't think you'll get them for less than that anyway.

Hope that made sense! :)

I was going to poach it, but even after getting the fat from the whole duck, I won't have enough. I want to do about 8-10 legs.

Ponster wrote: »
    I'm not trying to discourage you but if you are able to buy canned duck confit then I suggest that you do so rather than making your own.
    It's a very long and messy process that will have your house smelling of duck fat for several days afterwards. As an excercise in cooking I suppose it's worth it to learn but if the goal is to just produce duck confit for eating then any pre-prepared version will be a lot easier.

I don't live in Ireland so can't say how easy it is to find duck confit in supermarkets.

I've made it before, and think it is very much worth the effort. When I was home, I used to buy Dartagnan confit duck, and found my legs were better and a LOT cheaper.

House smelling of duck fat? Mmmmmm. I hope so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I used to buy Dartagnan confit duck, and found my legs were better and a LOT cheaper.

Sometimes I feel I'm spoilt by living in France :)

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel I'm spoilt by living in France :)

You are. I'd kill someone to live in France or Italy for the food alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I was in Dunnes and I couldn't find it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong section (oils). What section can you find these items in?

You'd think! But no, I picked it up from the meat & poultry section, it was on a rack near duck, quail products etc

Advertisement