Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference in appearance of grass

Options
  • 04-08-2010 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Hi - I recently seeded a lawn (approx 5-6 weeks ago). It grew rather nicely with the warm & wet weather and any patches, I have recently covered with extra seed.

However there is a noticable difference in the colour / appearance of the grass over the areas where I laid land drains. Is there anything I can do about this, or will the difference be less noticable when I cut the grass?

I've outlined the affected areas in red;

l_4d9b2332894346879d3107a112c0da89.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

In my parent's house we dug channels into which we laid pipes for drainage and 6+ years on you'd still notice them when looking out an upstairs window.

When you see aerial archaeology on TV they usually find things like old walls, drainage ditches etc. by the varying colour of the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lifesapitch

Did you use a different material to fill in over the drains, ie sand instead of soil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Did you use a different material to fill in over the drains, ie sand instead of soil?

No - the same soil throughout the garden. The drainage was really poor as there is a solid layer of hardcore 1-2ft under the entire garden, which means the drains couldn't be laid as low as I would have liked them.

As a result, the depth of soil over the drains is only a few inches in places - I have a feeling that might be the problem, but any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lifesapitch

If there isn't much soil over the drain lines then you're right. Without enough space for the roots to grow into, the grass over the lines will always look a bit poorer. Shallow roots can't access as much water or nutrients and this leads to a more yellow looking plant.
    I have seen this with drain lines on alot of pitches and golf courses mainly during dry weather. The answer when its dry is to apply a wetting agent and maybe a light feed but with the weather lately i can't see this being your problem!
    Sorry i can't help more

Advertisement