Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Permits

Options
  • 04-08-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

What's the deal there?

What's the process in getting them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    What's the deal there?

What's the process in getting them?

Full info here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Download the application from www.galwaycity.ie

Send it in with copies of the vehicle VRC (showing the car registered at the address), the insurance cert (showing the car to be insured at the address), and a copy of a utility bill in your name or a note from your landlord (to show you resident at the address).

Send in a cheque for the cost of the disc (it used to be around €10, but it may have increased).

If you can get your hands on a disc previously issued at the address, send that in too.

It can take a little bit of time to get the application accepted and processed, but my experience has been that once you have the forms in order, then the people who look after it tend to be efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

You have to get the Statutory Declaration that you are resident witnessed by a peace commissioner too, there are a list of them with the form, and it doesn't cost anything to do - they are usually estate agents/solicitors.

If there's a bit of a delay receiving it, just give them a call, and tell them you are wasting money on the parking meters, generally they'll speed it up a bit if it's delayed in that case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You have to get the Statutory Declaration that you are resident witnessed by a peace commissioner too, there are a list of them with the form, and it doesn't cost anything to do - they are usually estate agents/solicitors...

Which one(s) don't charge anything to witness a signature? I was charged a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Fey! wrote: »
    Download the application from www.galwaycity.ie

Send it in with copies of the vehicle VRC (showing the car registered at the address), the insurance cert (showing the car to be insured at the address), and a copy of a utility bill in your name or a note from your landlord (to show you resident at the address).

Send in a cheque for the cost of the disc (it used to be around €10, but it may have increased).

If you can get your hands on a disc previously issued at the address, send that in too.

It can take a little bit of time to get the application accepted and processed, but my experience has been that once you have the forms in order, then the people who look after it tend to be efficient.

The car is registered to my family home in Cork,i was hoping to rent in the city and for one place i've seen i'd need a parking permit.

• Advertisement

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    The car is registered to my family home in Cork,i was hoping to rent in the city and for one place i've seen i'd need a parking permit.

You'll need to change the registered address to your rental accommodation.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Which one(s) don't charge anything to witness a signature? I was charged a tenner.

I went to an auctioneer in Woodquay - can't remember his name, but he didn't charge me anything, maybe I look poorer than you!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Balls.

Maybe it's just better to rent somewhere with parking so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Peace Commissioner.

Certain documents require a Commissioner for Oaths or Practising Solicitor, in which case you'll usually be charged €10.

Robbo wrote: »
    Peace Commissioner.

Certain documents require a Commissioner for Oaths or Practising Solicitor, in which case you'll usually be charged €10.

OT - but which would you need to notarize a copy of a passport for submission to the US IRS?

• Advertisement

I went to an auctioneer in Woodquay - can't remember his name, but he didn't charge me anything, maybe I look poorer than you!?

Probably Heaslips Auctioneers; they're Maxwell & Heaslip on Francis Street now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Probably Heaslips Auctioneers; they're Maxwell & Heaslip on Francis Street now.
    Danno Heaslip is a PC. I think Terry Cunningham the auctioneer in Woodquay is as well.

The crap for getting parking permits is ridiculous, its the same story in Cork. I'm not too bad as we have one parking space in front of the house which I can use as the others in the house drive to work but it should not be so hard. Even with their cars registered to the house they never bothered getting permits due to all the work involved.

Like the op (but the other way around) I want to keep my car registered to my family home in Galway. I changed nothing over to my rented accommodation. Its much better having everything sent to home.

I do have the bill for our internet in my name though and why I cannot go in with this bill, with my name on it at the address in question and get a permit on the spot is crazy imo.

Nox001; I think that it's to make sure that you, yourself, actually have a car kept where you live, and are not just getting a permit for someone elses car and selling the "space" to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And I'm pretty sure that you need to be on the electoral roll at that rented accommodation, too.

Even if you rent somewhere without a car-park, you may be able to rent a car-park separately.

Nox001; I think that it's to make sure that you, yourself, actually have a car kept where you live, and are not just getting a permit for someone elses car and selling the "space" to them.

But surely if you show them your reg cert which shows your name on it, it proves its your car and the bill proves you live there. The reg will be on the permit so only your car can park in the space.

There is no reason for all the crap, for instance in my case what difference does it make and why would I want to be on the electrol roll in Cork when I want to vote up at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

But surely if you show them your reg cert which shows your name on it, it proves its your car and the bill proves you live there. The reg will be on the permit so only your car can park in the space.

There is no reason for all the crap, for instance in my case what difference does it make and why would I want to be on the electrol roll in Cork when I want to vote up at home.
    As honest as you may be, not every one else is and it is the way it is to stop people abusing the system. Think of it as €2.20 an hr, 10 hrs a day, 6 days a week and 52 weeks a year, it's a lot of money you can save!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED WITH APPLICATION FORM

1. A copy of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate/Log Book of the vehicle in your name at the above address.
    2. A copy of your Certificate of Motor Insurance in your name at the above address.
    3. A letter from your landlord or a current utility bill in your name at the above address (ESB Bill/Telephone Bill/Bank Statement only).
    4. A copy of applicant’s driving licence.
    5. €10.00 fee to be paid only after your application has been approved.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/en/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingPermits/ResidentsPermits/

Taken from the council website. I thought you had to be on the electoral register as well (doesnt say so...), and you'll need the declaration signed by a commisioner of peace. It's a good bit of hassle, but worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

galah wrote: »
    DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED WITH APPLICATION FORM

1. A copy of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate/Log Book of the vehicle in your name at the above address.
    2. A copy of your Certificate of Motor Insurance in your name at the above address.
    3. A letter from your landlord or a current utility bill in your name at the above address (ESB Bill/Telephone Bill/Bank Statement only).
    4. A copy of applicant’s driving licence.
    5. €10.00 fee to be paid only after your application has been approved.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/en/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingPermits/ResidentsPermits/

Taken from the council website. I thought you had to be on the electoral register as well (doesnt say so...), and you'll need the declaration signed by a commisioner of peace. It's a good bit of hassle, but worth it...

Thats strange when i go onto Galway City council website it says 20e but your link has 10e and everything else is the exact same.

Ya think a utility bill and lease would be enough!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

You don't need to have a peace commissioner sign the form anymore and it is €20 for the year. You don't need to be on the electoral register either. I re registered my log book to my galway address, made a few copies and then registered it back to my home address. Only takes a few days to change the address, form is on the back of the log book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement