Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more eircom on Irish jerseys

• 04-08-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Looks like FAI need a new sponser for Ireland

From Breaking News:
    eircom has announced its decision to end its sponsorship of the Irish soccer team from today.

Over the course of the last decade, eircom has invested some €20m in supporting the national teams, the League of Ireland and other soccer programmes over the past decade.

Paul Donovan, CEO at eircom, said: "2010 marked the eleventh year of eircom’s significant involvement in Irish soccer at all levels. During that time, the company has been proud to be associated with the growth of Irish soccer and the many highlights, from the 2002 World Cup to the 2010 World Cup qualification campaign.

"However, as eircom continues its own transformation programme, it is appropriate that the company closes this current chapter of its sponsorship activities and moves in a different direction.
    We wish Irish soccer every success for the future and particularly in the upcoming 2012 European Championship qualifiers."

FAI Chief Executive, John Delaney, said: "eircom have been loyal and good partners to Irish football over the last decade and we thank them for their support. As the company turns a new page in its development, we wish them well for the future."

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/eircom-ends-sponsorship-of-irish-soccer-467959.html#ixzz0vdpdFCoY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Always hated their logos on the jersey.

I think an international jersey should be sponsor free, but thats just IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Unicef
    Unicef
    Unicef

I hate the eircom logos more than I hate the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

gavredking wrote: »
    Very much this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Maybe Rennault will make a bid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

gavredking wrote: »
    Always hated their logos on the jersey.

I think alot of clubs in Ireland would put up with the inconvenience for the funding it brings in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It is very annoying though...
    The point of a replica jersey is that its, well, a replica of what the players wear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Could be something to do with the fact Eircom are potentially going tits up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Seems like a fairly rash decision from Eircom. I doubt the FAI knew this in advance considering Eircom will be emblazoned upon their gear for another 2 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

International jersyeys shouldnt have sponsors anyway, it makes the jersey look gimp.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I think alot of clubs in Ireland would put up with the inconvenience for the funding it brings in fairness.

Oh i agree, the financial implactions are huge for the Football Assocations, iirc Germany a few years back were sponsored by Mercedes-Benz, and when they played a home internaitonal they had the stadium hoardings full of Mercedes-Benz logos and the such. Also they had the logo on their trainging tops and tracksuits, iirc that is.

Thats just one example, but im open to correction, as i could be wrong about the above.

Regardless, ive never liked the Irish jersey and the logo was the only real problem I had with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

FearDark wrote: »
    International jersyeys shouldnt have sponsors anyway, it makes the jersey look gimp.

The vast majority on here including myself would agree with this but the problem is that the FAI will need to get the money that eircom gave them from somewhere which will prob mean another sponsor on the replica jerseys and merchandise.
    Now who would we like ???

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    The vast majority on here including myself would agree with this but the problem is that the FAI will need to get the money that eircom gave them from somewhere which will prob mean another sponsor on the replica jerseys and merchandise.

So we need a sponsor that is going to give the FAI close to nearly 2 million euro a year and that we would all agree on??

Gonna be tough, I expect John Delaney to be along soon looking for suggesitons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Are we allowed a drinks company? I'd say Guinness or Bulmers would do it but when you think about it we are looking for a company that is lloking to raise it's profile in Ireland and can afford a couple of million a year...... That's a tall order I can only think of drinks companies :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Are we allowed a drinks company? I'd say Guinness or Bulmers would do it but when you think about it we are looking for a company that is lloking to raise it's profile in Ireland and can afford a couple of million a year...... That's a tall order I can only think of drinks companies :eek:

All I can see is Ryanair on all the kits now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are we allowed a drinks company?

Not if the Greens have anything to do with it, it's a big issue for them and are constantly in the media on it
    he Green Party will:
    2.1: Work with sporting bodies to bring an end to all alcohol advertising in sports and on sports grounds, including sponsorship of teams or events.
    2.2: Ensure that all sporting bodies are given sufficient support, financial and otherwise, to develop alcohol policies which promote healthy living and can provide a point of access to advice and help for members with alcohol related problems.
    2.3: Push for the adoption of an EU-wide ban on alcohol advertising in sport.

The FAI may have to look elsewhere.
    This is where John Delaney is going to have to earn his salary, finding a corporate sponsor and quickly is a priority

Maybe Lucozade?
    Glaxosmithkline are in Cork. Just throwing it out as a suggestion.
    The FAI could try them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

If they are going to put a companys logo on our international jersey, please let it be a company with a green logo. it'll just camoflage in an we won;t even notice it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seems like a fairly rash decision from Eircom.

In serious difficulty and massive redundancies are on the way.
    Their new boss promised to cut costs and this is an easy one to cut

I wouldn't say it was rash and the FAI are fools if they couldn't predict this was on the way.
    It was very predictable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

This many posts and nobody has said Aviva??? Id be fairly sure thats what will replace Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Melion wrote: »
    This many posts and nobody has said Aviva??? Id be fairly sure thats what will replace Eircom

Thats who I reckon it will most probably be anyways..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Perfect oppurtunity to get Boards.ie on the jersey! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Does this mean we can pick up a replica jersey without a sponsor while they're searching for one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

SportsDirect.com@TheAvivaStadium

Catchy..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The FAI may have to look elsewhere.
    This is where John Delaney is going to have to earn his salary, finding a corporate sponsor and quickly is a priority
    Unless I'm mistaken, isn't this already a massive ****-up by him and the FAI? Presumably Eircom were in a fixed-term contract to sponsor the national team. Have they unilaterally pulled the plug? If they have, they still should be paying the amount due for the rest of the contract. If the contract has ended, why aren't the FAI prepared, why don't they have a sponsor lined up already? Did they just assume Eircom were going to renew?

There's some fairly vital information missing from that news report

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I heard its 3 that will be replacing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Would be nice if the logos were on the jerseys at the behest of Eircom and the new sponsor doesn't follow suit.

They're the nicest national jerseys I can remember and it spoils them to have a logo on the front, especially with the simplicity of the Umbro design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I don't care who it is, but of its on the jersey I won't be buying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

No more free tickets for me :( Used to get them off a friend in Eircom. Certainly wont be paying the FAI anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The Eircom resentment thing is funny. For instance I don't remember people having such a problem when Opel was the sponsor and the replica shirts all came emblasoned with it, despite the senior team not wearing it out onto the pitch. Is it as much about the company in question as it is about the corrupting of the jersey? :confused:
    FreeOSCAR wrote: »

To reflect our finishing positions in future qualifying groups no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Would the Airtricity logo not be there now seen as they took over the former Eircom league?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Would the Airtricity logo not be there now seen as they took over the former Eircom league?
    The league and national team sponsorships are unrelated

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I reckon NAMA would look good on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I reckon NAMA would look good on it.

Or Anglo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

opel1.jpg

TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

122751.jpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i heard 3 were making a bid, just hope they dont have a claus which includs having their logo on the shirt as well, think i would prefer the eircom one if that was the case.

:rolleyes:

shirtee.jpg

irish-stew wrote: »
    i heard 3 were making a bid, just hope they dont have a claus which includs having their logo on the shirt as well, think i would prefer the eircom one if that was the case.

02 Looks good on the Rugby jersey . Could be nice on the Football Jersey

WIZE wrote: »
    02 Looks good on the Rugby jersey . Could be nice on the Football Jersey

no logo looks nice on any international jersey, and whilst it has a logo i wont be buying it, i bought the polo shirt version a few seasons ago and was even disapointed when i discovered a 2euro coin sized version of the logo on the sleave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

:rolleyes:

I'd almost take three as a sponsor if we had to have one, I'd assume it would look something like it does on the Waterford keeper's kit.

2e17q5i.jpg

That said, I'd probably be compelled to get Kilbane 3 on the back if I bought it... :pac:

• Advertisement

1011irelandhomeshirt300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

FreeOSCAR wrote: »

it's 100% 3 Mobile. 3 will be announced as the jersey sponsors from euro qualifiers onwards I'm informed but yeah, it's 3.

Sunset V wrote: »
    it's 100% 3 Mobile. 3 will be announced as the jersey sponsors from euro qualifiers onwards I'm informed but yeah, it's 3.

Source?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Source?

Unfortunately a good journalist never reveals their source but it will be announced at a dublin press conference tomorrow morning. I can delete both posts until then.

Unfortunately a good journalist never reveals their source but it will be announced at a dublin press conference tomorrow morning. I can delete both posts until then.

What about mediocre journalists? :pac:

MrStuffins wrote: »
    What about mediocre journalists? :pac:

ha ha!! I meant to put good in " " but didn't!! You're probably right though!! I will edit post to take that out if you like?

ha ha!! I meant to put good in " " but didn't!! You're probably right though!! I will edit post to take that out if you like?

hahaha, im just messing!

but will the logo be featured on the replica kits

Yep . The FAI need the cash

zero idea about that. i would however presume so because eircom put them on them and you're not allowed have a sponsor on during games so by process of elimination it would mean that there would be??

• Advertisement
Advertisement