Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more eircom on Irish jerseys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

WIZE wrote: »
    Yep . The FAI need the cash

if thats the case, its 40 yoyo or what ever it costs they wont be getting from me.

Sunset V wrote: »
    zero idea about that. i would however presume so because eircom put them on them and you're not allowed have a sponsor on during games so by process of elimination it would mean that there would be??

not nessesarly, plenty of nations are sponsored, but dont sell the shirts with the sponsors name, england and n ireland (sponsored by nationwide), and brazil (were sponsored by coca cola) spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

irish-stew wrote: »
    if thats the case, its 40 yoyo or what ever it costs they cont be getting from me.

Nor me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I cant see 3 agreeing not having the logo on the rep kits .

Even though it wont cost them so much to sponser the Irish team .

Maybe 5m for 3 years or so

I could be completely wrong about the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

not nessesarly, plenty of nations are sponsored, but dont sell the shirts with the sponsors name, england and n ireland (sponsored by nationwide), and brazil (were sponsored by coca cola) spring to mind.

Just to add, England got dumped by Nationwide a couple of weeks ago i think.

Its funny, the FAI want us to pay €50-€60 for their jersey and to walk around with their sponsor's logo on our chest! I don't mind wearing it on a club kit because that is a replica of what the players wear, the the irish shirts never are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yep . The FAI need the cash

You'd imagine they would make more money by leaving a sponsor off. More people would buy the jersey, which would surely bring in more than what the sponsor is paying to have their logo on the jersey.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just to add, England got dumped by Nationwide a couple of weeks ago i think.

Its funny, the FAI want us to pay €50-€60 for their jersey and to walk around with their sponsor's logo on our chest! I don't mind wearing it on a club kit because that is a replica of what the players wear, the the irish shirts never are!

maybe so, but never seen a shirt for sale with it printed on, apart from the training or casual wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

So, how many games did the people who bought the new kit in March get out of it in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

if thats the case, its 40 yoyo or what ever it costs they wont be getting from me.
    €55, not that it matters :p I wouldnt mind the current jersey if i could get it for 40 though
    So, how many games did the people who bought the new kit in March get out of it in the end?
    Edit: The 2 friendlies?

• Advertisement

maybe so, but never seen a shirt for sale with it printed on, apart from the training or casual wear.

I yes i know. I was just adding that.

I'm glad i never bought the new jersey!

jester77 wrote: »
    You'd imagine they would make more money by leaving a sponsor off. More people would buy the jersey, which would surely bring in more than what the sponsor is paying to have their logo on the jersey.
    I would agree with you if it was the 90s or around 2000 but it would be some risk for the FAI without the money from the sponcers

Back then everyone wore Irish jerseys but now Kinds walk around with Club jersey ( United Liverpool ) and no irish jersey in the waredrobe

If you ever go to England . Loads of people are wearing the English Jersey all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I had a Subside sports catalogue a while back which must have 60-70 international replica jerseys in it. Ireland were the only ones with a sponsor on it!

€55, not that it matters :p I wouldnt mind the current jersey if i could get it for 40 though

Edit: The 2 friendlies?

I think they might have worn it for the Brazil game too. Either way, that's 2 or 3 games at best, I'm sure there will be some "delighted" parents out there when they find out their kids want a new one now. I anticipate a Liveline show devoted to this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think they might have worn it for the Brazil game too. Either way, that's 2 or 3 games at best, I'm sure there will be some "delighted" parents out there when they find out their kids want a new one now. I anticipate a Liveline show devoted to this...

If liveline gets us a jersey without a sponsor I'll forgive them for the headshops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

3? Talk about ruining a good jersey...if that logo is on it then I wont be buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    1011irelandhomeshirt300.jpg

Can you do one with George Hook's face on it? :cool:

Can you do one with George Hook's face on it? :cool:

No, but this is how George would design an Ireland jersey

hook1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I've fallen in laaaaahv with a replica jersey....

I've fallen in laaaaahv with a replica jersey....

FAbulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Why do we have to have a sponsor on the jersey? No other country has...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Money, the only thing John Delaney and the FAI are interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Maybe the FAI should have no sponsor on the shirt and double the price of the match tickets?

Confirmed in today's Times that it is 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Maybe the FAI should have no sponsor on the shirt and double the price of the match tickets?

3?

Oh no, now im going be doubley reminded that Kilbane is playing :(

MOBILE telecommunications provider 3 will be unveiled as the new sponsor of the Irish football team this afternoon, with the firm replacing the FAI’s long-time commercial backer Eircom with immediate effect.

The company, which is also the title sponsor of the Irish Open golf championship, held last week in Killarney, is believed to have signed up to a deal that, inclusive of tickets and boxes for international games as well as the potential for performance related bonuses, could be worth around €2 million per annum – much the same as O2 spend on their deal with the IRFU.

Eircom, who had been widely expected in recent times to end their decade-long association with the FAI, claim to have spent more than €20 million on a sponsorship that was, at one stage, set to include naming rights on the stadium planned for Citywest.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0805/1224276242926.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Maybe they should have no sponsor on the shirt and make the difference through extra sales of the shirt. I haven't bought an Irish shirt since the early ninetys because there is a sponsor on it and i know there are plenty more out there like me.

I doubt there was a single person who thought the eircom logo looked good or added to the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I got one with no eircom logo on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

frantic190 wrote: »
    Money, the only thing John Delaney and the FAI are interested in.

I'd say the economies in scale in other countries put those associations in a much stronger bargaining position.

Where and how much?

dan1895 wrote: »
    Where and how much?

Countries with populations far greater than 4.5m and with television audiences to match.

noodler wrote: »
    Countries with populations far greater than 4.5m and with television audiences to match.

I was asking about where he got the jersey with no logo on it. Knew i should have quoted.

Besides nations smaller than our own don't have sponsors on their shirts either. Look at the North or Wales for example.

• Advertisement

Where and how much?

FAI store on Westmorland st. I seen a thread on here and Foot.ie about them. Looks a lot better with a number on front.

Dancor wrote: »
    FAI store on Westmorland st. I seen a thread on here and Foot.ie about them. Looks a lot better with a number on front.

Will be in the area later so will pop in. Cheers

I got one with no eircom logo on it
    Dancor wrote: »

is that if you buy with a player name and no' on? seen similar for sale in lifestyle sports earlier this year, they were selling them preprinted.

Will be in the area later so will pop in. Cheers

Dont think they have them anymore tbh.

is that if you buy with a player name and no' on? seen similar for sale in lifestyle sports earlier this year, they were selling them preprinted.

No, you can get them blank. I decided to get a number though.

I was asking about where he got the jersey with no logo on it. Knew i should have quoted.

Besides nations smaller than our own don't have sponsors on their shirts either. Look at the North or Wales for example.

I honestly don't know, can't recall seeing a North or Welsh replica recently.

We don't have it when we are playing either of course.

I guess the question is, will not having a logo increase sales by enough to make up the €20m forgone?

Is that €20m over how many years?

3 confirmed as new FAI sponsor

Mobile telecommunications provider 3 has been confirmed as the new sponsor of the Irish international football squads, replacing the FAI’s long-time commercial backer Eircom.
    The four-year deal worth €7.5 million will officially begin on August 11th when Ireland take on Argentina in a friendly at the Aviva Stadium on Lasndowne Road.
    3 will also work with “football at grassroots level involving clubs and leagues up and down the country,” a statement released this afternoon read.
    Robert Finnegan, chief executive of 3, revealed there will be “priority ticket bookings for 3 customers” in the future.
    “This announcement officially confirms 3 as Irish football’s biggest fan and the number one network for all supporters. We hope football fans will not only cheer on our boys in green but will support their new sponsor by switching to 3,” he added.
    FAI chief executive John Delaney welcomed the “new and dynamic brand” on board.
    “This is significant sponsorship which is structured to reach out as never before to engage with grassroots football and all the strands of the game that we represent,” he said. “It is a significant investment in the future of Irish football, particularly in light of the current economic climate.”
    Over 10 years Eircom are believed to have spent €20 million supporting the FAI.

Updated

Updated

does this mean we could potentailly buy a sponsor free shirt before august 11th

:D

not a chance i'm transferring to '3' john

;)

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I honestly don't know, can't recall seeing a North or Welsh replica recently.

We don't have it when we are playing either of course.

I guess the question is, will not having a logo increase sales by enough to make up the €20m forgone?

Is that €20m over how many years?

last time i was in derry, only the n ireland trackies and some of the casual wear had the sponsor on (nationwide), the replica shirts had no sponsor on.

I wonder if the British Government funding extends to the IFA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

3AnnounceFAISponsorshipAug10Sportsfile.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    3AnnounceFAISponsorshipAug10Sportsfile.jpg

Do you come with the jersey?

Was in the FAI store and indeed they do have sponsorless shirts................................................if your willing to fork out 90 euro!!!!

Its a limited edition shirt with ireland vs argentina sewn onto the middle with a "10" on front and back but it doesn't have a name on it. I asked would they be getting any plain jerseys with no sponsor or anything and they said no. So it'll be a few more years before they sell me a jersey again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Trampas

Bet they don't give any money off for people who just bought the new one with eircom on it.

Sure the fai new this is hit the supporters twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

The Football Association of Ireland have announced a sponsorship agreement with mobile phone company 3 worth €7.5 million over four years.

3 will become the primary sponsor of the Irish national football team and all international squads.

The deal begins on 11 August with 3 supporting the national team and also working with football at grassroots level involving clubs and leagues up and down the country.

The 3 logo will appear on all training and playing gear and kit.

3 customers will given privileged access to tickets and other exciting initiatives, details of which will be announced at a later date.

Chief Executive of the FAI John Delaney is pleased with the deal: '3 is a new and dynamic brand in Ireland and their determination and drive will bring fresh energy and focus to the partnership.

'The agreement comes at a very significant time for Irish football and I look forward to seeing both sides enjoying success on and off the pitch.'

'This is significant sponsorship which is structured to reach out as never before to engage with grassroots football and all the strands of the game that we represent. It is a significant investment in the future of Irish football, particularly in light of the current economic climate.'

'By coming on board at such an exciting time for Irish football, we look forward to a very beneficial partnership.'

D'oh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I got the new shirt so I am very annoyed at a finding out we have a new sponser on it after only 3 freindly matches , what a joke I wonder if the FAI will give a new shirt to all the people that forked out 60e for a top out of use already this is sicking! What a joke ;(

Kevin Kilbane jerseys all round lads!

1224276271214_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Still looks shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

On the upside, with the standard of refereeing these days, we could see all kinds of cock ups and every yellow card will be attributed to Kilbane thus seeing him sent off in most games.

Feck it, I reckon this might see us qualify!

• Advertisement
Advertisement