Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of Flying? I fly all the time :S

• 04-08-2010 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

For some reason the more and more I get on a plane, the more worried I become that it's going to crash or smash into another plane. I know the chances are I'm more likely to be killed on the way to the airport than in the plane, but I just don't know why I'm beginning to think like this. This summer, I was on 7 flights, and every flight I felt worse than the last. However when I first started travelling, I loved it...even the turbulence!

I'll be going to Cork in 2 weeks by flight and am genuinely not looking forward to it. I was thinking of taking the bus instead...

What's going on!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I know where you are coming from, I take around 4 flights every year and each time I'm petrified. I can't relax the day before the flight and can't eat or sleep up to it. The last couple of years the anxiety hasn't been as bad, before that I would have been known to cancel holidays a few days after booking or refuse to go in the first place.

I've tried cognitive behaviour therapy which helped a lot as did talking to a friend of mine who is a pilot. I tend to be a lot calmer getting on a plane these days but the fear is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 drifting

Hi all,

For some reason the more and more I get on a plane, the more worried I become that it's going to crash or smash into another plane. I know the chances are I'm more likely to be killed on the way to the airport than in the plane, but I just don't know why I'm beginning to think like this. This summer, I was on 7 flights, and every flight I felt worse than the last. However when I first started travelling, I loved it...even the turbulence!

I'll be going to Cork in 2 weeks by flight and am genuinely not looking forward to it. I was thinking of taking the bus instead...

I used to fly a lot so I speak from experience. The horrificness of air crashes weighs heavily and naturally on the mind.:D Against this must be weighed the very low statistical improbability of crashing at all which is certainly not greater than dying in a road accident.:) However, it is well known that often people who are about to die in an air crash have a premonition. :eek: The first matter that you have to deal with, is whether you have had a genuine premonition of an accident, or is it just yourself letting your fears play havoc with your mind. If so, you need to rationalize your fears in terms of the overall risk inherent in life itself.

That said, it is far more eco-friendly to travel in a bus or train, as the amount of jet fuel per passenger used is comparable to driving yourself there in a car. On these grounds alone, I would recommend alternative means of transport other than plane travel where practical.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Go to your GP and get a perscription for something to keep you calm. I can't fly without medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Hi, I'm the same. I'm flying next week and haven't been sleeping well thinking about it. I do however have one thi ng that will get me on the plane and that is a zanex. I ask my doc for 2 of them, one for the way out and one for the way home and that irrational sweaty,:eek: adrenalin filled fear is totally relaxed.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You can do fear of flying courses, no good flying all drugged up.
    http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=3283
    http://www.rte.ie/travel/2008/0919/fearofflying.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Yes you're dead right ,you can't be drugged up. I just got back today, dodgy landing, it was like the landing gear was not going to come down bla bla bla because it's always something! Anyway I totally intend on beating this someday without xanax! I have flown whilist pregnant and couldn't take anything and managed to get there so it IS do-able! but I flew today so tis fresh now in my mind and all I can say is I nearly kissed the ground in Cork! Also I sholu add children are a great distraction.. especially when they're 11 months and can't keep still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

Hi all,

Feel exactly the same lately and fly quite a lot. Dread take off and if you ever notice each take off is so different, all types of sounds. Came home on a half hour flight from liverpool last night and while everyone around me looked calm I was so tense. Husband and daughter love flying and keep pointing out landmarks to me when climbing. All I want to do is be airborne and stay that way. Landing for me not as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Hi all,

Your scared of flying, HTFU or use ferries & trains. or stay put your gonna die sooner or later in a horrific accident :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭timespast

Hi all,

Perhaps there's something else going on in your life and your anxiety is manifesting itself in your regular flights.

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sbhomebird

I used to work in the airlines.. as groundstaff, but flew to guatemala, Vietnam and all sorts of places... and the more turbulence the better....

Now since I've had my kids, I have nightmares about getting on a plane even when I have nothing booked.. It got so bad that my 2 year old had to have an operation in the UK and we took the boat...

I never made the return check ups. My husband just had to go by himself..
    My family live in the States and I haven't been over to see them in 7 years....

Took the Xanax on last flight and had no effect whatsoever...maybe the doc gave me a really low dose..
    .. ..
    ... It's soo irrational... the subconscious mind is so powerful...
    It has totally ruined my life...have tried NLP twice, but had no effect..

If anyone has had any success with a treatment, please let me know

.... ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement