Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergies--dust mite

Options
  • 04-08-2010 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hey was just wondering if somebody might have any advice as to where to get protective covers in galway for bedding to help with my dust mite allergy? I realise it's impossible to get rid of them,I keep room relatively dust free,no carpets etc,and I get all the symptoms whenever in bed.I would rather try this approach before taking all the medications. Anyone with similar experiences??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Try Anthony Ryan's Homestore on Lombard street, they would have best selection of bedding as far as i'm aware, and although i haven't bought anti-allergen stuff there i'm pretty sure a friend has. Sorry to be vague!
    They also have non-allergen pillow protecters and mattress protecters in Argos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 androma

thanks dee,ill have a look in both...hopefully they will improve things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 _Melody_

It is best to do everything possible to avoid hypersensitivity to house dust mites. People who have perennial rhinitis, inflamed mucous membrane of the nose, or are allergic to house dust mites should try to adapt their homes.

• Clean walls, woodwork and floors with wet cloths. The floor can be polished.
    • Only use rugs that can be washed once a week.
    • Use bedding that can be washed often, cotton sheets, washable bottom sheets and synthetic blankets or duvets. Don't use woollen blankets or quilts.
    • If you can, use plastic curtains and dust them daily.
    • Use wet cloths and a vacuum cleaner with a no bag vortex and allergen filter to clean the house thoroughly, preferably every day, but at least twice a week.
    • Wash bedding etc at a temperature of at least 60°C to kill the house dust mites.
    • Leave bedding, duvets, pillows and mattress hanging outside for an hour every day or as often as practical.
    • Put duvets and pillows in plastic bags and put them in the freezer for 24 hours at least once a month.
    • You may want to sleep on a cheap mattress that you can exchange for a new one at least every six months.
    • Dust mites hate dry and cold air, so try to air the house every day.
    • Do not touch dusty objects like books and old clothes.
    • When you are likely to be exposed to substances that give you a reaction, eg when you are house cleaning, you should wear a mask.
    • Don't allow smoking in the house.
    Hope this will help you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IBHC

Dustmites are a mayor problem in mattresses and mattress covers provide little help. For a mattress cover to provide any protection you would need a high quality cover that completely encases the mattress. However if this is to be effective it should be put on the mattress when new. After six months a mattress already has between 50,000 and 2 million dustmites in it, they need to be removed. The Irish Bed Hygiene Company in Dublin has a service that can remove/kill all dustmites, bacteria and mould's from a mattress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

IBHC wrote: »
    Dustmites are a mayor problem in mattresses and mattress covers provide little help. For a mattress cover to provide any protection you would need a high quality cover that completely encases the mattress. However if this is to be effective it should be put on the mattress when new. After six months a mattress already has between 50,000 and 2 million dustmites in it, they need to be removed. The Irish Bed Hygiene Company in Dublin has a service that can remove/kill all dustmites, bacteria and mould's from a mattress

how much do you charge for a king sized bed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 _Melody_

Here's the link: http://www.irishbedhygiene.com/Cost%20&%20Order%20Info.html

e45 plus the price they charge you for the service (e70 in Dublin / e100 outside of Dublin)... to be done every 6 months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IBHC

Hi Melody and Bjorn
    Thanks for your interest. Just to confirm costs for the mattress sanitising service. If just one mattress is to be sanitised then there is a call out charge of 70 Euro in Dublin and 90 Euro for outside Dublin. This would be the total cost for the service. If there was a second mattress to be sanitised, eg. 2 double size mattresses total cost would be 90 Euro.
    1 double size mattress and 1 single Dublin 75 Euro Country 90 Euro.
    The call out charge only applies to a one mattress service and is just to try and make sure travel expenses are covered.
    This is a new service to Ireland with new technology we brought in from Australia, we hope it is going to help dust-mite related allergy sufferers and are trying to keep the costs as low as possible in these hard times.
    Best Wishes.

Advertisement