Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC self install for new customer possilbe?

• 04-08-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Does any one have experience with UPC allowing a new customer do a self install. the cable into the house is already active so theres no need for them to call out.

i would be getting the digital tv, broadband and phone package but the modem needs to go in the attic and they would more then likely mess up the rest of the system and satellite signals

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

MacGyver wrote: »
    Does any one have experience with UPC allowing a new customer do a self install. the cable into the house is already active so theres no need for them to call out.

i would be getting the digital tv, broadband and phone package but the modem needs to go in the attic and they would more then likely mess up the rest of the system and satellite signals

AFAIK there is no self install option as the 'engineer' registers the modem with UPC from your premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

shame, ok cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

You can self install the Tv and BB,provided there is already an existing cable
    on the premises.However since it is a new account they normally send an engineer out,you won't have any say in the matter.

EDIT...Sorry,if the cable is already active,then it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jonathanmatt

I self installed today, just the BB. When I got the TV an engineer came.

For the BB they gave me 2 coaxial cables and a splitter so that the TV could be shared, but they were the WRONG connection for the TV box.

They were screw in ones, whereas the box and wire they gave me 1 yr ago were push in ones.

I got two adapters from the TV shop up the road for €2 each to fit it all together but it was pretty inconvenient. I couldn't imagine getting the correct part sent from customer service any time soon.

In the letter that accompanied the cable modem that they sent out, it stated:
    "If cable is available at your address, you should be able to self-install as long as:

- You have a cable outlet "F" connector (not a push in connector) ..."

But they don't give any help if you don't have this

Just lazy really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,594 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i installed it myself when the engineer came out to install it. If said he needed a letter from the land lord before he could drill a hole. I ended up drilling the hole. Then he said running a cable in the attic was a two man job i did it myself in two minutes. Bloody useless gob****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement